Coopers Community

Fat yak clone from coopers stuff

DKAngel

It's an American Pale Ale style with Cascade and Nelson Sauvin hops, so it should be something you could get somewhere near with a kit. I think the distinction is the heavy late hopping, maybe try the pale ale kit and add a whole lot of late cascade and NS hops?

Hopefully someone else has given it a go.

When I tried Fat Yak all I noticed was the aroma hops...

I reckon you should try this:

Fat Yak.

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

150g Wheat Malt extract - Steep (if you can get some it will help)

250 grams Dextrose

15g Cascade hops @10min

15g Nelson Sauvin hops \u2013 @10min

15g Nelson Sauvin hops \u2013 @0min

15g Cascade hops dry hop

US-05 Yeast

But your could definitely hop this one up some more :D

If you can't get the wheat malt extract, no big deal.

Hi DKAngel,

Nice idea, after 4 Yak's on tap the other night I agree it'd be nice to attempt something similar.

Andrew, I was thinking of doing a brew almost identical to your suggestion except with a can of Real Ale. Have you tried your recipe? If so, how did it turn out?

Cheers, Bear

• 2 weeks later...

i just put down

1x coopers pale ale

1kg ldme

250g dextrose

33g cascade hopplugs for 10min

27g willamette hopplugs 10mins

28g willamette hopplugs 0min

and 32g cascade dry hopped

i had no NS and the only info i could find was ns was a fuggles alternative and so was willamette :/

see how it goes

tastes ok out of the fermenter after 5 days not very hoopy, little bit bitter

might go pretty well in the keg me thinks

• 4 months later...

Andrew,

could you not use Wheat DME, just a little less than the liquid malt.

If you get liquid malt you would end up wasting the rest unless you had somewhear else to use it. Could spread it on toast, we use to have malt on toast when i was a kid. About 65 years ago.

Hi all,

I made a fantastic fat yak clone from coopers stuff - I think it was my best beer to date. It is like fat yak on steriods but I actually think it was nicer than the real thing!

Here is the recipe:

Coopers Real Ale

1.5kg coopers liquid light malt

200g crystal grain (cracked and steeped for 30 mins)

20g cascade 20 min

10g nelson 20 min

15g nelson 0 min

2 packs coopers yeast or 14g

Try it... it's a bloody ripper - it mellows overtime to taste more like the real thing in terms of hoppiness - I prefer it green!

Hi All,

I've tried something very close to PaulM1111's recipe a couple of times.

The second time I added an additional 7gm Nelson Sauvan at three days. Just dumped it in. It was my first try with the DYI fermenter. Great bit of gear.

It's just 3 weeks in the bottle and is a very big hoppy (aroma) brew, more like the Matilda Bay Alpha Ale.

It will round out after a few months, if I can keep it that long!

Ed

• 4 months later...

Tasted my first Yak last night, it is a bit darker than the pale ale, don't know about real ale, never used it. It tasted like it was a pretty malty beer.

Is the real ale dark? If not it may need some darker grain. Just a thought.

Warren

My home beer now is the Fat Yak/Vale Ale style.

This is my recipe

Coopers Pale Ale kit

500-1kg LDM

500-1kg dex(if i use a kg of ldm, i use 500g dex and vice versa)

bout 200g crystal malt.

10-15g cascade @20min boil

crystal malt and 15g amarillo steeped for 20mins

Have tried Nelson and Amarillo, both about the same.

Throw it all in together, primary brew at 21 for about 5 days then let it cool to about 18 for second fermentation for a total of 10-14 days.

Bottle and enjoy!!!! Mmmmm good stuff.

This is bloody good stuff and with now 3 batches of it, its getting better with age.

Hi Dj Labby,

1, When you say "10-15g cascade @20min boil", does this mean you boil the hops for 20 minutes?

2, When you say "15g amarillo steeped for 20mins" does this mean pour boiling water on and let sit for 20 minutes?

Don't mean to be pedantic but have started adding hops to my brews and am keen to get the most out of 'em.

Cheers

Lettuce - Yes you need to put the hops in 20 mins before the end of your boil. 500g of the LDM with 4L of water would give you a suitable gravity for the boil. The steep is liking making tea - if you have a large coffee plunger you could just add the crystal malt and hops with boiling water and let it steep for 20mins before adding the "tea" to the rest of your ingredients.

Fat Yak doesn't have amarillo so if that is what you are after youmight want to use cascade and nelson sauvin instead.

Yah what muddy said.

I'm only new to adding hops and now starting extract brewing. Only been brewing for 3 months now.

I actually haven't tried Fat Yak personally, have heard its similar to Mclaren Vale Pale Ale. I have both amarillo and nelson and used both in my pale ales and can't tell the difference really.

Anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for something to make with my Coopers Sparkling Ale can, other than a sparkling ale.

So I thought I would do a Fat Yak style ale. I haven't really tried to clone it, just use Cascade & Nelson Sauvin hops. Isn't that all it takes?[innocent]

I bottled this yesterday:

1.7kg Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract

300g Dry Wheat Malt Extract

15g Cascade hops (steeped)

15g Nelson Sauvin hops (steeped)

10g Cascade hops (dry hop)

10g Nelson Sauvin hops (dry hop)

US-05 yeast

21 litres

It tasted very, very nice out of the fermenter. I have called it my Sparkling Yak. Sounds like something you do after a big night on it[biggrin]

I contemplated that but I wanted something to throw down quickly and I was after a drop with low bitterness.

I was hoping the bitterness of the can would be enough but I don't mind a little residual sweetness from the malt.

I will crack one open in a couple of weeks. I like to check the progress and see how they develop over time.

Archived