Extra Strong Vintage Ale

Trusty1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these and found it really smooth and pleasing and could see how they could definately get better with age[happy] . My only disappointment was that I was going to recycle the bottle but found out after I opened it the it was a twist top [lol].

Muddy I have tried twist tops before and found the seal a bit dodgey as the beer seems flatter when I go to use it. I have never had that problem with crown seal bottles. Although I did read that there is now a capper ont he market that works for both crown seals and twist tops so that may change my point of view

• 5 months later...
Good to hear that you could get the NS [cool]

4.4 kg of fermentables
A 1.7kg beer kit is around 80-81% solids, which is effectively about 1.36kg dry weight.

Sounds like I nailed it pretty close with the 1.7kg LME against 1.4kg SDME. I'd like to see this new caper that can properly seal twist off bottles as well. I have about enough to bottle a batch with'em,even though they're clear. They'll be in a box or fridge,anyway. Just hate to toss'em.

Any push-on crown seal style capper should adequately seal twist-off glass bottles. The crown seal simply takes on the shape of the threads.

The issue, though, twist off style glass bottles tend to be less robust around the lip area and are not designed for re-use.

Would this recipe go okay with moteuka hops?

Oooo yeah!![love] It might rival the Motueka Slam IPA [biggrin]

Thanks Paul, just the affirmation I was seeking!

The original recipe called for 30g, is there an upper limit that is acceptable? Given the time in bottle it needs to develop?

• 8 months later...

The recipe for the Extra Strong Vintage Ale....

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit,

1.7kg Real Ale beer kit,

1kg Dextrose

45g Nelson Sauvin flowers (30g pellets) dry hopped

Made to 21 litres.

Hey Paul

I'm keen to give your 'Extra Strong Vintage Ale' a go.

In your recipe, do you recommend dextrose because using other fermentables (e.g. DME) would make the beer too thick?

Would it be ok to replace some (or all) of the dextrose with DME?

Cheers,

-Dylan

Thanks guys.

Sorry to be a pain. So I take it you both used Nelson hops? I don't have any, and I'm trying to use up the hops that I've got.

I have some Fuggles, Cascade and Galaxy. If given the choice out of those, which do you think would be a good fit for this beer?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Dyl

Thanks guys.

Sorry to be a pain. So I take it you both used Nelson hops? I don't have any, and I'm trying to use up the hops that I've got.

I have some Fuggles, Cascade and Galaxy. If given the choice out of those, which do you think would be a good fit for this beer?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Dyl

Cascade was bred from Fuggles and Serebrianker in the USA. The Nelson works well with the Cascade (being a fruity hop) together

Your Galaxy with its combination of citrus and passionfruit aromas lean more toward the Nelson.

Time for an experiment i would be thinking

Decisions decisions [biggrin]

Archived