Coopers Community

Extra Strong Vintage Ale

Trusty1

G'day All (esp. Paul)

The tasting notes for the ESVA are not very revealing. I haven't tasted, or even seen this brew in any bottlo. Any chance of a leg up to try to recreate this one, or something similar?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clint - I have just spent 10 minutes writing a response to your post about the possibilities as to why there have been no responses to this thread, but did not post it.

Trusty's Vintage Ale, here I come.

Our Vintage recipe changes every iteration. I remember suggesting a recipe from the CAMRA guide, "Big Lamp Genie" as being a good example(may not be the exact name, the memory is a bit dim on this).

There may be recipes buried somewhere in our forum - just need the time to look.

Thanks Paul. I had a look through the forum here but couldn't locate a recipe. I bought Clone Brews recently and was a bit disappointed to see Vintage was not included.

I had a look through the CAMRA website for Big Lamp Genie but had no luck there either.

I have a kit based brew fermenting with plans to present it to the "Taste Panel" for review. If I get the BIG TICK, it will be placed on the How To Brew section under Strong

How do I make a heavier beer using Coopers can kits and liquid malt extracts? Maybe 8.5%. I want something that I can cellar for a few years. I would prefer something that is red in colour. Like the Coopers Vintage Ale. What yeast do I need?

Thanks

Lucas M

• 1 month later...

Guess who got a BIG TICK [tongue] [w00t] [biggrin]

Having one as I type - verry noice [joyful]

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit,

1.7kg Real Ale beer kit,

1kg Dextrose

45g Nelson Sauvin flowers (30g pellets) dry hopped

Made to 21 litres.

Ferment with our commercial ale yeast at 18C (the two kit yeast sachets may be used instead)

Allow at least 10days to reach FG.

Approximate alcohol: 7.5%ABV (increase the volume up to 23 litres for a brew closer to 7%)

I used NS hops because it's the aroma hop for the 2010 Vintage.

However, you might like to throw in anything you like for flavour and aroma (no extra bittering is needed). Previous vintages have used late hops such as Cascade, Saaz, Hersbrucker, Hallertau and Fuggles(?before my time?).

You could also fiddle around with some judicious use of specialty grains but try it as per recommended recipe first off.

Thanks a bunch PB2. I'll get the bibs'n;bobs tomorrow which I don't have ATM and the yeast will be having a party in the tub in the time it takes to re-culture some APA longies.[biggrin]

Thanks again[joyful] [cool] [biggrin]

Hello All

I just mixed up the above recipe. Did the old leave the tap open trick. I lost 200mls of the kits to the laundry tub as I mixed them with some hot water. [crying] Hopefully it won't change things too much.

A question for PB2 did you dry hop a few days in or straight away?

Thanks

Ant

Hello All

I just mixed up the above recipe. Did the old leave the tap open trick. I lost 200mls of the kits to the laundry tub as I mixed them with some hot water. [crying] Hopefully it won't change things too much.

A question for PB2 did you dry hop a few days in or straight away?

Thanks

Ant

aaaaaggggghhhhhh[annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] I put an irish ale down yesterday, Did I mention I like ale, i like the Irish and I like Golden Syrup???) left the tap over the tub running to take some gear back into the kitchen came back in what I thought was plenty of time to find the level at 25L rather than 20-21L. Oh well, more beer to bottle[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [cool] [cool] [pouty] [pouty] [roll] [roll] [pinched] [pinched]

Out of interest (and because I plan to dry hop 30g cascade on day 2 tomorrow), would cascade and saaz combination work, ie 15g of each? or would they compete/conflict for the desired result? (I have both in the fridge, just wondering [unsure]

I remember suggesting a recipe from the CAMRA guide' date=' "Big Lamp Genie" as being a good example[/quote']

Has anybody got a copy of the "CAMRA" guide? Just wondering if there are many malt extract and partial mash recipes or is it mostly just A.G. stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try making this one today, but not very confident in the hops department, after dry hopping on day 2 does that mean that I leave the bag in the FV until FG has been achieved?

Cheers,

Phillip.

Well I put this on yesterday and chucked the hops in today, couldn't believe my local had nelson sauvin pellets, had trouble finding them online so that was a bonus. There are 4.4 kg of fermentables in this brew I imagine it being higher than 7.5%. But have to say the aroma of the brew when I put the hops in was already pleasing.

Cheers,

Phillip.

Archived