Coopers Community

Chocolate Porter Recipe

John

The season change is really starting to set in our way. Crisp cool mornings/evenings - Autumn is definitely here with winter around the corner.

This has got me thinking (careful folks) about brewing something for the wintery night like a hearty Chocolate Porter, maybe coupled with a citrusy late hop addition(/s) (We get Pacifika/Riwaka/NZ) Cascade here which may be a good fit), maybe something with some speciality grains (i.e. Chocolate grain etc), based on a Coopers Kit (i.e. Darke Ale/ Stout)

Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas?

You could try a variation of SMOTY Ale, substitute EKG with your own choice of hops.

Perhaps, 100g of Roasted Barley/Roasted Malt or 200g of Choc Malt could be added.

Grains need to be cracked, steeped, strained then brought to the boil prior to adding to the FV.

Cheers Luke - appreciate your thoughts, however after a couple of those it would be feet up anywhere. [sleeping]

My initial concern is that the toucan stout may be too much coffee flavours and too bitter - looking for a more chocolate profile balanced by the citrusy hops.[unsure]

Still researching (agonizing?) - will be trying my SMOTY this weekend. Something based on the SMOTY, with 500g Amber DME with some choclate malt (200-300g) and maybe some flaked barley (good head and grainy flavour) and even some cocoa [w00t] thrown in.

Still open to suggestions [lol]

So - here is the proposed recipe for the Double Chocolate Porter. Australian Pale Ale is pretty pricey this way so have used the reserve bench:

1 x can Coopers Orig. Dark Ale

1 x can Coopers Orig. Lager

125g wheat DME (to try to get closer to the Aussie Pale Ale)

150g dark DME

200g Amber DME (for a bit of sweetness)

200g Chocolate Malt Grains (cracked/steeped/strained then brought to boil prior to adding to fermenter)

half a cup of baking cocoa (added to steeped grains

5g @ 15min and 10g steeped - NZ Hallertau (6.5%)- 15min

5g @15min and 10g steeped - NZ Motueka (6.5%)- 15min

Fianl Volume - 23L

use both kit Ale yeasts as well as a half a lager yeast (to approximate Aussie Pale Ale)

Estimated OG - 1.059, FG - 1.016, IBU 54

Any advice/changes that would be recommended by the experts here?

Thanks Paul - will keep the cocoa for the wife's baking.

Murray - APA here is around NZ$29-30 for a tin from the HBS - it is not available in the supermarkets yet. Some have started to stock the International series (i.e. Mexican / Euro Lager atm) for NZ$15 so I hope and wait for the APA to follow. Have been nagging the NZ distributor too.

Paul - not sure if you got my email nag?

At least the NZ hops is cheaper, frusher and butter at the hume brew shup here.(around NZ$3-4 for 50g of hop pellets)

Just curious. Would 1 can of dark ale with 1 can of stout in 23 litres of water be as bitter as hell? What's the rule with the two cans together? Wouldn't a can of any coopers can kit with 1.5kg any coopers unhopped malt tins be much more drinkable? I am very interested to know all the two can combinations as the price is better.

Thanks

Lucas

Just curious. Would 1 can of dark ale with 1 can of stout in 23 litres of water be as bitter as hell? What's the rule with the two cans together? Wouldn't a can of any coopers can kit with 1.5kg any coopers unhopped malt tins be much more drinkable? I am very interested to know all the two can combinations as the price is better.

Thanks

Lucas

G'day Lucas,

Add 1kg of dextrose to the 2 cans you mentioned to 23L and you will have a very close approximation to the commercial Cooper's Best Extra Stout [joyful]

Cheap and easy but tastes fantastic! Certainly not bitter as hell.

Highly recommended if you like Coopers Best Extra!

• 6 months later...
So - here is the proposed recipe for the Double Chocolate Porter. Australian Pale Ale is pretty pricey this way so have used the reserve bench:

1 x can Coopers Orig. Dark Ale

1 x can Coopers Orig. Lager

125g wheat DME (to try to get closer to the Aussie Pale Ale)

150g dark DME

200g Amber DME (for a bit of sweetness)

200g Chocolate Malt Grains (cracked/steeped/strained then brought to boil prior to adding to fermenter)

half a cup of baking cocoa (added to steeped grains

5g @ 15min and 10g steeped - NZ Hallertau (6.5%)- 15min

5g @15min and 10g steeped - NZ Motueka (6.5%)- 15min

Fianl Volume - 23L

use both kit Ale yeasts as well as a half a lager yeast (to approximate Aussie Pale Ale)

Estimated OG - 1.059, FG - 1.016, IBU 54

Any advice/changes that would be recommended by the experts here?

John, I'd like to try a chocolate porter myself - how did yours turn out?

• 10 months later...

Hi all

So the suggestion is that cocoa is a bad idea. But what about actually using chocolate?

I've been thinking about making a double chocolate porter, something along the lines of below:

- 2x 1.5kg cans of Coopers light malt

- 200g of light dry malt

- 300g chocolate malt

- 250g medium crystal

- *whatever hops to get IBU to ~20-25

- **whatever yeast (I'm not a yeast snob)

- maybe/maybe not some (50g?) dark chocolate when I boil the wort from my specialty grains.

- Up to 23L.

* As a guide, I use Warrior for bittering (as it is 17.2% alpha acid, so it's cheap), and I've got some Belgian Saaz (I know you're supposed to use English hops, but Porter seems to be more about the malt).

** I'm still relatively new to brewing. I've used kit yeasts, US05 and Danstar Nottingham ale yeast. I haven't noticed any differences.

This would results in a ~4.5% beer that should fit the BJCP guidelines for a brown porter: a chocolatey/caramelly malt profile, next to no hop flavour and low/medium bitterness.

If anyone has any thoughts on hops, yeast, the use of chocolate, or brewing in general for this one, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,

-Dylan

Don't use milk chocolate!

I've used cocoa, cooking chocolate and even chocolate topping.

However, the best choc stout I make contains no chocolate, only Coopers Stout, Instant Oats and Joe White Chocolate Malt. It's considered by many to be similar (but better) to JS Chocolate porter

Archived