Coopers Community

Chocolate Porter Recipe

John

Cheers for the advice!

It leaves me with two new questions then...

1)So the oats ... Do you steep those with the other grains? I'm new to the use of grains. I always do a 'hot steep' as close as I can to 65 degrees for half an hour, with three times the water as the mass of the grains. Is this the same when using oats?

2)Also, does the Stout can taste like it's got a lot of black malt in it? That's my guess, and the reason why I thought I'd use two pale malt tins with a heap of chocolate (for chocolatey) and crystal (for caramelly) favours.

With the upcoming warm weather, I guess something like this could be a good beer to make, and stash away until winter (or just drink straight away).

As always, I welcome advice from the beer aficionados on here.

-Dylan

However' date=' the best choc stout I make contains no chocolate, only Coopers Stout, Instant Oats and Joe White Chocolate Malt. It's considered by many to be similar (but better) to JS Chocolate porter[/quote']

Sounds nice...care to share your recipe?

cheers

• 1 month later...
Thanks Paul - will keep the cocoa for the wife's baking.

Murray - APA here is around NZ$29-30 for a tin from the HBS - it is not available in the supermarkets yet. Some have started to stock the International series (i.e. Mexican / Euro Lager atm) for NZ$15 so I hope and wait for the APA to follow. Have been nagging the NZ distributor too.

Paul - not sure if you got my email nag?

At least the NZ hops is cheaper, frusher and butter at the hume brew shup here.(around NZ$3-4 for 50g of hop pellets)

John, I'm from Auckland, NZ too. They sell the australian pale ale, mexican cerv and the euro lager for $16-$17 at the New World on Lunn Avenue! I think they also sell it at the New World in Victoria park. Btw, this is my first ever post here

Archived