Coopers Community

German Wheat Beer

AussieJosh

Gday Paul and friends!

Im gonna make the German Wheat Beer from the Thomas Coopers Malt Beer Recipes pamphlet!

MALT: Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt 1,5kg

HOME BREW: Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer

HOPS: Hersbrucker 12g

YEAST: Wheat Beer 15g

Mix to 23 Litres

So I have never used Wheat beer yeast before, with this yeast do i ferment at the same kind of temps as an ale yeast or Lager yeast, Also what about the kit yeast, woUld using a wheat yeast make a big diffrence from the kit yeast

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Taking Paul's not so subtle hints about the importance of the liquid yeast, I tried a variation on this recipe using:

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer

500g Light Dry Malt

500g Wheat Malt

400g Dextrose

White Labs WLP300 liquid yeast

Bottled it on 25th May 2010 and been drinking it from 2 weeks old and I find it's got that slight banana and vanilla flavour that you get with the commercial wheat beers like Franziskaner. Very pleased with it! It's going down a treat in this hot weather [by UK standards] and just bottled a 'Dunkelweiss' version 3 days ago having re-used the yeast with dark malt instead of light.

• 1 month later...

On the weekend I put down the following:

1 x Coopers APA

1 x Coopers wheat Malt Extract

0.5kg Dextrose

recultured CAPA yeast

made to 23L. I added some water that had been boiled with crushed coriander seeds and some lemon zest (no oranges!)

I was looking for a wheat background without it being too over powering, I think! I had a wheat beer when I was in Munich a few years back and it was just too sweet and sticky, but I like the idea of the wheat flavour.

I hope this turns out OK. I can't see why it wouldn't, should just be an easy drinking beer.

Trusty, Australian Pale Ale is one of the lower bitterness beer kits and may not be sufficient to balance the residual sweetness from 1.5kg of wheat malt. Hopefully, the brew hits a reasonably low FG ( less than 1008) or it may turn out too "sticky" for your tastes...wait and see I guess.

Trusty, The recipe looks ok but unfortunately it won't be anything like a wheat. You need to make sure you use a proper wheat yeast. I generally use WB-06 and have had some great results. Using the wheat yeast will give you the clove / bubblegum / banana esters you need for a wheat.

• 2 weeks later...
On the weekend I put down the following:

1 x Coopers APA

1 x Coopers wheat Malt Extract

0.5kg Dextrose

recultured CAPA yeast

made to 23L. I added some water that had been boiled with crushed coriander seeds and some lemon zest (no oranges!)

I was looking for a wheat background without it being too over powering, I think! I had a wheat beer when I was in Munich a few years back and it was just too sweet and sticky, but I like the idea of the wheat flavour.

I hope this turns out OK. I can't see why it wouldn't, should just be an easy drinking beer.

Did a similar brew last year, but used the wheat kit instead of pale. And orange zest instead of lemon. Used a wheatbeer yeast and it came out quite dry. Was an amazing brew but found it tasted better if I let it air for a few minutes.

Heres a beer I made a few weeks ago and it is tasting great. It is a belgium wit (white) beer style. Below is my second attempt at trying to clone a Unibroue 'Blanche de Chambly', still not that close but it is a great tasting wheat beer that is very different to the usual Pale ales I drink.

Bring 3L of water to the boil with lid on brew pot.

Add 1.5kg of Coopers Wheat malt liquid extract and boil past the hot break.

Add 100 grams of home made Belgium candy sugar clear. Easy to make, but if your lazy just add normal white sugar instead.

Add peel of 4 large mandarins pulled apart into 1cm pieces. It is meant to be bitter orange peel but I hear that mandarin is close if you can not source the curacao peel that is used.

Add 25 grams of crushed corrander seeds.

2 cloves crushed

\xbd stick cinnamon chopped up.

1 whole nutmeg crushed.

1/2 star of anise crushed.

1/8 teaspoon of ground cumin.

Boiled the above for 15 mins including 12 grams of saaz hops that I had left over. You can skip the hops as the spices take the place of hops in this style. You can use any spices you feel like if you are missing any of the above, just keep the corriander seeds and the peel.

Added a 1.7kg Hopped Wheat beer kit.

Safbrew wb06 pitchd and brewed at 22 degrees, made up with water to 22L.

A better liquid yeast to use is,

Wyeast 3944 or 3942 which is probably what I need to do to get closer to cloning the beer I am after.

• 8 months later...

Weggl, this may interest you:

A German law:

The Reinheitsgebot (Literally "purity order"), sometimes called the "German Beer Purity Law" or the "Bavarian Purity Law" in English, was a regulation concerning the production of beer in Germany. In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops. The law has since been repealed but many German and American beers, for marketing purposes, continue to declare that they abide by the rule, in an attempt to convince customers that only the three permissible ingredients are used.

A German fellow:

iknownothing.png

Are we not puritans? Should we break the law? If it good enough for sergant Shultz, its good enough for me. Good to see the Yanks are law abiders. These Yuppies are always repealing something or another, where has tradition gone? Would we do a toucan with Coopers and Tooheys, God forbid.

INTEGRITY

INTEGRITY A WORD YOU DON\u2019T HEAR MUCH ANYMORE,

IT SEEMS IT\u2019S GOING OUT OF STYLE.

I REMEMBER WHEN YOU DIDN\u2019T NEED A GUARANTOR,

JUST YOUR WORD A HANDSHAKE AND A SMILE.

HAVE THE DAYS ALL GONE, YOU LEFT THE KEY UNDER THE MAT,

AND THE ICEMAN JUST STROLLED IN WITH THE ICE?

THE MILKMAN\u2019S MONEY ON THE GATEPOST WHERE IT SAT,

CHANGE HE\u2019D LEAVE LEFT OVER FROM THE PRICE.

TRAM FARES WERE A PENNY, FROM WYNYARD TO TOWN HALL,

AND THRIPENCE, WOULD BUY A SERGEANT\u2019S PIE.

MEN GAVE UP THEIR SEATS TO LADIES ,ONE AND ALL,

AND SAD MOVIES WOULD CAUSE GROWN UPS TO CRY.

MEN WOULD TIP THEIR HATS, WHILE PASSING LADIES IN THE

STREET, CHIVALRY IN FACT A WAY OF LIFE.

RESPECT BETWEEN THE GENDER WHENEVER THEY DID MEET,

AND MEN STAYED MARRIED TO THEIR WIFE.

BUT TODAY THE WORD IS TO ACHIEVE AT ANY COST,

STEP OVER THOSE STANDING IN YOUR WAY.

IT SEEMS A THING CALLED MANNERS, SOME HOW HAS BEEN LOST.

INTEGRITY IT SIMPLY DOESN\u2019T PAY.

\xa9\uf87fWARREN EGGLETON

20 JULY 1993

• 2 months later...

I have a T C Brewmaster Wheat beer in the fermenter as we speak...Recipe is basic as per Complete Kit instructions.

1.7kg TC Wheat beer Kit

500g Ligh Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

Yeast was Wyeast Weihenstephaner 3068 Activator pkg

23L pitched at 23C

Was expectiing very active fermentation based on everything I've read. Pitched it on Thursday 28th around noon and had "decent" amount of activity but nowhere near the BLOWOUT fermentation that everyone made note of..Using the new DIY fermenter so blowout not an issue, but was expecting yeast activity similar to the Stouter Stout I brewed last. Is it just me or is this normal?.all else looks and smells good.

Had a few ideas for another Wheat beer as I ordered another TC Wheat beer kit as well as 2 cans Wheat Malt extract. Proposed recipe as follows:

2 cans Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

1.5 oz Mt hood hop pellets

4L water + the 2 cans wheat extract with the hops in bag for 30 min boil.

Add water to 20L mark

Wyeast Weihenstephaner Activator pkg

Pitch at 24C

Its a recipe I found on a different site that was comparing Extract brews to All Grain brews (extract won by wide margin--Coopers Extract specifically-- both 1st taste at 10 days and 2nd tasting 10 days later) It was noted that the higher ferment temperature would make the banana flavors more prominent that the clove and the hops would be failry light as is was such a small amount. What do you think?

My son who lives in Newcastle arrived today and told me that his German Mate who imports containers of Wheat or Wiet, whichever, tried my wheat bear and pronounce it as Good!!

Straight from the horses ass.

Archived