Coopers Community

German Wheat Beer

AussieJosh

Well I'm only a newbie who is on his first home brew 'trip of discovery'. I too am keen to try out a wheat beer as the S/E Aussie summer is fast approaching and the temps will be right.

After trying this at a recent Oktoberfest outing..http://www.bridgeroadbrewers.com.au/beer-hefe-weizen.php , I would love to be able to re-create something that is similar. The clove and banana subtle overtones on the palate and nose were sensational (for a non Coopers produce beer of course)!!

Well I'm only a newbie who is on his first home brew 'trip of discovery'. I too am keen to try out a wheat beer

Being (the) new Muddy

I would suggest you try some of the brews in the "How to Brew" section. The link is just below where the web page says "Hi Muddy".

There is lemon zest weizen listed in the featured recipes that doesn't look to difficult to brew. Oh here's a linky

PS don't change your forum handle its a pleasure to give Muddy some advice [biggrin]

G'day Muddy Jr.

There's a couple of wheat beers in the How to Brew section of the site (Scottie pointed out one).

I reckon that this one Is good and easy.

I did something almost identical:

1 can of the Thomas Coopers wheat beer kit (1.7kg)

1 can of the liquid wheat malt (1.5kg, the recipe says 1kg for some reason)

And most importantly is the wheat yeast. The Safbrew WB06 is what gives the wheat beer the cloves and banana flavours.

This beer has probably the best quality of result to effort ratio out of any of the beers that I've made.

-Dyl

Weggl, this may interest you:

A German law:

The Reinheitsgebot (Literally "purity order"), sometimes called the "German Beer Purity Law" or the "Bavarian Purity Law" in English, was a regulation concerning the production of beer in Germany. In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops. The law has since been repealed but many German and American beers, for marketing purposes, continue to declare that they abide by the rule, in an attempt to convince customers that only the three permissible ingredients are used.

A German fellow:

iknownothing.png

Note that Wheat isn't in there. Any Wheat Beer which claims to follow the Reinheitsgebot is lying for marketing purposes.

Have I missed something?

Anyway, the Reinheitsgebot was modified once yeast was "identified/discovered" so there are now 4 ingredients [happy]

I made a hefeweizen and it's pretty nice - I added extra wheat malt, but I think the one Damien mnentions above would be better. I used the wyeast Weihenstephaner yeast, cos they make the BESTEST MOST DELICIOSIST hefe weissbier (hefeweizen in Schwabia, hefe weissbier in Bavaria).

Archived