Coopers Community

alcoholic ginger beer

Hi to all on the site, it looks great. My ginger beer recipes is 1x coopers GB can, 1.5kg kg raw sugar, 2 nobs of fresh grated ginger (1 nob is equal to the size of you thumb) 1 tsp of ogranic ground cinnamon (use good quality ground cinnamon not the rubbish from coles eg. hoyts, masterfoods etc as it is not 100% cinnamon)I use a brand called Sonnentor & 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. Place cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger in a mesh bag for infusing loose leaf tea, you can buy these from T2 in Brunswick St Melbourne, place in fementer, brew as per instructions. Bottle. Wait a while. Drink. The mesh bag stops the grated ginger from blocking the siphon hole. I wil have to try some of these other recipes.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks - I made a Ginger Beer about 3 months ago and followed this recipe.

It's certainly very gingery and you get a great chilli hit at the end of a swig. Very nice though.

Didn't seem to carbonate very well, though, even though I used standard amount of dextrose - do higher alcohol brews tend not to carbonate as easily?

Cheers, Ross

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Chris [biggrin]

It turned out pretty good but was still lacking sweetness - but maybe I'm expecting a bundaberg GB but alcoholic.

I've had a newer GB in the bottles for about 4 weeks now. It was similar to the last recipe but with more ginger and I also added a cup of splenda to up the sweetness a bit. I'm off the piss for a couple of months and then I'll be overseas for a month after that so I guess I wont be doing any tasting until December [crying]

Just go for it Chris - even a bad ginger beer can be fixed with a splash of lemonade.

• 1 month later...

GB Kit Can

Boil 3 ltrs water and add: (simmer for 15 - 20 mins)

300gms fresh sliced/crushed ginger

25gms powdered ginger

2 or 3 Cinnamon Sticks

4-6 Chillies

300gms dark brown sugar

Add to brew, then add another 1kg dextrose/raw sugar!

This is by far the best GB i have done. I've done a few now, very consistent and alcohol has been reading at 6.8 - 7.2%

The fresh ginger, cinnamon and chilli additions sounds like a great idea! I just made one using:

1x can of Coopers ginger beer syrup

1x kg (1 box) of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

750g of raw organic sugar

and it was good, but could've had more ginger flavour.

Joshm4's recipe would pack a good punch in terms of flavour - and definitely in terms of ABV!!! Mine was only 4.8%... The extra fermentables in the recipe above obviously count!!!

• 1 month later...

Giving this a go today. Decided to combine a bunch of recipes I'd seen so I'm gunna give this a go:

Can of Coopers Ginger beer Extract

200grams of zested ginger

juice & zest of one lemon

1 cinnamon stick

1 kilo raw sugar

450 grams of LDM (Was trying for 500 but it's all I've got)

Made to 20L.

Gunna boil the sugar/ginger/lemon/cinnamon up for ten minutes then mix it with the extract and some water.

Thoughts?

My spin on the ginger beer is a bit of a mead hybrid.

in a 23lt fermenter;

2 tins Coopers ginger beer extract

1-2kg Honey

have added grated ginger in previous brews but I find the double up on the Ginger beer extract pumps the ginger flavour well.

Honey can take longer to ferment out than sugar and some other fermentables so some yeast nutrient will help. Also pitching the correct amount of yeast, so use some of those extra yeast packets that pile up from time to time.

Another variant that I am trying with my latest brew is Champagne Yeast. I made a pretty low gravity brew 1030 (mainly still getting used to the new 60L fermenter and the sheer quantities you have to throw into the thing)but the champagne yeast fermented this right out to 1001 so still ended up with some reasonable ABV by the time it bottle conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello all, looks like many experienced brewers here! I am about to start with GB for the first time and would like to ask if anyone has second fermented in a plastic pressure beer barrel or even used Co2 to carbonate?

I was thinking I could carbonate in the barrel then cool it down to convert the Co2 back into liquid "same as making Champagne"

would appreciate any hints and tips thanks!

Pete

• 3 months later...
GB Kit Can

25gms powdered ginger

2 or 3 Cinnamon Sticks

4-6 Chillies

300gms dark brown sugar

Add to brew' date=' then add another 1kg dextrose/raw sugar!

This is by far the best GB i have done. I've done a few now, very consistent and alcohol has been reading at 6.8 - 7.2%

[/quote']

Hi All,

I'm trying my second brew and have used the recipe above. It's been fermenting for 7 days now and am going to bottle it hopefully today. Have checked gravity over the past two days and it's sitting at 1000.

Silly me forgot to check the OG, so I have no idea of ABV. I made 19 litres.

Is it ok to add 2 carb drops into the coopers kit plastic bottles when bottling today or will I risk a bottle exploding?

Sorry for the noob question- I have no idea!

Cheers guys.

Is it ok to add 2 carb drops into the coopers kit plastic bottles when bottling today or will I risk a bottle exploding?
Yes. One of the benefits with bottling into PET: over-pressured bottles can be easily fixed by unscrewing the lids to allow the gas to escape and then nipped up again. This process might need to be done several times for the pressure to normalise. smile

Thank you PB2. Much appreciated you explaining. biggrin

So I take it that I just have a look at it once a day and if the bottles look expanded, I just open the cap slowly to release the pressure a little and close it?

Do you know for how long I will be needed to do this? 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks or longer?

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you PB2. Much appreciated you explaining. biggrin

So I take it that I just have a look at it once a day and if the bottles look expanded' date=' I just open the cap slowly to release the pressure a little and close it?

Do you know for how long I will be needed to do this? 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks or longer?

[/quote']

How'd it go knight2000? I'm keen to give that recipie a try.

Would you strain the water after the boil or just tip it all in?

GB Kit Can

25gms powdered ginger

2 or 3 Cinnamon Sticks

4-6 Chillies

300gms dark brown sugar

Add to brew' date=' then add another 1kg dextrose/raw sugar!

[/quote']

Hi Joshm4

How much did you make it to in liters please?

Cheers

Dale.

• 1 month later...

Has any one tried brewing ginger beer with 2 of the coppers ginger beer cans. I got 2 with a heap of stuff I got second hand and was just going to put them both in the brew to try and bring the alcohol % up. Would this work or is it a bit of a waste? I've looked at some of the cooper's beer recipes and the ones with high alcohol seem to have more than 1 can.

I'm interested in people's thoughts?

Cheers

Archived