Coopers Community

On the turps? Police suggest homebrew linked to Qld man's death

TimZ1525228685

Nah! Assuming potable water was used, the chances of beer causing death is very, very unlikely.[roll]

There must be some other factor - if beer (made from fermenting wort) actually did kill this person I'll eat an airlock, grommet and sediment reducer.[sideways]

There are lots of cases of home brew deaths in India where it is cut with other things like Methyl Alcohol.

Hopefully this is different though because PB2 looks like having two courses of airlocks and sediment reducers. I'm looking forward to the next thread where PB2 locks in his dessert [biggrin]

We had a stash of the old screw on lid FV o-rings (white version) and I remember them as having a kinda sweet sort of vanilla smell [love] [wink]

BTW, you can chew on a grommet for ages [cool]

Between this thread and the Chemistry thread I am getting scared.' date=' very scared of this home brew hobby.[/quote']

If you decide to pack it in the you could always eat your equipment.

Just reading an updated report on the home brew death & apparently they were drinking grappa, a grape based, distilled spirit & obviously stuffed up the process & suffered methanol poisoning.

I didn't think you could get brewing beer that wrong that it would become lethal.

• 2 weeks later...
Just reading an updated report on the home brew death & apparently they were drinking grappa, a grape based, distilled spirit & obviously stuffed up the process & suffered methanol poisoning.

I didn't think you could get brewing beer that wrong that it would become lethal.

I read the same thing elsewhere on the internet so it must be true.

The end conclusion was these guys where actually producing methanol fuel to use in a car or some other device and decided they would drink some and see what would happen. The grappa story was not far from the truth of what could have taken these lives, research suggest that the average human would need a fair bit of the first 200mls of distilled spirit run off to do any real damage or lastly death from this sort of poisoning.

Archived