Coopers Community

Coopers, why are you part of an anti-recycling campaign?

MattB24

Australia is closer than ever to a national recycling scheme: giving a 5-10 cents refund on every bottle or can. (Making the current South Australian system go national).

But now the Food and Grocery Council, of which Coopers is an active member, has just launched a national advertising campaign to stop the government from implementing it.

Coopers say on their website that they are \u201ccommitted to reducing our environmental footprint through sustainable production practices\u201d but through their involvement in the Food and Grocery Council they seem to be contributing to a campaign that would be devastating for recycling and the environment in Australia.

As a passionate Coopers drinker, i think this is pretty poor form (and a bit of an own-goal from a PR perspective)... What does everyone else think?

Well, I am with Muddy on this. With all due respect but I am not willing to submit an opinion from only the details of someone who appears to have become a member of this forum only to bag out it's owners.

It appears to me that since this is your first post, you only registered as a member to do it and possibly raise controversy to the site.

Maybe intentional, maybe not. I'll let the punters decide. [rightful]

No I know nothing about Coopers being involved in any such organisation, but what I do know is this. I used to live in SA when container deposits started, (as they are now I mean)and last year it was introduced here in the Territory, it met with a great deal of resistance and the SA model was not adopted in it's entirety which caused some problems, it also created substantial price increases to the products (particularly beer!) The funny part about it was that much of the resistance that the legistration met with was from some of the Aboriginal organisations, the very people who could have benefited from it with some education.

In my academic studies I was always taught that a statement required evidence and reference for that matter. This is merely nothing but a smear and rant with no circumstantial evidence to support it and actually borderlines slander. I would be quite careful before starting threads like this as legislation applies to this kind of things on computers also. I'm with the rest of the crew, provide evidence or make this you're first and last post I say. (Sorry my version of a rant that means minimal to the scheme of life. Supporting an Aussie company who supports me [kissing].

Home brewing has a significantly less carbon foot print than commercial beer. Coopers is the number one producer of home brew products. So Coppers do a lot for the environment. Also you should check out the video about the new factory.

Having studied waste management at Uni I can tell you that their is some evidence that deposit recycling is not the most efficient way to reduce waste and that other methods are just as effective which have less economic impacts.

Just as an aside, the fact that Coopers may be represented on the food and grocery council doesn't mean that any opposition to the introduction of a deposit scheme is endorsed by them...I voted at the last federal election too, but not for anyone who is in power!

I tried to find some info on all this and ended up on a "Get Up" site which actually suggested some alternative beers to Coopers as a way of protest. One of the brands suggested was Little Creatures (their Pale Ale is great BTW) but they are owned by Lion Nathan which is also a company they suggest avoiding due to the same issue.

I'm confused [annoyed]

• 2 weeks later...

Here in the US only 6 or so states have recycling deposits on bottles and cans. Here in Maine we do and it has worked out great.

Much less bottle and cans on the side of the roads, but unfortunately you see many more bums in the side of the road "mining aluminum" [biggrin]

works out good for brewers cause we can go to the recycling center and get bottles for 25 cents each [w00t]

extrapolating down muddy, I think you will find that Obelix is in fact sniffing...

[innocent]

By way of suggestion to the OP, (weather he/she in fact raises his/her head again)

Why not just email Coopers direct? Im sure you will get a satisfactory response.. all you are likely to get on the forums is provide evidence or f--k off

Yob

Hi Folks, we appreciate the ongoing discussion regarding the national container deposit scheme. Coopers will remain a member of the Australian Food and Grocery Council as there are a number of advantages for being a member of this body. For further information on the Australian Food & Grocery Council\u2019s campaign please contact the Australian Food & Grocery Council direct.

Coopers will continue to...be actively involved in the operation of the Container Deposit Scheme in South Australia which has been in place for 35 years. Nationally, there are other recycling options to consider that may achieve similar objectives and at less cost to consumers. Coopers supports the informed evaluation and review of these alternatives by Federal, State and Territory Governments.

Thank you for your interest and concern in this important matter, further inaccurate or inappropriate posts will be taken down and/or users will be blocked. Please refer to our Community Guidelines. Thank you and have a great weekend.

whats it say for those of us who have the face book hate and have never had an account?

ahahahaaa.... well done Yob. You are the only other person I have heard, a part from some oldies, that refuse to open an account than me.

It craps me when I hear about people wanting to make people their friends when they haven't seen them for years. WTF now then I say.

Yep, I too have never had a Facebook account. Just too much shit already. Also don't have Titter etc either.... "right now I am taking a dump"... "and now I am reading the paper"... who really gives a shhi!t and if people do then what a waste of time... I'd rather be brewing!!

Sorry can turn the rant button off now.

Wow, that all sounds terribly diabolical [biggrin] ....It's an outrage I tells ya!

But seriously, the only bit that raised my ire was the "Hi folks" bit....bit snake oil salesmeny for me. But I also hate being called sir....so maybe I guess it is something I'll just have get over [biggrin] . The rest sounded quite reasonable to me.

Yep' date=' I too have never had a Facebook account. Just too much ****already. Also don't have Titter etc either.... "right now I am taking a dump"... "and now I am reading the paper"... who really gives a shhi!t and if people do then what a waste of time... I'd rather be brewing!![/quote']

That's a shame Bill. I would be very interested in hearing about your bowel movements [sick]

I signed up to Facebook a couples of months ago to see what the fuss was about. I am still waiting on getting some friends though [crying]

It isn't the samme when you have to comment on your your own posts.

But seriously' date=' the only bit that raised my ire was the "Hi folks" bit....bit snake oil salesmeny for me[/quote']

Yeah, I was waiting for the chant to start:

Monorail, monorail, monorail. monorail ......

Archived