Coopers Community

Length of primary fermentation

c43559

I'm still fairly new to home brew and I'm currently brewing my second lager and i used 1kg of brewing suger and followed all the instructions. After 3 days of fermentation at approximatly 26 degrees I took a specific gravity which was 1.006. This seems to have fermented very quickly. My question is, is this common? Is it ok to bottle after only 3 days?

Cheers K_Message

I put on a Sparkling Ale recently that was finished within three days, so it's quite possible that yours is finished too. But leave it for a few more days to clear.

Even though 26C is within the recommended range, try keeping the temperature closer to 20C. You'll end up with a far better beer as yeast tends to produce off flavors the hotter it is.

It's a case of do as I say, don't do as I do :lol:

Yeast can behave differently from ferment to ferment. A particular yeast strain with the same brew and the same ferment temperature won't always finish at exactly the same gravity. Your brew achieved 1006 in 3 days and it may have finished fermenting...the only way you can be confident about this is to take a specific gravity reading then another reading at least 24 hours later. If both readings are the same you can bottle off.

• 6 years later...

Gday Guys, I have an English Bitter (Coopers Eng Bitter Can, 500g malt and standard Coopers yeast) in Primary fermentation. I made it late in the afternoon (day 1) and by morning was madly bubbling away. At the end of the second day it was still going strong, but over the second night it stopped bubbling completely. Now having read the FAQ, I appreciate that this is not necessarily the end of the world! There was still lots of foam and condensation in the fermenter after it had stopped bubbling. To my limited knowledge there was no tell-tale signs of infection (except the sudden change to the fermentation). The only "bad" thing I might have done was to unscrew the fermenter lid to check the seal - the lid was off and on in 30 seconds or so. Anyway, its now day six and I have just left the the fermenter as is. I have increased the temp (was hovering around 21C, now at around 24-25C) There has been no bubbling from the air lock and the surface of the brew has a smattering of bubbles. The water in the air lock is equal, suggesting there is no pressure from inside the fermenter. If I force some air throught the lock, there is no bad smells. I have no idea whether the brew is buggered or whether it might be OK. I tested the SG (on day 6), which about 1010. Help...anyone??

Relax, all looks good. Just remember that your SG readings are the true indicators of fermentation.

At 1010 it is probably just about finished. Leave it for another week to clean up and then bottle.

Everything seemed pretty normal to me.

Yeah like Hairy said..... everything is going fine. You should ignore the airlock as all it does is confuse people. Even better, get rid of it altogether.

Nevertheless, you should never try to force air into your brew. Air, or more specifically Oxygen, you don't want touching your brew at all after you pitch the yeast.

Another thing you want to keep in mind is your temperature. 24C-25C is too high imo [pinched] try get your temp down around 18C-20C.

Cheers Lads!! Very much appreciated. Interesting about the temp. I thought the bitter needed to be a little on the warmer side. Oh, BillK, I gave the barrel a light squeeze to push CO2 out, rather than air in - good point anyway, thanks.Anyway, I'll take the advice and get on with it. Thanks again.

Oh' date=' BillK, I gave the barrel a light squeeze to push CO2 out, rather than air in - good point anyway, thanks.Anyway, I'll take the advice and get on with it. Thanks again.[/quote']

If you push the Co2 out then something will replace it..... in this case that something would have been air. Nevertheless, it is not a lot to worry about and it most likely would be fine. Just remember there is never a need to squeeze the FV in future because it will increase the likelihood of Oxidation and/or infection. [pinched]

Archived