Coopers Community

Becks clone

Jay

Dya reckon cold crashing for say 5 days would help too?...

or even more? I could maybe get away with getting the FV in the fridge for a week or so.

thoughts?

cheers jay

I was thinking more for the conditioning process, that maybe a week in the fridge after say 2-3 weeks fermenting, would be better than just straight into a dark cupboard at 15-23 degrees.

And like you say would also have the bonus of helping clear the beer.

cheers j

Jay

It has to be better for sure. At fridge temperature your Lager yeast would still maintain some small degree of activity and hence condition the beer as well as settle out.

I think it a worthwhile exercise and will both improve the flavor of the beer and its clarity. If you were to rack to a secondary and add some gelatine once it is at fridge temperature you might be pleasantly surprised at the clarity.

For me I would not waste all the time and effort with a lager unless I was hoping to get a lovely clear beer.

Right I'm gonna give it a crack and see how long I can get away with the FV in the fridge until the good wife starts to suggest we need to buy a brand new, much bigger $4000 Westinghouse (assuming that that is a brand of fridge or is it a vacuum? anyway you get the point)

will post how it turns out.......... in the new year.. ;)

Interesting.

I know we all say don't take any notice of what the instructions on the tin say, but this is from the Coopers Czech Pilsener recipe.

STEP 4: ENJOY

While we recommend leaving your bottles to condition at or above 18\xb0C for at least 2 weeks - Lagers generally benefit from further conditioning. Any slight sulphur aroma should dissipate with further conditioning.

why wouldn't they recommend colder conditioning temps if that was the go? or at least say 'colder conditioning temps are preferable' or something like that.

cheers Jay

Interesting.

I know we all say don't take any notice of what the instructions on the tin say, but this is from the Coopers Czech Pilsener recipe.

STEP 4: ENJOY

While we recommend leaving your bottles to condition at or above 18\xb0C for at least 2 weeks - Lagers generally benefit from further conditioning. Any slight sulphur aroma should dissipate with further conditioning.

why wouldn't they recommend colder conditioning temps if that was the go? or at least say 'colder conditioning temps are preferable' or something like that.

cheers Jay

They are basically saying 14 days at 18\xb0C+ to carbonate and a longer time at lower temperature to condition.

Now whether it is better to lager first and then carbonate or whether it makes little difference it you carbonate first I will leave to the lager gurus.

I wonder if bottle pressure effects the yeasts ability to condition the beer in a bottle?

I think most serious lager brewers would recommend to lager it in a glass secondary at low temperature then add some yeast before bottling. Then give it 14+ days to carbonate at 18\xb0C+.

I'd be interested to find out what sort of difference lagering in the bottle makes compared to lagering in a carboy or something. I don't really have the means to do that anyway because it would tie up the brewing fridge for ages and I'm not prepared to do that. I've got an oversupply of empty bottles at the moment because of that other lager being in the FV for 5 or 6 weeks so it's pretty much constant brewing. Not that I'm complaining though. [biggrin]

Right, I think the only way to find out is to bottle after 2 weeks fermenting. Add the sugar. Leave some in a cupboard around 15-23 degrees (depending on weather) and see if I can manage to keep some in the fridge for a few months and see what the difference is.

Might have to wrap the fridge-dwelling ones in barbed wire, or put a picture of Delta Goodrem on them to stop any of my mates knicking them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well bugger me sideways with a pineapple, just tasted my lager after only 12 days carbonating in natural sydney weather (15-21ish) and few hours in the fridge. Bloody promising I tell ya. Lovely big white head and a great taste considering its infancy. Ooooh am so chuffed with it! Been getting a bit sick of my hopped up brews, being a bit rich and full on at times. Gonna be hard to let them sit for a few months I tell ya!

Thanks everyone for any tips from this thread!

Nice to be back on the blog too, been busy trying to buy a gaff, stroking the belly of my wife (15 week bub) and making sure any potential property has adequate brewing facilities!

Hope you're all great

Cheers j

Archived