Coopers Community

I GOT A FRIDGE !

Polarian

YAY ... finally ... i've been looking for a fridge for my FV for a while now , broken , working , din't matter just wanted a nice area to keep my FV properly temp. controlled lol , instead of my yeast being like 30 c !

So i got a 30 $ fridge from the op shop today , its like a large bar fridge and i had to remove the "ice / mini freezer " part so that my coopers FV with the collar would fit nicely.

So i ripped out that part and crimped the gas part and hopefully i have done a good job and the main fridge part still is gas'd up !

I plugged it in and its been running for 30 min only and has dropped from 29c to 24c so i'm confident it's working , ill put a brew on in a few days ....

The temp control inside fridge is like a 1 to 6 scale like coldest to not so coldest.

have you guys used fridges ... and basically what i am asking is i want to hit like 18 c for my perfect brew twmp for 14 days of lager , draught and stout ?

do you guys turn ya fridge on and off ? or have you found that setting your fridge to warm works ?

You need to get an STC-1000 temp controller to plug your fridge into. This unit turns the fridge on and off to maintain whatever temperature it's set to, so basically it acts exactly the same as the fridge thermostat but you can set it to much higher temps than the fridge settings will allow, which just so happens to work out excellently for us homebrewers.

You can find them on eBay for between $20-$30, just do a search on STC1000 and they'll come up. They're a piece of piss to wire up, but if you're not confident with doing that, there are places that sell them all pre-wired ready to go.

how about temps ... there's probably no easy answer ...

but knowing that i mostly brew the standard coopers Stout , Lager and Draught.... what's a good temp anyways ? 14 days @ 18 will do for most batches ?

yeah most do 14 days at 18 for ales, think its 12 for lagers from memory but dont quote me on that (not a lager brewer)

best to read your yeast recommended temps from the companys website to find the temp range they say and stick somewhere near the middle

Well done on the fridge, your beer will love you for it and in turn you will love them. You need the STC 1000 though, without it you will have difficulty controlling the temperature.

The fridge and STC 1000 will be your best investment in your journey for better beer.

+1 for Muddys advice

Just make sure to wire it correctly Izac or you'll be like a big kid with fire [pinched] works.

will do muddy. my son in laws mate is a fridgey...guess whose getting shouted a few beers [biggrin]

Just make sure to wire it correctly Izac or you'll be like a big kid with fire [pinched] works.

will do muddy. my son in laws mate is a fridgey...guess whose getting shouted a few beers [biggrin]

It's great how we all seem to "know a guy" who can get things done for a few beers? Good country! [lol]

DAMN IT ! , after a few days my fridge is only maintaining a temp of about 25c by itself lol. I would put this down to my fault because i either didn't crimp the gas line to freezer part or even if i did crimp it correctly too much of the gas had settled in the freezer part. I'm gonna see if i can get a friend of a friend to re-gas my fridge but atleast it was only a 30 $ failure if i can't get it working again. for now i might just keep rotating frozen bottles of water every day and maybe i can keep a un-plugged fridge around about 12 c ...

also going to keep hammering the op shops and this time i might get a fridge big enough that i don;t have to remove any freezer boxes so my FV will fit ...

and yeah , im ABSOLUTELY gonna gonna get a ST 1000 aswell

DAMN IT ! , after a few days my fridge is only maintaining a temp of about 25c by itself lol. I would put this down to my fault because i either didn't crimp the gas line to freezer part or even if i did crimp it correctly too much of the gas had settled in the freezer part. I'm gonna see if i can get a friend of a friend to re-gas my fridge but atleast it was only a 30 $ failure if i can't get it working again. for now i might just keep rotating frozen bottles of water every day and maybe i can keep a un-plugged fridge around about 12 c ...

also going to keep hammering the op shops and this time i might get a fridge big enough that i don;t have to remove any freezer boxes so my FV will fit ...

and yeah , im ABSOLUTELY gonna gonna get a ST 1000 aswell

Hi there P, i do remember an old thread where you said you wanted an old fridge that wasnt working[lol]

mate, i hope you can salvage it, but in the meantime chase up the STC1000. Good luck

Way to go Zac! Set and forget brewing is the greatest![cool]

yes im really pleased..then getting the mill for 20 bucks its been a big week for me

Is the Corona mill the same as the Victoria mill? That's what I have, and it's served me really well. I've wrecked several drills trying to make it easier on myself though.

Got through 1KG of grain out of 6.5KG yesterday with my cordless. Killed both batteries and produced a lovely burning smell. Had to crank the other 5.5KG by hand. Just as well my right arm and wrist are already well built. [innocent]

Way to go Zac! Set and forget brewing is the greatest![cool]

yes im really pleased..then getting the mill for 20 bucks its been a big week for me

Is the Corona mill the same as the Victoria mill? That's what I have, and it's served me really well. I've wrecked several drills trying to make it easier on myself though.

Got through 1KG of grain out of 6.5KG yesterday with my cordless. Killed both batteries and produced a lovely burning smell. Had to crank the other 5.5KG by hand. Just as well my right arm and wrist are already well built. [innocent]

im not sure what the victoria mill is like. i was reading some mods to do to the corona mill to set it up for the drill etc. im going to make a bigger hopper for it too...all boys toys lol

Archived