Coopers Community

Starsan and Adelaide Tap Water... Doh!

PhilboBaggins

A question for all you Adelaidians who love Starsan as much as I do.

Do you use our cruddy tap water to dilute it?

When I do, it turns cloudy within 20min and I don't feel comfortable with that at all. I currently use distilled water from the supermarket and it's fine, but I'm finding it to be a PITA, especially when I run out, it's not really a cost thing.

Is that just the cross we have to bear for having crappy tap water?[crying]

So it's okay to use it as a once off even if it's cloudy? If that's the case it'll save me a butt load of hassle. [happy]

Any one else got their 2c?

That explains why ive grown up mentally disturbed...i cant recall Adelaide but i was born there lol

I mix my Starsan in a garden variety squirter bottle which isn't see through.

The only time I have a look at the mixture is when I put some in my bottle washer and from memory it is usually a bit cloudy.

You have got me interested now, Phil. I will have a better look next brew.

I am not sure we are on the same supply line as Adelaide with our water though.

[crying]

NEVER use tap water with Starsan if you want to get value for money.

Go to the RO water machines and get about 15L of RO water for $3. I only use that for starsan and storing rinsed yeast. It will last you a year.

The Starsan solution will be crystal clear still after 6 mths and multiple uses.

Can not vouch for benefits with yeast storage under RO water but Chris and Jamil recommend it and that is good enough for me.

[crying]

NEVER use tap water with Starsan if you want to get value for money.

Go to the RO water machines and get about 15L of RO water for $3. I only use that for starsan and storing rinsed yeast. It will last you a year.

The Starsan solution will be crystal clear still after 6 mths and multiple uses.

Can not vouch for benefits with yeast storage under RO water but Chris and Jamil recommend it and that is good enough for me.

Well spoken John. Tried tap water, then listened to a podcast that Yob linked me to. Never trusted tap water since.

Thanks for the links bro. That's way better than what I'm getting.

Melbourne water rocks, tap water is fine if it isnt too hard.

From memory, if it foams it's still good, but yeah, cloudy aint great.

I mix up 20lt at a time and generally waste a fair bit. But its cheap as chips so dont really give it much thought

From memory, if it foams it's still good, but yeah, cloudy aint great.

I am a little confused with that one Yob. One report I read suggested if it is cloudy then it is cactus and another one suggested that it was still effective when cloudy.

The only thing that all agreed on was that if it is clear and foamy it is all good. So based on that I only use clear Starsan solution.

Agree it is cheap but it is a PITA to mix it when you are in a hurry and I always manage to get that damn acid on something.

tap water is fine, the mineral content of the water will turn Starsan cloudy but it is still effective.

Using RO or deminerlised water is better because when it turns cloudy you know it is a weakened solution and should be replaced.

So, if using tap water how can you tell if a batch is still effective? pH. Once the pH is above 2.7, I ditch it. And even that is being cautious (it is effective at ph3.0 or below). When I first started using it, I would check the pH every time and found it took weeks of re-use before the pH drifted. Now I rarely test it; comfortable, with past observations, in the knowledge that a cloudy solution of StarSan is highly effective.

Of course, if one wished to mix a big batch to keep for many months, RO water is the smarter move.

BTW.

Starsan is made in the States an, at times, difficult to get.

Craftbrewer in Brisbane are the only ones holding the importation rights in Australia.

Keg King has commissioned a chemical company to come up with a locally made version and they believe what they have formulated to be identical to StarSan (and cheaper, of course).

They sent me a free bottle on friday to compare and review, which I would do today if not for the hangover... So stay tuned for my observations...

Hey Ned - Starsan (and iodophor) are great no rinse sanitisers. When mixed correctly you just need to give your brewing bottles and stuff a quick squirt or spray and you are good to go with a minimum of contact time and of course no need to rinse it off.

Of course your gear should be cleaned of crud. Starsan you would just use on clean stored bottles etc that just need to be sanitised before use.

Hey Ned - Starsan (and iodophor) are great no rinse sanitisers. When mixed correctly you just need to give your brewing bottles and stuff a quick squirt or spray and you are good to go with a minimum of contact time and of course no need to rinse it off.

Of course your gear should be cleaned of crud. Starsan you would just use on clean stored bottles etc that just need to be sanitised before use.

Damn!!!Something else i got to buy now lol

as opposed the the other sanitisers that need to be rinsed i gather???

I use Iodophor. I mix it a liter at a time. I have a 1L jug and a small syringe next to the bottle of the stuff. Dead easy! Throw the Liter of water in the bottom of the FV squirt the 1ml of iodophor in and give it a shake, splashing everywhere inside the vessel. let it sit for a couple of minutes and pour the rest of the solution into your spray bottle. The spray bottle is great for sanitising your intruments.

Damn!!!Something else i got to buy now lol

as opposed the the other sanitisers that need to be rinsed i gather???

Yep, for example of you use bleach or similar you'll need to rinse it your bottles and equipment thoroughly before use. I rinse out my bottles with tap water when I empty them and then store them until I want to put beer in them a which point I give them a squirt using my bottle rinser (another useful bit of kit). For my fermentor I just give it a quick hose out after bottling and then soak it overnight (or longer) with 1/2 a lid of coles nappy wash for sensitive skin (the sensitive stuff has no perfume). The nappy wash does the cleaning for me. I then give it a rinse out with the hose and dry and store it until I make up my next batch at which point i just splash a bit of starsan around inside to touch all surfaces and Bob's your uncle.

I also have a small spray bottle which I spray on any spoons, sieves, bottling wand, surfaces etc. Basically anything that will come in contact with my brew or ingredients.

Nappy wash and Starsan are 2 of my favourite things [biggrin]

It is the surfactant that makes StarSan a great no-rinse sanitiser. The foam holds the Phosphoric acid to the surface and gets into hard to clean spots (eg: handle on a cube).

It is very fast acting, contact time is less than two mins and needs no rinsing or drying.

Iodophor is easier to get and just as easy to use, is also no rinse but does require a longer contact time and air drying

It is the surfactant that makes StarSan a great no-rinse sanitiser. The foam holds the Phosphoric acid to the surface and gets into hard to clean spots (eg: handle on a cube).

It is very fast acting, contact time is less than two mins and needs no rinsing or drying.

Iodophor is easier to get and just as easy to use, is also no rinse but does require a longer contact time and air drying

One thing I learnt was that Starsan has it over Iodine(Iodophor) and Bleach (chlorine) in that the latter are rendered ineffective in the presence of sugar. Wort of course contains sugar. Starsan is effective in the presence of sugar. Hence if there is some residual crud containing sugar on your equipment then that can have an impact on the effectiveness of Iodine or Chlorine based sanitizers.

Another plus for Starsan is it does not bleach your clothes or stain like iodine.

Also if you like to breath into your fermentation vessel then it is great to gargle with Starsan first. Bet you can't gargle with bleach or iodine.

NO Hairy just kidding but I do wash my hands in it when handling things.

That's what I thought. But you never know these days; all those people with their strange fetishes [biggrin]

I will often spray my hands with it too.

Archived