Coopers Community

Is it infected?

Heinrich

I have bought a complete coopers set with lager. This is my first attempt ever to make beer. When i got everything the box was opened. Everything was inside. I was not sure if i need to take extra care and clean it better than the video instructed me to do but i rinsed it out normally with hot water.

I am in day four of my first fermentation stage.

I have some particles floating around inside and there is some white substance at the bottom. I am really scared that its going to be infected. Can any one else tell me otherwise? I did sample of the beer. It gives you a sharp smell when you open it (Not vinegar like. More like beer.) and the taste is OK with a little bit of a after taste.

Any one please help!!![crying]

The white substance would just be dead yeast cells and other crap, commonly known as "trub". It appears with every brew. So that's nothing to worry about. The particles floating I don't really know. But if it doesn't smell bad or taste bad then it's probably not infected. I'm guessing it tastes like warm flat beer? The best thing you can do is just leave it alone and not open it. The more you open it the more you risk infecting it. Also, what temperature is it fermenting at?

Damn thanks a lot.. I was stressing out a little.. I am keeping it in solid 24 blue 26 green. I am staying in South Africa in the Western Cape. Where I am at the temperature is avg 35C outside today is was 40C so i am struggling to keep the temperature low

Yep, the best advice I can give you is leave it alone until you're ready to bottle.

Then give it a month in the bottle.

Also keep your expectations low - remember its only your first of many brews, and you'll get better at it as you go along.

My first was very ordinary - but after 18 months I'm really starting to kick goals and I'm now making beer I love to drink.

Ok last question. I am on day five. I will check the gravity tomorrow and check it again on Saturday. If i bottle it and store it. Must the temperature be at 18C? or close to it? As i said before its known to be in the 40C where i am staying.

The temperature needs to be high enough so that it carbonates but temperature control at this stage isn't as important as during the primary ferment.

It doesn't matter if the temps warm up to mid to late 20's, your beer will be fine. But you wouldn't want them sitting in 40 degree heat. Try to find a pace in the house where the temps are a bit more suitable. The living areas tend to be best because people try to maintain comfortable temps in those rooms.

I hear ya about the high ambient temps...try putting the FV in a tub big enough with some space around the sides. Cover with a towel or 2 and fill the bottom with about 1-2 inches of water. Use frozen PET bottles or those reusable ice blocks to keep it around 18-20.

I did this for my 2 current brews, and actually got it colder than I wanted...

Archived