Coopers Community

Good score....sort of

Nick

Not really no, though when Im out the shed they do flow with some scary sort of regularity [lol]

I got mine because Ive got the bub coming along in April and I realised I was going to need more time, so though I enjoyed bottling it did consume quite a bit of time, so I decided to upgrade and be done.

Now I can 'bottle' a batch in about 20 minutes from start to finish.

And I got the taps (Andale Floryte's) stupidly cheap.. that helped [cool]

I now have to test my willpower. Just carbing my first keg now.

Forced carbing? Ross Method? or just to serving and leaving it?

I wish I had the space for a keg setup, otherwise I'd either be looking into it or already doing it by now. Maybe it'll just have to wait until I find a woman silly enough to marry me and have our own place...[lol]

Can't complain at all though, I am really enjoying the beers I've made, and even more so now that I've been able to go AG. The first one I made (Cascade Pale Ale) was a winner at a get together at my friend's place on Sunday. [biggrin]

So glad that this thread went to the Kegs [w00t]

I've got four on the go, two in the Kegerator and two in a fridge ageing. I've also got two in the post.

They do have their drawbacks

$$$$ I didn't want my setup outside so it had to be the Kegerator. So to begin I purchased 3 19l cornys locally for $220 and a Kegerator for $500. Then you I got a bottle, $200 and damn it I need some fittings.. a couple of Ys or Ts gas in gas out one way valve $168. So for $1088 I was on the way.

Now I needed another fermenter, this beer evaporates out of the kegs, the Angel's share I'm sure. Then I decided perhaps I'm drinking it all so I started brewing middies around 4.2%.

Then after a time bottling became a real chore. Need some more kegs, 3 from CraftBrewer for $180 but the Kegerator only holds 3, so another fridge for $50, another gas bottle for $200 another 3 gas in connectors $61 and another Y $9 and another one way valve $27. Throw in another regulator for $ 105 and some gas line at $6 and I am really good to go and all those twist top stubbies and long necks are history.

$1665 [pinched] don't tell SWMBO. Hang on there's another draw back, she enjoys a shandy every now and then and just keeps telling people how easy it is to pour a beer from the Kegerator.

Kegs can't live with 'em, Can't live without 'em.

I now have to test my willpower. Just carbing my first keg now.

Forced carbing? Ross Method? or just to serving and leaving it?

Not Rossing it. Sort of half and half. 35psi for 30-40 hrs. If there's a better method out there, I'm all ears (or eyes in this case). What are your thoughts on the Ross method?

over rated... maybe for a heff.. but I dont brew em..

Great to get em carbed but they still need a week or two to be at their best.. well my hoppy beers do anyway..

Dunno mate, maybe Im doing it wrong..

@ Scottie [lol] [rightful] [innocent]

You wouldnt go back though would ya [bandit]

Mates

Set and forget, Yob you can do it easy with all those kegs, Scott you're a Teacher surely you have the patience.

With the Kegerator its easy 'cause it's got about 50 feet of beer line on it. Therefore I carb up at 6'C and 100kPa, now that's supposed to be about 2.5 volumes of Co2. I pour it at this pressure, yep I haven't touched the reg setting for ages, and it pours perfect nice head but not as many bubbles as the commercial stuff.

Go back never, 21 litre batch only need to bottle two.

I like bottles.

Cheap, cheerful, easy to bring round to a mate's.

Yob! I admire the way you used the upcoming child to justify your new kegging setup to SWMBO [biggrin]

Ha! so is a little 10lt keg in a small wheelie bin [bandit]

Im lucky mate, my SWMBO does not ask questions about my brewing "needs".. she is most understanding and Im a lucky fella indeed.

3 fridges, a freezer, 10 kegs, 3 taps, a new roof for the brewery, etc, etc,

she even said we should renovate the brewery BEFORE the kitchen [roll] [love]

I like bottles.

Cheap, cheerful, easy to bring round to a mate's.

Yob! I admire the way you used the upcoming child to justify your new kegging setup to SWMBO [biggrin]

Ha! so is a little 10lt keg in a small wheelie bin [bandit]

Im lucky mate, my SWMBO does not ask questions about my brewing "needs".. she is most understanding and Im a lucky fella indeed.

3 fridges, a freezer, 10 kegs, 3 taps, a new roof for the brewery, etc, etc,

she even said we should renovate the brewery BEFORE the kitchen [roll] [love]

wow...does she have a sister lol

ummm' date=' in fact Yes Neddie.. would be a fate that Id only wish on a couple of people here though [roll']

I got the pick of the litter [lol]

I hope your sister in law doesnt browse the forum occasionally[lol]

bollox to all of that.

1: Cut the handle off your bottle brush.

2: Place the shank of the bottle brush in a Battery drill

3: Put brush into bottle

4: Squeeze trigger

Bottle is clean in moments with little effort [bandit]

No word of a lie Yob, i have actually thought of that, but i didnt think any one else was a mad as me.

One of my many mantra's is "Laziness is the mother of invention"

You have now inspired me[lol]

haha i told swmbo id use that drill lol

I'm gradually replacing my twist tops with pry off varieties. Mainly of the Squire type' date=' but I think I might have to get some of that Sierra Nevada at some point as well. Although I would like them eventually to be all the same size and type, because I bulk prime I'm not that worried about size. I might even try and get my hands on a few 500mL bottles in case I feel like a pint instead of a schooner sometimes.[/quote']

Those LC imperial pint bottles are good, there just so damned expensive to buy.

Set and forget' date=' Yob you can do it easy with all those kegs, Scott you're a Teacher surely you have the patience.[/quote']

Thanks for the tips Scottie and Yob. Just poured my first beer from the keg. Already want another (beer and keg). Think I used up all my brownie points to get this initial setup though.

I use all my patience up at work and come home impatient and very thirsty. [w00t]

maybe the local tip? my local has milk crates of longnecks,rinsed for 3-4 dollars ???

when i first started i was lucky to have a local bottlo- drinking shed and they gave me about 600 longnecks over a few months

thats a frikkin bargain neddles.. you should stock up and sell on ebay/gumtree.. you'll get your beer for free at those rates mate [lol]

haha yup my mate actually wants me to take heaps more but im space poor and only renting.....no sheds etc.....i reckon we have about 2000 longnecks but most are twist tops.....

Archived