Coopers Community

English Bitter taste

Stevodevo

My question is, can anybody suggest a commercial beer that would come close to comparing with the English Bitter recipe?

Some might disagree but Burleigh Brewing Co's "My Wifes Bitter" is a good representation in terms of taste to the English Bitter, not exact but has the elements there..after all it is based on a English bitter style

My pub has those, I tried one the other night purely because of its name. [lol]

Unfortunately the fridge they keep it in is too cold for it (they keep megaswill and other pansy crap like vodka alcopops in it as well) and the flavours didn't really come out until I was almost finished the bottle. [pinched]

My question is, can anybody suggest a commercial beer that would come close to comparing with the English Bitter recipe?

Some might disagree but Burleigh Brewing Co's "My Wifes Bitter" is a good representation in terms of taste to the English Bitter, not exact but has the elements there..after all it is based on a English bitter style

I saw the funniest ad for that in my local bottleshop once: "Recommended by John Della Bosca".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Della_Bosca

Victoria Bitter is the king of bitters and Newcastle Brown is its equal. [bandit]

Surely you are taking the piss! Victoria Bitter is a lager, and a shit one at that. When a brewery tells you their beer is best served icy cold, they are telling you their beer tastes crap

Victoria Bitter is the king of bitters and Newcastle Brown is its equal. [bandit]

I'll just throw that one out there...[biggrin]

You can not compare them really. Bitter is a Pommy term used to describe a Pale Ale and as has been pointed out by NewtownClown VB is a lager and I will not offend anyone from Victoria by expressing opinions about it being the king of anything.

Must admit the Newcastle Brown is a nice drop.

I'll just throw that one out there...[biggrin]

My favorite for the EB kit is 1kg DME and dry hopped with 23g Fuggles (1g/L)

my uncle (pommy) introduced me tgo newcastle brown ale when i was 18 and living in perth.......was good drop........VB you can jam that crap right in ya fudger.....its worse than any lousy brew ive done lol.

VB you can jam that crap right in ya fudger

haha, say what you really mean Ned[biggrin]

haha thought i did...tastes like cat pee....wish i didnt know what that taste like lol

BUT!!!!!!!!! i hasten to add i will drink it if need be

Call it king of "lagers" would be more correct than king of "bitters" if that's your taste (or lack of).

I've said it a million times. Any brewery that tells you their beer is best enjoyed at below 4c is really saying, "Our beer is so crap that we don't want you to actually taste it".

"Ice Cold Flavour", my arse. No such thing...

Any brewery that tells you their beer is best enjoyed at below 4c is really saying, "Our beer is so crap that we don't want you to actually taste it".

+1

I think they are in the business of marketing alcohol not decent beer. They want to kill your taste buds so you can just pour the alcohol bearing liquid down your throat as quickly as possible without noticing the taste of the stuff.

Any brewery that tells you their beer is best enjoyed at below 4c is really saying, "Our beer is so crap that we don't want you to actually taste it".

+1

I think they are in the business of marketing alcohol not decent beer. They want to kill your taste buds so you can just pour the alcohol bearing liquid down your throat as quickly as possible without noticing the taste of the stuff.

It works a treat too, i made an ordinary batch of draught a while back that i really didnt like, so i drank it just above freezing point and what a nice beer it became! I had to virtually skol it though, as a couple of degrees made a big diff[sick]

I've tried Cooper's EB only once before , with 500g raw sugar & 500g Honey , turned out nice. Will definitely buy another Cooper's EB .

Bout to try Munton's Yorkshire bitter , with 1kg Brewer's Choice unhopped liquid Amber . I was hoping to get a tin of Liquid Caramalt but couldn't find none.

Let us all know how it turns out.

I have a quarter of a carton left of an EB i made with 1 EB kit 500g of ldm 250g crystal malt 300g sugar 35g fuggles @15 mins 5g @ 5 mins dry hopped on day 3 30g fuggles was really nice young but it improves with age. Either way drinking it young or older its a top drop. The EB kit is on par with the APA Kit they are my favourite kits and mates who tried them loved them too.

I love the wheatbeer kit too.

On its own it's not much, but as soon as you start changing up the yeast and adding spices it makes some fantastic beers [love]

Regarding ice-cold beers...

I dunno if you guys got it over in the colonies, but Guinness did this a while back with those frosty bar taps.

I didn't like it. You couldn't taste Guinness from it.

It was like drinking thick black Budweiser.

The only good thing about 'ice cold' taps is the ability to take a warm coin from your pocket, press it onto the ice, let it refreeze, and come back later to see it all encased in ice like Han solo in carbonite:

tumblr_m5ob1cgilg1qclfey.jpg

Regarding ice-cold beers...

I dunno if you guys got it over in the colonies, but Guinness did this a while back with those frosty bar taps.

I didn't like it. You couldn't taste Guinness from it.

It was like drinking thick black Budweiser.

The only good thing about 'ice cold' taps is the ability to take a warm coin from your pocket, press it onto the ice, let it refreeze, and come back later to see it all encased in ice like Han solo in carbonite:

tumblr_m5ob1cgilg1qclfey.jpg

Haha[lol]

Archived