Coopers Community

New to Brewing!

Codie.P

Hey guys, was thinking about making my own homebrew for a long time and finally went out and bought a kit (well was doing chrissie shopping and ended up getting myself a present also) I made homebrew when I was 17 (a while ago now) for leavers and from memory it turned out alright I vaguely remember adding as much sugar to the mix as possible for the higher alcohol content as I was young and did not care much about taste etc.

Any way I purchased the coopers DIY beer kit and used the lager mix that came with it, I did this that night (15th of dec) and realised I had been missing out I almost instantly felt a sense of accomplishment putting the yeast on the top then the lid that I went out and bought another kit yesterday to start another brew! I decided to make a ginger beer also, so the brew guy sold me a copper tun kit and a kilo of dextrose. mixed that all up and now its the hard part of waiting. my questions are how long do I need to wait for the lager to ferment before I bottle? I am in perth so my house temp is currently around 24-25 deg C same goes for the ginger beer?

I need to add ginger flavouring to the brew also and all it says is add it after fermentation has ceased?

any help would be really appreciated (sorry for the lengthy post but I feel like I am making up for lost brewing time, all those years of buying SOMEONE ELSES beer when I could be making my own!)

thanks again

Codie

Welcome to the Forum Cody

Your temp is a bit high for the OS Lager kit. This kit is actually an Ale and will taste much better when fermented at closer to 18'C. When you brew a true Lager you will need to ferment it at close to 12'C.

I would say that your temp is OK for the Ginger Beer.

All is not lost though and your Lager kit could be of the best beers you've tasted, but even if it isn't I can guarantee that after a couple of months on this forum you will be astounded at the quality of beer you will be making.

As for fermentation the Coopers yeast is a fast worker, you'll find by taking an SG over two days that it is done in about 5 days. If you have patience wait another 5 days for the yeast to clean up then bottle away. If not bottle as soon as you get stable SG readings over two days.

Greetings & Salutations Codiep!

That's some great advice that Scottie has given you first up. [cool]

All I would add to that is prior to making your next brew, stockpile 5 or so litres of refrigerated water, & build up a healthy supply of ice cubes in your freezer. The reason I say this is (As Scottie mentioned), the starting temperature of your fermenter before you pitch your yeast is very important. I am guessing your fermenter is subject to ambient temperatures whilst in primary ferment, thus if you can attain a start temperature as close to the 18\xb0C Scottie outlined for an Ale brew, you will give your brew a much better chance of fermenting out in a more thorough manner. [happy]

One of our other more regular forum contributors, "Otto Von Blotto" still primary ferments in ambient temperatures (I think?), so hopefully he will chime in with a post that can help you regulate your fermenter temperature with his tried & tested methods. [cool]

Good luck with your future brewing. [happy]

Anthony.

Wow thanks guys so many replies already!

I suppose we all have to keep busy somehow while we are waiting for fermentation!

so do you think I should scratch the brew or just suck it and see to see how it goes?

I still think it will be OK I tested to SG today and it is definitely fermenting I am more worried about the lager than the ginger beer because the instructions say it is fine fermenting between 21-28 deg C?

even the DVD that came with the kit said 21-27 deg C for the lager would be fine and it is sitting at about 23 deg C atm.

when I put the yeast in the water temp was 22 deg C though I suppose that wont make much of a difference if I'm aiming for 18 or lower?

I am definitely a slave to ambient temps atm as I don't use the a/c and have it all setup in the spare room of the house fermenting away.

was thinking about an old bar fridge to fit to control temp but will see how this one goes atm.

Thanks again for the speedy replies guys looks like I am gonne be on this site a lot in the next little while.

Codie.P

Hey Codie

When I Started out I started in winter so I just wrapped my fermenter in a blanket and let it go. Once it started warming up a bit and before I got my fridge I put it in one of those storage containers with water and 2L Coke bottles full of ice. While not perfect it does help control the temperature a lot more then just letting it sit out and considering the next few days are gonna be warm in Perth its something I would consider doing to help it

Welcome to the forum. I hope it works out well for you.

My problem is normally getting the wort warm enough, so I'm not that much use in advising on how to cool it apart from using an old fridge.

The ginger beer kit should be fine at those temperatures, but better a bit lower, and just using the sugar is recommended for that kit to fit the 'flavor profile' but for the next beer, substitute the sugar for malt extract and you'll see an instand improvement [happy]

For that ginger flavoring stuff you have, just follow the instructions on the packet and you should be fine, just try not to stir too much trub (the gunk at the bottom) into the mix or you might need to leave it settle for a few extra days.

Welcome Codie!

Yes, Lusty is sort of right [lol] I don't have a temp controlled fridge, but I try to keep the temps down as much as I can by sticking my fermenter in an old plant pot saucer, wrapping a towel around it and tipping cold water over it and ice in the saucer etc. I noticed with my latest brew though, that it was still only getting it to about 23/24C, which I'm not happy with. Then again, this summer has seen a return to the traditional hot temperatures we used to get when I was growing up, so that probably has something to do with it.

For my next brew I'm planning to freeze a few old 2L juice botttles filled with water, and use one of the laundry tubs filled a little with water and chuck in the frozen juice bottles. Obviously I'll have to give the laundry tub a good clean first, although they are stainless steel so it won't be too difficult[biggrin] I'll monitor this and see if it reduces the temp closer to the 18C I'm aiming for with my ales.

During winter I generally brew lagers, as the ambient temps in my garage are just about perfect for it without really needing any temp control, I like to ferment them around the 11-12C mark.

The best method is definitely a temp controlled fridge, if you can get one up and running. Unfortunately for me, space is an issue - there's literally no room for another fridge anywhere in the house, so I have to make do with what I've got. That being said, my beers are still coming out quite nice, so it can't be too bad. [lol]

Hey Codie

When I Started out I started in winter so I just wrapped my fermenter in a blanket and let it go. Once it started warming up a bit and before I got my fridge I put it in one of those storage containers with water and 2L Coke bottles full of ice. While not perfect it does help control the temperature a lot more then just letting it sit out and considering the next few days are gonna be warm in Perth its something I would consider doing to help it

Thanks mate yeah just looked it up then I'm a shift worker too and sleeping in the house without the a/c isn't normally a problem as I come from up north so its generally pretty good inside on a hot day here in perth but now I'm not sure if I'm gonna sleep a wink with the constant worrying about if the beer gets too hot! will have to do something of the like to try to keep it cool.

Cheers LordEoin

I will be following both of these brews instructions to the letter and seeing what I would like to change (if they work out)

am looking forward to seeing how the ginger beer is going to end up tasting, and will have to make sure I don't stir up too much sediment when I add the flavouring.

Welcome Codie!

Yes, Lusty is sort of right [lol] I don't have a temp controlled fridge, but I try to keep the temps down as much as I can by sticking my fermenter in an old plant pot saucer, wrapping a towel around it and tipping cold water over it and ice in the saucer etc. I noticed with my latest brew though, that it was still only getting it to about 23/24C, which I'm not happy with. Then again, this summer has seen a return to the traditional hot temperatures we used to get when I was growing up, so that probably has something to do with it.

For my next brew I'm planning to freeze a few old 2L juice botttles filled with water, and use one of the laundry tubs filled a little with water and chuck in the frozen juice bottles. Obviously I'll have to give the laundry tub a good clean first, although they are stainless steel so it won't be too difficult[biggrin] I'll monitor this and see if it reduces the temp closer to the 18C I'm aiming for with my ales.

During winter I generally brew lagers, as the ambient temps in my garage are just about perfect for it without really needing any temp control, I like to ferment them around the 11-12C mark.

The best method is definitely a temp controlled fridge, if you can get one up and running. Unfortunately for me, space is an issue - there's literally no room for another fridge anywhere in the house, so I have to make do with what I've got. That being said, my beers are still coming out quite nice, so it can't be too bad. [lol]

Thanks Otto,

yes it sounds like it is going to have to be some frozen containers and ice around the fermenter to keep it cool,

bearing that in mind I made the batch of lager Saturday arvo the instructions tell me to remove collar on day 3 then check SG in another two days so five days to test that will be thurs I wonder if I should just maintain the 23 24 ish temp and see how it turns out? no doubt you guys have an idea but will I really taste a difference novice wise?

I wonder if I should just maintain the 23 24 ish temp and see how it turns out? no doubt you guys have an idea but will I really taste a difference novice wise?

You are right on the ball Codie

The first few days are crucial. When the yeast gets too hot it gives off flavours that are not really desirable, 23'C won't be that big an issue for you but you won't want to be going any higher than that. Next brew I would put the ice blocks (frozen PET bottles) around the FV and cover it a rubber backed picnic blanket (use a new one). Change the ice blocks every 12 hours for the first couple of days then just relax.

Good thinking on the fridge, as I am in Tassie I don't really need to use one until January. In Oct, Nov and Dec I can brew by the weather. One day it is 34" then two days later its only 18'C.

Do a forum search on STC1000, you will get some clues about fridge temp control.

I brewed a lot of my first brews at 24C and they were all fine.

I know a few people who ferment at 24C everytime, swearing by it.

Tried to convince them to lower it, but of course they're sticking to their guns with 'My mate has been brewing for 25 years and he says it is the optimal temperature', and 'I was a chef, I know how yeast works', etc... Leave them at it!

Anyway, to make long story short... your 24C beer will be fine [happy]

Oh beauty,

I went to brew craft yesterday and bought a few things for the next batches and searched gumtree for an old fridge also and found a temp controller for sale for 20 bucks! had better get a fridge first though [biggrin] .

yeah I also bought a pocket guide book to read up a little on brewing and that guide says most of the large brewery companies ferment at around 13 deg C or lower but for the yeast we get with the pre mixed containers 21-26 deg C is fine so I am thinking I should be OK.

Just can't wait to taste it all this waiting is leading me to read anxiously.

Will check the lager SG tomorrow it already appears to be clearing up somewhat think it will be just fine.

Generally, lager yeast you ferment at 9-12C, ale yeast 18-20C. Most of the pre mixed kits come with ale yeast but I wouldn't be fermenting it at the top end if you can avoid it.. try to get them closer to 18-20. A fridge will make that a piece of piss of course so good to see you looking around for one!

Hi Codie.P and welcome! [biggrin]

I don't have any advice beyond what the other gentlemen here have posted, except this:

It doesn't matter how many mistakes you make (I have made more than most), never ditch a batch until your 100% percent sure its undrinkable. Again, welcome and enjoy brewing.

I've made six home brews. But I still consider myself a newbie. I have been fermenting at about 24-25 degrees. The beer comes out fine but I wanted to know if there was any good tricks to bring the temperature down to 18? I use the 15L spring waters you get from Coles or Woolies. Should I set aside 3-4L in the fridge to chill. Is there anything such as getting it to low or can I bring the heat back up?

I daresay there's a few answers to your questions there Blake.

Firstly, there's a number of ways to get the temp down during fermentation; wet towels, sit the fermenter in cold water and ice, temp controlled fridges (best method) etc.

Secondly, yes it's not a bad idea to set aside water in the fridge, depending on where you live and the temperatures, you may even need 5-10 litres of chilled water to get the temp down to 18-20 before pitching the yeast. After that, you should aim to keep the temp at that for the whole fermentation, or maybe raise it slightly towards the end.

Thirdly, yes the temp can get too low, but is unlikely using those methods, in summer at least. Obviously in a temp controlled fridge it would never get too low because you control the temps it operates at. But if it does get too low for some reason, you can bring the temp back up to the 18-20.

Hope that helps a bit!

The more cold water at mixing time the better. Last weekend I put down an OS Draught kit for my dad with a short steep and hop boil (about four litres). I had 12L chilled but that still only got it down to around 22.

Love Australia, but conditions could be better for brewing beer (although conditions for drinking it are superb!)[lol]

I just chucked a 2 L juice bottle of water in the freezer in prep for my next brew's fermentation. I will probably have 4 of them all up. My plan is to use the laundry sink, fill it with some water and stick two of the frozen bottles in at a time. Two before I head to work and swap them over when I get home or something like that. Hopefully this helps to reduce the temp better than my current wet towel method. That method works fine when it's about mid to high 20s outside, but when it starts to hit the 30s it only brings it down to about 24 if I'm lucky. [pinched]

Still, I bottled that English Ale today which was unfortunately fermented higher than I wanted, and it didn't taste too bad going by the sample I had from the FV. [joyful]

As Otto Said to you blake using ice and water in a sink/tub/container around your fv with a towel is gonna help it loads just depends on factors out of your control as to how low it will get it, but using the combo is gonna improve our chances the best. (Wish I had of known the towel trick)

I remember that problem Otto, I know I was lucky with my cousin giving me a fridge she no longer wanted but it sucks when its like today 38 degrees outside and tap water ranging from 30 degrees to 56 got a quick boil for my hops though [happy]

Yeah it'd be good for hop boils [lol] Not so handy for fermentation though. I do all grain now, so I don't have to mix up ingredients in the FV anymore, I just store it in plastic cubes until I'm ready to ferment it and then simply pour it in. I suppose 24 is better than 30 or something, but would still prefer lower.

Good work on the fridge score though! I too would get a fridge happening, but as I've said numerous times before on other threads regarding temp control - I simply don't have any space to put one, so until I either move house or find a way to make some space, I'm stuck working with what I've got. Mind you, my beers haven't tasted bad so far, with the exception of my first. [happy]

Im onto DME and whole boils now days. My wort was stuck at 40 degrees before couldnt cool it down any further as the tap water was too hot, hence the im thankful for my fridge (Although I now need a second one for storage). Ive seen you say that before, I have been stalking the forums for 6 months leaching info off of here just figured I should start making some posts and helping out like yourself, billK, Yob and quite a few others have for me and others. But I am glad your making beer your proud of and is quite drinkable with out the aids so many of us have.

Im onto DME and whole boils now days. My wort was stuck at 40 degrees before couldnt cool it down any further as the tap water was too hot' date=' hence the im thankful for my fridge (Although I now need a second one for storage). Ive seen you say that before, I have been stalking the forums for 6 months leaching info off of here just figured I should start making some posts and helping out like yourself, billK, Yob and quite a few others have for me and others. But I am glad your making beer your proud of and is quite drinkable with out the aids so many of us have.[/quote']

I probably got a bit lucky last summer because it was mild and not that hard to keep the temps down, and then went into cooler weather anyway. This summer has been back to the hot, humid weather we always used to get. Constantly mid 30s and 3000% humidity.[lol] But yeah I am gonna try the ice bath method on my next brew and see how it goes. Just gotta freeze a few more soft drink bottles first. [joyful]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Bottled the lager last Monday which made it 9 nine days in the fermenter and the bottles seem ok nice and firm going nicely and the lager tasted almost drinkable while I was bottling it so have high 'ish' hopes for it although it is getting bloody hot in perth atm!

I am just about to bottle my ginger beer today and that fermenter has pretty much been sitting around 26-28 for the last few days no matter what I do to try and cool it but the instructions say up to 30 deg C is fine? ah well tastes ok just took my FG reading and has been at 1005 for a few days so screw it im bottling it, is it ok to bottle at 28 deg? or is there a trick to cool it off before I get it into the bottles?

cheers guys

Archived