Coopers Community

Been using just white sugar????

ok as your working out im pretty basic......i intend to keep it simple for a spell ive been using coopers real ale and draught and have only been adding white sugar and the kit yeast.. which should i try for next brew....brew enhancer or just brewing sugar???? any suggestions ( other than go annoy someone else" lol

Use a kg of light dry malt extract' date=' or a tin of liquid malt extract. Your beers will turn out much better using malts, than using large amounts of sugar or dextrose (Brewing sugar). [/quote']thanks heaps otto....another thing ive been doing in the past as did my other mates was use half the required amount in both fv and second fermenrtation to keep the brew roughly mid strength??? we are old guys with wild pasts...we love our beer but we figure how drunk do we want to get???lol

Lol nothing wrong with that. If you want mid strength then I'd say for a standard 23 litre brew you'd use the kit tin and 500g of light dry malt. Obviously for a double batch you'd use 2 tins and 1kg of malt. But yeah, sugar or dextrose tends to make it taste quite cidery if used in large quantities, and also the beer lacks body and head retention. However, for secondary fermentation/carbonation, sugar/dex is fine. It's what I use.

I used a kilo of brewing sugar on my first batch and looking back now it tasted bloody awful. Ever since I've only used malt and my beers have tasted much better. [biggrin]

Lol nothing wrong with that. If you want mid strength then I'd say for a standard 23 litre brew you'd use the kit tin and 500g of light dry malt. Obviously for a double batch you'd use 2 tins and 1kg of malt. But yeah, sugar or dextrose tends to make it taste quite cidery if used in large quantities, and also the beer lacks body and head retention. However, for secondary fermentation/carbonation, sugar/dex is fine. It's what I use.

I used a kilo of brewing sugar on my first batch and looking back now it tasted bloody awful. Ever since I've only used malt and my beers have tasted much better. [biggrin]

lol i know what you mean..im sitting here drinking a week one week bottled brew and it tastes better than what we drank for 8 years lol

i was thinking about second fermentation bout the two carbonation drops? what do you reckon on that?

Well, I don't use carb drops anymore as I bulk prime. But two carb drops for a tallie is pretty standard. It depends on the style but for draught kits I think it's ok. Stouts maybe halve it. That's why I got into bulk priming because it gives me way better control over how carbed my beers are. I use stubbies myself mainly for convenience (although not so convenient during bottling lol), and I used to put one carb drop in each stubbie. It doesn't really increase the alc that much anyway.. 0.5% if that.

Well' date=' I don't use carb drops anymore as I bulk prime. But two carb drops for a tallie is pretty standard. It depends on the style but for draught kits I think it's ok. Stouts maybe halve it. That's why I got into bulk priming because it gives me way better control over how carbed my beers are. I use stubbies myself mainly for convenience (although not so convenient during bottling lol), and I used to put one carb drop in each stubbie. It doesn't really increase the alc that much anyway.. 0.5% if that. [/quote'] thanks mate i appreciate the advice im gunna try exactly that.....the malt and the drops...i have to stick to tallies......i been drinking store bought cans past year and ive lost 3 inches in height wearing my legs out to the fridge lol..cheers mate

Haha no problem. Do you have a home brew shop nearby? They will sell the malt powders etc. Otherwise you might find the Coopers light dry malt in your supermarket

theres a guy nearby that is a produce store but he gets into the homebrew gear also...plus the local iga we have at milton is pretty ok too between the two ill be able to get the stuff im sure

I remember I was almost "shown the door" when I first spoke of Saunders Liquid Malt Extract here on the forum! [lol]

Due to so many posts being against using it, I never did.

I spotted it again when I was shopping at Woolies yesterday, but just told myself to keep walking. [tongue]

Anthony.

There are rumours that Saunders' malt extract will do the job too' date=' but so far the results are inconclusive [bandit']

Seen a bloke on youtube who used the saunders in his home brew he wasn't impressed with it I personally won't be using it.

In regards to white sugar I now use it but to a maximum of 300G I use all malt with a small addition of white sugar to bring the ABV up

Archived