Coopers Community

Storage temps.

Mainiac

I have a few questions about storage temps. Unlike most of you I have the benefit (if you call it that) of living in a very cold climate so storing beer cold enough is not an issue. However I would like to know when to start storing at COLD temps.

I have a Stout that is 3 1/2 months old and I was going to start drinking it at Christmas. After bottling it has been stored at 15-16c . I was going to move it to my fridge which is about 1c should I wait or do it now.

I have Pilsner that has been in the bottle for 3 weeks at the about 14 -15. When should I move it?

didnt-see-that-one-coming.gif

Your stout at 1 degree will be refreshing but flavourless, the chill of the beer will numb the taste buds to the rich depth of flavours that a stout will give. Drink your stout at 15 degrees and serve it in a chilled glass if you want it to taste at its best

While we are on this topic I am looking for some advice as well. Once I bottle my beer I put it into a fridge set to 19c for conditioning for some time before moving them to cold storage until consumed. The problem I am having is that my stock is getting greater and available space is getting less.

My question is, how will my beer be effected if I was to leave it in the conditioning fridge for carbonation (let's say 3 weeks), then store it in the shed until ready for chilling? Bearing in mind that the temperature can vary from 10c to 40c quite easily this time of year[pouty].

Given the old rule of thumb that it is a no-no to let chilled beer get hot and then cold again I am concerned about my beer being adversley affected [crying].

Yeah Kelsey, my thinking was much the same as yours. Thanks for your thoughts.

I guess I have a few choices though:-

1. Find an alternative storage spot

2. Get another fridge (SWMBO will like that!!!)

3. Drink quicker [love]

I am going to be faced with the storage dilemma soon I think. I have a garage attached to the house which has been fine since I started brewing in February. The early beers weren't good enough to worry about storing [lol] But they went anyway.

Now I have a Stout and Porter still aging, SMOTY that I am giving some time to as well and various other beers.

During winter i could just drink the beers straight out of the shed without refrigeration, but i also had no problem with carbing up - I usually left the beer in the house for 2 weeks.

A couple of 35-40 degree days in a row and i'm sure it will get quite warm in the garage - will have to keep an eye on it

Ok, to answer a couple of questions....

1st @ Mainiac. You can start to store in cooler temps when secondary has finished. This way you ensure the bottle is carbed before sending the yeast to sleep.

2nd @ Wal. It is not recommended to change the temps so regular. A few times may not hurt but it is best kept at a consistant temp. Is there any particular reason your bottles need to go back in the fridge at 19C?... can you not store them elsewhere at room temps?... I have my bottles stored in a room downstairs which is usually consistant at around 14C - 16C and they carb up fine. Admittingly, they are there for at least 6 weeks before I even try one but I have had no carbination problems to date.

Thanks for the questions Bill.

2nd @ Wal. It is not recommended to change the temps so regular. A few times may not hurt but it is best kept at a consistant temp. Is there any particular reason your bottles need to go back in the fridge at 19C?...

From the FV (@ 19c) to the bottling area, then back into another fridge @ 19c, then to the cold fridge is really only one change in temp. While the bottles probably don't "need" to be kept at 19c I do it this way to reduce the amount of temperature changes and it is my understanding that carbonating/conditioning bottles at fermentation temps is the best thing for the beer, and it does keep the temperature constant.

can you not store them elsewhere at room temps?... I have my bottles stored in a room downstairs which is usually consistant at around 14C - 16C and they carb up fine. Admittingly' date=' they are there for at least 6 weeks before I even try one but I have had no carbination problems to date.[/quote']

I could store elsewhere in the house but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of such constant temps, regardless of where I store it - hence my question about temperature variation and the effect on the beer. Even in the house the temperature can easily get into the thirties during the day - the joys of living in QLD hey....[cool] .

Archived