Coopers Community

The Brew 'A'

Hi guys.

If you weren't aware, a new featured recipe is up on the Coopers website. It's name be "Thomas Coopers Brew A"

Well this brew is not for the faint hearted. Anyone for a triple Pale Ale? [biggrin]

Try drinking this bad boy all afternoon & expect it to still be kicking you in the head when you awake the next day, that's for sure! [lol]

There was some pretty cool brews floating around back in the mid to late 1800's. Based on this recipe, I reckon I would have been classed as a "Tonic" drinker. [biggrin]

Man, why wasn't I born in the 1850's?!! [pinched]

Anthony.

This is an interesting recipe and because I haven't switched to AG I reckon I'll be giving it a run. After Brewing the ESVA

I had wondered what a two can APA would be like [unsure].

Try drinking this bad boy all afternoon & expect it to still be kicking you in the head when you awake the next day' date=' that's for sure! [/quote']

The Strong Brews in the "How to Brew" section normally carry a caveat "these brews are not session brews". I have only had just over 1/2 dozen of my ESVAs, as they continue to age, I normally have just one as a last drink. Anthony if you haven't done a two can or a Strong beer yet I reckon you should have a crack at this one.

Hi Scott. [happy]

It's like you are reading my mind...

Actually, no I haven't done a 2 can brew yet. However, I have read much of the talk about it on the forum over quite a few threads. Most of the comments seem very positive across all brew kinds.

Being that Coopers Pale Ale is my staple diet commercial & favourite kit tin, this recipe looks like a certainty down the track for me.

Right now I have so many recipes I want to brew, but only 1 brew fridge to facilitate that progression. [sad]

I'm not normally motivated to brew high ABV beers. I will make an exception for this one though. [biggrin]

I'm interested to experience what it felt like walking around in SA during the 1860's. [lol]

Anthony.

I made a 2 can pale ale before was not a bad drop fermented with 500g honey 500g LDM a mix of Chinook, Cascade and Amarillo plus 250g of Crystal malt took a couple of months for the bitterness to mellow but wasn't bad at all. I will be making Brew A next year when it cools down again as I am doing 2 more batches next fortnight once I have bottle the 2 brews I have going atm just before it gets too hot to brew.

Hi Scott. [happy]

It's like you are reading my mind...

Actually, no I haven't done a 2 can brew yet. However, I have read much of the talk about it on the forum over quite a few threads. Most of the comments seem very positive across all brew kinds.

Being that Coopers Pale Ale is my staple diet commercial & favourite kit tin, this recipe looks like a certainty down the track for me.

Right now I have so many recipes I want to brew, but only 1 brew fridge to facilitate that progression. [sad]

I'm not normally motivated to brew high ABV beers. I will make an exception for this one though. [biggrin]

I'm interested to experience what it felt like walking around in SA during the 1860's. [lol]

Anthony.

A friend and I were having a (drunken) conversation the other week about travelling back in time, and how awesome it would be to go back in time to Adelaide circa 1880 and do a pub crawl of the pubs in Adelaide that exist today and see the difference..

The best bit is after you've drunk too many ales you could just get on your horse and he would take you home!

Also back on the recipe tip' date=' one 11g packet of yeast in my opinion is not really enough for the amount of malt in the recipe... making a starter would be beneficial. [/quote']

I will agree with you there a starter would be of most benefit. However I have a few jars of washed Coopers Commercial yeast when I do this recipe I will be using that instead to keep with the Coopers theme.

• 5 weeks later...

Ready to bottle this now. Has been sitting at 1.020 for the last couple of days. Put it into the fermenter about 2 weeks ago...however I'm a little worried.

It tastes all good. The gravity is a little high but its been stable for a few days so I guess its done...but it looks like it has just come from the bottom of the river Torrens on a bad day...ie Murky as anything.[sick]

Anybody else brewed this? Was it the same or have I stuffed up...or maybe I leave it for a couple more days. Perhaps I could move it to a secondary...any advice??

Thanks!

Hi Dazza77.

It is a high gravity brew. I described it as a "Triple Pale Ale" base on the quantity of kit tins + extract tin.

Please understand that this is not some "kiddy" brew. The 2 primary kit tins + the malt extract tin will darken the overall final colour of the brew, along with increasing final ABV% significantly.

I would ask though, did you follow the recipe instructions to the letter?

...and also, what temperature did you primary ferment at for the duration of the brew & for how many days?

My gut feeling is that it's fine & that you are just worried because of the deeper colour than you expected. [innocent]

Anthony.

Hey Lusty,

Thanks for the quick reply mate!

Its not so much dark but murky that I'm worried about. It looks like the yeast hasnt settled and a lot of people say that this (S-33) yeast can attenuate fairly low.

I had it sitting around 18C for fermentation and its been 13 days so far. I expected it would get down to about 1.016-18 but I guess I shouldn't get too hung up about the gravity so long as its stable huh. I might bottle tommorow and see how we go [unsure]

Cheers!!

I would expect the FG to be around 1020 for the "A" Brew recipe with S-33. I would say it has finished.

If the beer is cloudy then it may just need some more time settle further. If you are able to cold condition it then drop the temp to around 2 degrees for a few days to a week.

Worse case, leave it another week at your current temp and then bottle. It should clear up in the bottle and if not, you will have tasty cloudy beer.

Please understand that this is not some "kiddy" brew

Lusty, why the warning? He is making a beer a touch over 6%, not making homemade explosives (well, potentially it is I guess)[biggrin]

Whether it is a mid-strength or a strong beer, the method is the same. Ensure you reach a stable and expected FG before bottling.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I bumped up the temp a couple of degrees and at stayed at 1.020 so I bottled last night.

I'm hoping this one will be a belter, its really thick and syrupy. I had a taste out of the fermenter and it tasted really good. You guys are right definately not a session beer.

I'm gonna try and save this for next winter...I can imagine having a couple of these while sitting by the fire...nice[sleeping]

The best bit is after you've drunk too many ales you could just get on your horse and he would take you home!

but not so many ales that renders you unable to mount the beast [sideways]

[lol] Along these lines: the Coopers Christmas family day was held at the brewery grounds last Sunday. Driving onto the site Monday to be greated by horse and cart tracks + dodging the odd dump of manure, courtesy of the Coopers Clydesdales.[lol]

According to the "Jolly Good Ale and Old" - by 1868 there were 10 metropolitan and 33 country breweries in SA. So, plenty of beer to be had in those days - a little dubious about the quality, though[unsure]

Archived