Coopers Community

Ginger Beer slow to start.

Rosie B

I started a Ginger Beer kit on Sunday 11th and it still has not started to bubble.

The ambient temp here has been between about 18 and 27 degrees and I have the vat in a warm place.

. I have only ever made ginger beer the old way before so have nothing to compare it with.

I spoke to the guy at the local brew shop who suggested I add a bit more yeast??

Should I wait, Add more yeast (Is my normal bread yeast ok?) or try to warm it up a bit

Another sign of fermentation is condensation on the inside of the lid of your fermenter.

I have condensation on the lid.

Not sure about the SG as I haven't worked that gadget out yet [unsure] Do I put it in the barrel?

Do you have a tap on your barrel? If so, just draw a sample of liquid from the tap into the test tube.

Below is a link to the old Coopers micro brew instructions. Page 7 explains how to use a hydrometer.

Instructions

I didn't have a test tube handy so I used the container the hydrometer came in. Hope that is ok [innocent] .

It is reading 1030 - 1028 ?

Smells nice and what came out was really foamy and cloudy.

Hope that is good.

Do you have a tap on your barrel? If so, just draw a sample of liquid from the tap into the test tube.

Below is a link to the old Coopers micro brew instructions. Page 7 explains how to use a hydrometer.

Instructions

I didn't have a test tube handy so I used the container the hydrometer came in. Hope that is ok [innocent] .

It is reading 1030 - 1028 ?

Smells nice and what came out was really foamy and cloudy.

Hope that is good.

That sounds like it's fermenting. Leave it a few days then check the gravity again, I'd estimate it should finish at around 1012.

I didn't have a test tube handy so I used the container the hydrometer came in.

That is what it was made for but as you hadn't taken a reading at the time you mixed you ingredients to compare against it is hard to tell how much, if any, fermentation has taken place. It is sounding to me like more yeast is warranted (brewing yeast if possible).

This was really strange. Nothing was happening until I took the sample to test.

I didn't want to add more yeast as it would mean a trip into town. Something we do weekly at the most.

Soon after I wrote the post last night I heard noises and when I checked it was bubbling merrily.

By this morning there is a kind of scum on the surface and it is going gang busters. [happy]

My husband suggests it simply needed a bit of "Blood letting" to cure whatever its problem was.[roll]

I guess now I just need to wait 5-6 days until it settles down and bottle.

No need to add more yeast now then.

You mostly will need to leave it for about another 2 weeks. When you get the same gravity reading over 2 days (48 hours) then it is safe 2 bottle. Do not bottle if the reading is still dropping as you will end up with bottles exploding everywherre and you wouldn't want that.

Edit: I took too long to post but yeah... same as above.

Wow..

Thanks everyone.[biggrin]

It seems I was just being impatient, but it seemed a long time for it to get started.

The label on the can said bottle after 6 days, That would be tomorrow and I was sure it was not ready yet.

I am hoping it will not be 2 weeks tho. The weather is warming up and I am hanging out for my Ginger Beer.

Got one back on ya Bill [lol]

Yeah, if it's only just started today or yesterday or whatever it was, then you will need to leave it for another 2 weeks at least, which would make it right on the 31st Nov/1st Dec that I'd be taking the two samples. I don't know why the can says 6 days, it takes at least 2 weeks to ferment fully.

It confused me too when I made a batch for Dad a few months ago, checked the gravity at day 7 and it was only half done, but the wise heads on the forum soon helped out and I left it in there for 3 weeks all up before bottling. [biggrin]

Got one back on ya Bill [lol]

lol yep but I was the one who finished with the last laugh... bet you can't guess why? i-dont-know-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sorry for doing it but I needed something up my sleeve in the event this was going to happen.

PS, sorry to OP for derailing this thread.

Remember I said you get access to 50 other emoticans when you reach 2500 posts.... well, I was pulling your leg bandeau-lol.gif

I have the same as you [whistling I was waiting for Muddy or Paul to say something. Nevertheless, I bet they must have been laughing to themselves [sideways]

My Ginger Beer made to the Coopers recipe (1kg of raw sugar) is still bubbling away. I have just hit the 2 week mark and I think it is going to take probably at least another week.

There has been a think layer scum on it for the last 10 days and it is still there but slowly going..

I took a gravity reading last night and it was 1.005-1.006 ish....

It certainly does take a long time!!!

Original Gravity was 1.025... If it gets down to 1.002ish it will end up being 3.5% - Mid Strength.

My Ginger Beer made to the Coopers recipe (1kg of raw sugar) is still bubbling away. I have just hit the 2 week mark and I think it is going to take probably at least another week.

There has been a think layer scum on it for the last 10 days and it is still there but slowly going..

I took a gravity reading last night and it was 1.005-1.006 ish....

It certainly does take a long time!!!

Original Gravity was 1.025... If it gets down to 1.002ish it will end up being 3.5% - Mid Strength.

Thanks Jimmy.

This looks like it is developing quite a thick scum since it started bubbling last night. [crying]

Now we just have to sit and wait and hope it is ready for Christmas. [joyful]

I don't want to keep testing it or there will not be any left. Will wait til it calms down.[tongue]

Then I can start some real beer for my husband. LOL.. [lol]

Archived