Coopers Community

Tap Water or Spring Water?

PaddyB

I have been using 20 litres 'ish of spring water every time I do my brews, however someone told me I was wasting money doing this. I have assumed that the spring water will be much purer and hence better tasting. Is this true or just a waste? I only use the kits as well.....

Do you drink the water directly from the tap where you live?

If so then just use tap water. You will notice buggar all difference using spring water unless it is used straight from the spring or real fresh.

Best thing to do, if you drink your tap water then just use tap water on your next brew and make your own mind up [rightful]

I boil my pura tap water. Cool it outside at night in two 10 litre water cooler bottles. Might be overkill, but since doing it, all brews have been great drinking, so not changing my technique.

I was reading on a U.S forum about some brewers using the water from the latest hurricanes and had me thinking of catching some rain water (next winter by the looks of it) and using that. I do not have a tank, but am sure something could be rigged up to get twenty five litres together. Any thoughts?

Best thing to do, if you drink your tap water then just use tap water on your next brew and make your own mind up [rightful]

I agree with BillK. I have used tap water many times with no problems. These days though, I use straight rain water, no filtering at all so there is likely to be a few extra flavours in there....[alien] [devil]

Archived