Coopers Community

Whats brewing

GrahamB8

Good work Chad.... and there's nothing like a beer at 10am if you ask me.

I have mashed in a few times at about 7am and by 8am I start having the odd one or two. Then I realise how early it is and I need to get through the rest of the day yet... [pouty]

I find it hard on a brew day not to have a beer so now I start a little later [cool]

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread.. but since this recipe was mentioned in it I figured I'd do that instead of creating an entirely new one.

Anyway, this brew from this Post has been in the bottle around 3 weeks now, and I must say it has turned out rather well. The only thing I think I'd do next time is up the bittering hops a little to counter the maltiness - not too much, but just enough to balance it better. Other than that I really like it, and the deep ruby red color it turned out is divine. [love]

Well it's not really brewing yet, I've just put it down. In fact it's just mixing TBH [roll] .

This brew took me all of 15 minutes from LDM in to Yeast pitched. No grain steep hop boil or re-cultured yeast. All by the Coopers book.

Anyway it will be PB2s Moteuka Slam.

The Can of Coopers IPA, 1 kg of LDM from my LHBS, topped up to 21 litres with water and yeast pitched at 24'C. OG 1.043.

Will hit this with 50g of Moteuka hops on Sunday or Monday after I recover my hop bag from the Southern Cross Ale (extract, grain & hop).

Is this an experiment or was I just too lazy [unsure].

Still have 1 kit, The Canadian Blonde to do, this one will also be a quickie, with 500g of Clover honey and 50g of WME. It will however be pitched with rinsed 1056.

I only made the standard type Thomas Coopers IPA recipe & was impressed with that. The flavours produced from that kit tin are amazing! [love]

The Moteuka Slam version is well & truly on my radar... [cool]

Anthony.

Well I've got two FVs, like most of the dudes on here (don't know much about the dudettes).

So today I took the advice of BeerLust (Anthony) and laid done a kit with some honey. Its the least I could do seeing how he is testing one of my brews the same way he is testing many other [happy].

Coopers Canadian Blonde

500 Wheat Dry Malt

500 Heritage Clover Honey

1056 yeast Gen5 rinsed from the trub.

Who's a good yeast daddy?

yeastdaddy.jpg

Used Mr Malty and pitched this one after rinsing, put some more in the fridge for a starter later, I'm guessing this one is near the end of its useful life and I don't want to push it further.

I might a Denny's Favourite next.

Well I've got two FVs, like most of the dudes on here (don't know much about the dudettes).

So today I took the advice of BeerLust (Anthony) and laid done a kit with some honey. Its the least I could do seeing how he is testing one of my brews the same way he is testing many other [happy].

Coopers Canadian Blonde

500 Wheat Dry Malt

500 Heritage Clover Honey

1056 yeast Gen5 rinsed from the trub.

Who's a good yeast daddy?

yeastdaddy.jpg

Used Mr Malty and pitched this one after rinsing, put some more in the fridge for a starter later, I'm guessing this one is near the end of its useful life and I don't want to pooch it further.

How big is the starter you're pitching Scottie?

Nothing fermenting right now. Got a D\xfcsseldorf Alt lagering ATM and an Aussie Red Ale kegged. Tried a low alcohol IPA today (about 2 weeks in the bottle), best light beer I've ever had.[happy]

I'm using this strain in my brewery these days. The first crack was with a AG version of Muddy's Full Nelson PA I just bottled it the other day. It is not noted for making clear beer. Even after 3 weeks in the FV it was still not cleared up. I put down a porter yesterday that I pitched Denny's in as well. It is said in reviews of this yeast that it has an incredible mouthfeel and should work well in a nice dark ale.

How big is the starter you're pitching Scottie?

Generally I make a one-litre starter, but I am questioning the benefit of this as opposed to pitching straight from the trub. This doubt comes from following a recent John & Yob thread re yeast rinsing. Based on two popular calculators Mr Malty and Yeast Calc there appears to be little benefit in using a simple starter.

That said I realise that I need to manufacture a stir plate as there is a huge benefit here and it makes stepping up much easier. A simple starter can be effective if you devote a lot of time (i.e shake it regularly).

... Tried a low alcohol IPA today (about 2 weeks in the bottle), best light beer I've ever had

+1. They say that strictly speaking an IPA can't be in the mid-strength range. But I say [roll] if it tastes great then why not. That said PB2 does say in the how to brew section that the Poms did supply mid-strength IPA to the troops and reserved the strong IPA for the officers.

Archived