Coopers Community

Whats brewing

GrahamB8

Just in the middle of a boil and thought I would see what you guys are up to and post what I was up to.

German pale ale

5kg Pils malt

500g Munich

150g light crystal

150g Aromatic

50g Target 10% @ 40

25g Saaz 4% @ 0

25g Saaz 4% in cube

2L starter of Wyeast 2042

Ferment 1 week then rack to secondary for a further 2 weeks all at 9-10\xb0c

Raise to 18\xb0c for 2 weeks (during which I will ferment an ale in the chest freezer with it [cool] )

Drop to 1\xb0c for 12 weeks

Drink in under 2 weeks [innocent]

Hi GrahamB8.

Your brew looks very interesting.

Light in eventual colour, nutty & spicy finish.

May I ask what the 150gms of "Aromatic" is? or are?

As far as what I'm doing...

Will bottle Smurto's Golden Ale Clone tomorrow. Will put down a basic Coopers APA with some Crystal, small amount of P.O.R bittering & first time use of re-cultured Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.

I'll also pull BrendanS8's brew (with that damn S-04 yeast [pinched] ) out of my brew fridge to ferment out in ambient temperatures for the next week or so.

Beer.

I forgot to mention, I did mix up an English Pale Ale (although it's probably not gonna be all that pale[lol]) last Thursday:

5.00 kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt (6.2 EBC)

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC)

0.25 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)

0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC)

0.05 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC)

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.50 %] - Boil 75.0 min

20.00 g Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

20.00 g Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

I have no idea how it will turn out, but it will be going in the FV next once I have enough empty bottles again.

Hiya Otto Man! [happy]

"English Pale Ale", with black patent & roasted barley, good luck with seeing through that in a glass once it's brewed! [lol]

My gut feeling is it is going to be quite a darkish IPA looking beer. Sounds really nice all the same. Good luck with it. [joyful]

Beer. (Anthony)

[lol] Yeah, they are only small amounts though. But it's the same color in my hydrometer tube as the amber ale is in a beer glass or bottle, so it's definitely darker. It's a sort of a mid to dark brown/reddish color. But, I do like darker beers, so I'm not fussed. It is an experiment, so it'll either be nice, or drinkable [tongue]

May I ask what the 150gms of "Aromatic" is? or are?

Aromatic malt

Brix reading was 16.1ish (or approximately 1.066) so I should get another big lager if my yeast plays along with me.

I pitched into the starter a little early, the pack hadn't fully swollen and I used the original wort for my starter so the yeast has just been dropped into sugar heaven.

That ale looks really nice Kelsey mate!!

Hey Lusty why have you decided to add POR to your Pale ale? the Coopers pale is delish spiked with American 'C' hops

[lol] Lotm, no way.. feel free to post whatever you're brewing or fermenting! We don't discriminate[biggrin]

Lusty, going by the post-boil gravity reading of 1051 it should finish up between 5.5 and 6% ABV depending on how thoroughly the yeast ferments. I will take another SG reading when I tip it in the FV though.

Hey Lusty why have you decided to add POR to your Pale ale? the Coopers pale is delish spiked with American 'C' hops

I'm hearin' that GrahamB8. As mentioned though, this is my first attempt at using re-cultured Coopers Commercial Ale yeast. So if it screws up, I didn't want it to be on an expensive made brew. This is really an experimental brew for me. [innocent]

If I was more confident in the process/more experienced with the re-culture, I would certainly throw a lot more hops at the brew.

Funnily enough though, I am trying to recreate as close as possible to the original taste of Coopers Pale Ale with the recipe I am using.

Coopers APA kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Powder 500gms

Light Wheat Malt Powder 250gms

Light Crystal Grain 300gms steeped 30mins

Dextrose 250gms

P.O.R hops 12gms boiled for 20mins (purely for bitterness)

Re-cultured Coopers Commercial Ale yeast

OG = 1.043

FG = 1.009

IBU = 22.4

EBC = 10.7

Final bottled ABV = 4.8%

I understand mate but arent Cascade just as cheap and available as POR nowadays??

Yes they are mate, & trust me I love cascade hops. But if you want to brew as close as possible to the tastes of Coopers Original Pale Ale, you won't find any mentions of Cascade hops, only small mentions of Pride Of Ringwood bittering additions.

Right now, I need to believe in the re-culture process of the commercial yeast above anything else. This brew will prove that one way or the other to me.

After that, expect a series of hop avalanche brews from me! [lol]

Beer. (Anthony)

You guys are brewing way past my bedtime.

I'll be bottling a hefewiezen this weekend.

I didn't have much time so I wanted a really quick beer to throw down. This took 20 minutes from start to finish including cleaning up.

1.7kg Coopers Wheat kit

1kg Liquid Wheat malt

Wyeast 3056 - Bavarian Wheat Blend

19 litres

Fermented at 22 degrees

I didn't make a starter for the one; just smacked it the day before pitching. It isn't a big beer and I thought that if it was an under pitch then it would help with the ester production.

It is the first time in a couple of years I haven't used grain or hops. It was a return to my easy K&K days.

• 2 weeks later...

On that note, this brew didnt start well at all, infact my starter which looked good was a flop.

I pitched on Sunday and still had zero movement on Friday.

I dropped in 23g of Saflager w-34/70 Friday night through the airlock hole which has kicked it into gear, shes fermenting away now [annoyed]

Sometimes all you need is a good yeast to make an exceptional beer

That's what I am banking on [wink]

Whether it works is a another matter.

Yee of little faith Hairy. [sad]

I'm betting this is the reason you haven't had a crack at the Coopers commercial ale re-cultivate? [innocent]

Take the leap Hairy! [biggrin]

Anthony.

I've got the brewing bug again, still thinking about what to brew...

I'm currently drinking Ross' Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale, its only been bottled 3 weeks but its tremendous already. The best beer I have ever brewed.

I did find an American Amber Ale recipe by Nick JD on aussiehomebrewer, that uses Coopers recultured yeast. Just wondering if its the wrong time of year for an amber ale...

Maybe I should just brew some more Dr Smurto's Golden Ale... thats a cracker and I've only got 9 longnecks left.

Hey Gang,

I've been pretty busy latly with work and family but still the brewery is active.

Toady was a big day in the brewery with morning's work a bottling of a IPA:

1.7Kg TC IPA

1.6 LME

Fuggles 10g (20mins), 5g(5mins)

EKG 10g (10mins), 5g (5mins)

21L water

30g Oak chips sprinkled dry @ ferment

21 g kit yeast

10L boil

Next was to rack and stabilize an kit shiraz and soon after I checked the SG reading on a Pale ale(AG) that is one week in the FV.

4.5Kg Pale Ale malt

300g Crystal 40L

100g Wheat malt

10g Chinook 12.1% (60mins)

10g Columbus 16% (60mins)

10g Willamette 5.2% (15mins), 5g (5mins)

5g Perle 8.6% (5mins)

23L water

Notto Re-pitched from slurry

27 Litre boil for 90mins

By the afternoon things were really happening. I wasn't quite sure of the recipe for my next batch, I had a tin of E Bitter and a bunch of fun stuff from the last brew stuff shipment. This is what I came up with "by the seat of my pants". An English PA Partial Mash.

1.7Kg E. Bitter

1.0 Kg Pale Ale Malt

.500Kg LME

.3Kg Crystal 40L

.2Kg Crystal 120L

5g EKG 4.4%(15mins), 5g (5mins)

21L water

2L starter W1098 @21C

BIAB Mashed grist @ approx. 66C for 60mins, 16L boil for 60mins.

I also did a little research into my next brew. Maybe an AG English Mild.

All in all a great day of homebrewing.

P.S. Had my first of many samplings at 10AM[wink]

Archived