Coopers Community

Sanitising PET Bottles

Jimmy78

Hi Gents

Can someone please advise whether it is ok to leave the PET bottles filled with a sanitising fluid (Coopers sanitiser and water mix) for a week or two until you are ready to use them?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Hi Beerlust

My thoughts were the following: When I finished sanitising my FV before I put down my last brew I filled the bottles I had used with the fluid that I sanitised the FV.

My thoughts were that if I kept the fluid in there till a day or two before I was to bottle my next brew, all I would need to do is drain, rise and then use them.

If I was to drain, rise and dry them, lids on and store, would they still be sanitised in say a week or would I need to re sanitise them?

I think I understand where you are coming from now.

Everyone is different in the way they go about things when they brew. Whether it be their techniques, preparation, methodology or whatever else. At the end of the day, if it works for you without any negatives, stick with it. [happy]

My only personal thoughts on that particular process is that I personally (with no real scientific evidence to back this up), would worry about leaving bleach type liquids in plastic containers for extended periods where I wished to eventually drink from. I personally believe ALL plastics at some point have a level of absorption when in contact with certain chemicals.

Thus I would be reluctant to leave a sanitising fluid in PET bottles for the time length you specified.

As I said earlier, it's just my personal opinion.

Beer.

The Coopers sanitiser is sodium percarbonate, not bleach.

It shouldn't be a problem leaving it in the bottles for a couple of days. Although it is easier (and perhaps more effective) using a no rinse sanitiser like Starsan, I used to use the Coopers sanitiser on my bottles before getting Starsan and had no problems.

No problem whatsoever. It's what I do and I have only had one infection in a PET bottle - but that was a brand new bottle and I probably rinsed only (before I got to the no-rinse sanitisers).

I empty my FV into the bottles and leave them filled until brew-day, then empty rinse and fill with beer (now I also starsan)

After I finish a homebrew I put some water in it shake the sh!t out of it and let it drain then I Starsan it put it on my tree. Next day I put cap back on for next brew. Brew day I Starsan them again.

My theory is this. With Starsan and a bottle tree it is so easy so why not?

Archived