Coopers Community

General Update

Hi guys haven't been on much lately due to being busy with my new business. Anyhow firstly Home brand update. Well the results are in with 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks bottled I decided to give my mates a try...... They loved it reckon it was better than Carlton in my own honest opinion it actually is drinkable I know if I am short on funds these home brand draught kits are ok I much prefer hoppy beers but if I need something to fill the cupboard I will make it I give it a 3 out of 5 bit bland malty and slight bitterness so I will be making that again as the mates drank a cartons worth no worries and were rapt so also good for megaswill mates. Secondly my hop bine is going mad it only has 2 shoots not sure if it will yield enough for a brew if any but none the less its growing well was hoping on a couple more individual stems anyhow going good. Now I am to work out what 2 beers I want to make next week got to stock up for new years eve mates are coming around and I offered free home brew plus we can see the fireworks from the front of my place. All in all everything is going good just mainly wanted to update on the Home brand experiment Cheers

Cutting it a bit fine for NYE aren't we Wayne? Unless it's getting kegged I suppose.

Glad everything is working out for you buddy.

Phil.

EDIT: My Chinook only has two bines as well, however both of them are over my head. The old boy is coming around later today to help me extend the trellis an extra 2m up. [innocent]

Cutting it a bit fine for NYE aren't we Wayne? Unless it's getting kegged I suppose.

Glad everything is working out for you buddy.

Phil.

EDIT: My Chinook only has two bines as well, however both of them are over my head. The old boy is coming around later today to help me extend the trellis an extra 2m up. [innocent]

2 months and she'll be

skyhook.png

Hi guys the home brand tins are $8 a can at my local Safeway. I am going to do a pale ale which in the past i have found to be extremely drinkable after 2 weeks in the bottle so I am hoping it will be ready otherwise got plenty of Cerveza which I am drinking at the moment till my EV is ready. Bill the rate the hop bines are growing I think they are already growing like the magical bean stalk [biggrin]

That's fine if you like to have an 'OK' beer, but for a 'GREAT' Craft beer, a little more work is needed.

Replace hops with Jam and grain with porridge and allbran (or branflakes)

It'll be a dollar more expensive, but porridge improves the mouthfeel and headretention and jamming your brews makes them taste amazing [love]

Home brand generic kit 1.7kg

best value refined white sugar 750gms

porridge 250gms - steep 30 mins

allbran 250gms - steep 30 mins

jam 15gms @ 30mins

marmalade 30gms @ 30mins

jam 10gms @ 5mins

pitch kit yeast @ 18-32\xb0C.

+ dry jamming 15gms jam on day 2 (I use a sock to keep the jam contained. I put a stone in the sock so that it sinks, then before bottling I wash my hands and reach in for the sock. i love to lick my arms afterwards. One of the simple pleasures of life)

*optional: 200g very burnt toast crumbs if you want a little more colour and a fuller flavor. It goes great with the jam and makes for a fantastic jam and toast 'breakfast beer'*

You should let this ferment for about 4 days at 27C or 6 days at 21C, and bottle as soon as you get 2 consecutive days with the same SG.

TO test this, you can simply open the FV and place your hydrometer in the brewing wort.

Take some time to stick your nose in there and take in a big noseful of the Co2. Mmmm stingy.[kissing]

Prime with 8g jam per liter (a rounded teaspoon is about 6g) and leave for at least 7 days to condition and reach its peak.

Most of all though, have fun and enjoy your brewing.[biggrin]

So what I'm hearing is that, if desperate times called for it, I could make about two and a half cartons of drinkable beer for under ten bucks.

1.7kg Home Brand Draught: $8.00

1.0kg Home Brand Sugar: $1.50

Liver failure: Priceless

That is if you want to be a tight arse, I opted for 500g LDM and 500g of white sugar as it was an experiment however the Home Brand kit doesn't have as much bitterness as the coopers kits it would be a good base to make something good. I much prefer my craft beers however the simple recipe I made with the home brand has won the approval of the megaswill mob. Anyhow regarding liver failure it will happen if you don't drink responsibly with any kind of beer wine or spirits.

Archived