Coopers Community

Damn S-04 Yeast!

Hi guys.

I put a brew down on Friday using the S-04 yeast. I haven't used the yeast before, but the brew has now been down for some 39hrs or so & no obvious activity in way that fermentation has started. [crying]

It was pitched at 22\xb0C & allowed to remain at that temp for 15hrs before I lowered the temp to a constant 18\xb0C. I did have a previous brew behave in a similar way not too long back, so will be patient.

If fermentation hasn't started by the time I get home I will be concerned. [sad]

Beer.

Have you taken a gravity reading Lusty? Is there any condensation (I know you said there is no obvious activity but I had to ask anyway).

As you say patience is required in these trying times - Give it a couple of days and then work on a game plan for if another sachet of yeast is required.

My thoughts are with you through this hard period [crying]

I put a brew down on Friday using the S-04 yeast. I haven't used the yeast before, but the brew has now been down for some 39hrs or so & no obvious activity in way that fermentation has started.

It was pitched at 22\xb0C

S04 was my introduction to specialty yeasts and I used it successfully five times but only managed to rinse it once. Anyway I checked my notes, while on a gardening break, to see if I could be of any help. On all occasions a Krausen had started to form by the 36 hour mark but never before 30 hours, in all instances fermentation temperature was achieved within 8 hours of pitching yeast.

Pitching amounts, OGs and temps

14g into 1.053 @ 21'C, fermented at 18'C, FG 1.1011

7g into 1.039 @ 19'C, fermented at 7'C, FG 1.009

150ml slurry into 1.0548 @ 22'C, fermented at 19'C, FG 1.010

10g into 1.037 @ 23'C, fermented at 18'C, FG 1.008

12g into 1.038 @ 17'C, fermented at 17'C, FG 1.009

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.

I've just arrived home from work, & nothing much seems to have changed with the brew. It's now approx 48hrs since the yeast was pitched. I feel it may have been a DUD batch of yeast (or just the strain like Yob said!) [lol] This would be a 1st for me in all the time I have been brewing.

Have you taken a gravity reading Lusty? Is there any condensation (I know you said there is no obvious activity but I had to ask anyway).

There is a small amount of condensation on the inside of the FV lid, but not in a style to me that reflects fermentation as I've always viewed it. It looks more like the thin condensation you would get by cooling a warmer liquid. I will be unable to get to a Brew shop until early Wednesday for more yeast, So I'll take a SG reading Tuesday after I arrive home from work to see if anything has miraculously changed. Stranger things have happened.

Damn S-04 yeast! [pinched]

I wonder what the "S" stands for in this yeasts name? Stupid? Sleepy? Slothan? Slumber? Sucker? Sh*t? Speedy? Stopped? Sand? [tongue]

As Arthur Dunger once said, "I might be fat, but I'm not dumb!"

You can bet I won't be buying another batch of that S-04 yeast! I've just joined Yob on his side of the fence on this one. [rightful]

Beer.

You can bet I won't be buying another batch of that S-04 yeast! I've just joined Yob on his side of the fence on this one.

Give one of the Wyeast english strains ago. The 1275 I used in my current English Bitter is top notch. Split it as BillK suggests to get your money's worth. I didn't split it but rinsed and repitched into four more brews.

Thanks for the suggestion Will.

I have no doubt they are the best available yeasts on the market for home & craft brewing. They also carry a price tag accordingly. I am aware that those who use Wyeasts rinse & re-use from slurry etc. to counter the initial cost, but I'm not quite at that stage with my brewing just yet.

I'm actually just about to do my first attempt at re-culturing Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast. 36\xb0C today here in Adelaide, & the 4 stubbies of Pale Ale I've had sitting at the back of the fridge for the last 3-4 weeks, look like being decanted down my throat while leaving the suggested amount behind in the bottle to begin the re-culture process.

Once I'm happy that I can successfully re-culture Coopers Commercial yeast, I'll probably have a try at rinsing & re-using FV slurry at some point after that.

Beer.

I'm actually just about to do my first attempt at re-culturing Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast. 36\xb0C today here in Adelaide, & the 4 stubbies of Pale Ale I've had sitting at the back of the fridge for the last 3-4 weeks, look like being decanted down my throat while leaving the suggested amount behind in the bottle to begin the re-culture process.

Ain't that the biggest coincidence. I am in the process of re-culturing the yeast from three Pale Ale long necks (4th time). I hope to put down a Fruit Salad Ale on Tuesday. Should have done this last night but my son came to visit and I was intent on showing off my English Bitter. I failed at doing this last year and actually succeeded in rinsing yeast (thanks Yob) before I managed to re-culture the Coopers Yeast. My first two brews that successfully used re-cultured yeast were Aussie Pale Ale attempts, I thought that the Coopers yeast was as Australian as you could get.

While on the subject...

I've read a lot of the discussion by members on this, along with obviously reading PB2's procedure for this.

The only lingering question I have left after reading all the text available on the site on the subject, is how much viable yeast are you producing in comparison to a dry yeast additive, by following the 4 stubby procedure? I am almost certain that Yob posed a similar question along the same lines about this. As yet I have not seen anything definitive in relation to this on the forum.

PB2 does state in that pinned thread, that an increase can be created by using the whole 6 pack base. My question to that is why would I need to do that?

Being so far a solely dry yeast user, am I making the equivalent of a 7gm, 11gm, or larger equivalent yeast portion via this method?

Beer.

You can bet I won't be buying another batch of that S-04 yeast! I've just joined Yob on his side of the fence on this one.

Give one of the Wyeast english strains ago. The 1275 I used in my current English Bitter is top notch. Split it as BillK suggests to get your money's worth. I didn't split it but rinsed and repitched into four more brews.

Or, if you want to use a dry yeast, give Danstar Windsor or Nottingham a go.

The only lingering question I have left after reading all the text available on the site on the subject' date=' is how much viable yeast are you producing in comparison to a dry yeast additive, by following the 4 stubby procedure? [/quote']

It's a good question. So far for my two brews that have been kegged and bottled I used 3 long necks each. Mainly because I read in Home Brewer that you are unlikely to reach the epic populations required for over pitching. Anyway both brews had a healthy Krausen after 36 hours and fermented out in 6 days, according to SG readings (@ 18'C). No real taste test yet, but from the FV everything including the sample seemed the same as all my other brews. I guess I am trusting in Paul's process and I am sure that it won't let me down.

PS I always pitch more than Mr Malty advises when using yeast slurry from the trub [innocent] .

I've never had any issues with S-04 as yet. But I am keen to try the other English ale yeasts. Wouldn't mind having a go at rinsing from the trub either' date=' will have to find the thread about it. [/quote']

I've never had any problems with S-04 either. In fact the opposite. I've been rather pleased with the results.

Here's a link to washing yeast.

Hey Beer, The strain of yeast is NOT your problem! If your brew has not started fermenting yet then I would suspect poor storage or handling of your particular packet of yeast. If you have to re-pitch I'd be trying the S-04 again. They wouldn't be able to call it beer yeast if it didn't brew beer.

happens to us all, I pitched a rinsed yeast on Saturday that had been in the fridge perhaps a week or two too long, no signs of life today so am going to add a packet of US-05 (still at 1055 too so safe to assume no movement) I should have had it on the stirplate for a day, lesson learned [alien]

Not sure what happened to it, just one of those things, every so often you get one that just doesnt fire.

Thats Brewin, not freaking out and taking whatever steps are required to get it happening.

Yob

Hi guys.

Just before I went to work this morning, I thought I'd have one last peek in the brew fridge to see if anything at all had happened regarding some form of fermentation starting. By some miracle overnight, there was actually the beginnings of quite a healthy Krausen!

I just shook my head & went off to work thinking maybe I was imagining things. [surprised

When I got home tonight, I had another look. The cocky FV is even bubbling now! [tongue]

I mean that is remarkable. Somewhere between 48-60hrs in the FV before there were any obvious visual signs of fermentation.

I'm still in shock.

Beer.

I'm not!

Haha Canuck!

I thought that was you I could see up in the stands waving your S-04 flag! [lol]

I'm obviously really glad it decided to break from it's self induced coma state, & ferment my beer!

Damn S-04 yeast! [pinched] [lol]

Beer.

Archived