Coopers Community

Bulk PET caps?

King Ruddager

Does anyone know of a good place to get bulk PET caps? It'll save me a lot of cursing and swearing as I rush down to Big W at 4:55 on a Sunday having realised I don't have enough to finish bottling my latest batch because I didn't remember to buy them again.

Note: I'm sure I'll eventually running out of a big bag and curse and swear all over again, but at least it won't be as often.

Why don't you reuse them?

I have never bought any additional caps. Just reuse the ones I have [cool]

If you are ever in urgent need of some though, you can also use the 1.25L bottles of Coke etc. they also fit.

When I finish a PET bottle I will rinse it in hot water. Half fill the bottle with hot water (from the tap) screw on the lid, give it a few shakes, empty the bottle over the lid and screw the lid back on loosely then tighten up when cooled. It stays on the bottle until I am ready to use it when I will just give a quick rinse under hot water, spray with starsan and reuse.

Why don't you reuse them?

I have never bought any additional caps. Just reuse the ones I have [cool]

If you are ever in urgent need of some though, you can also use the 1.25L bottles of Coke etc. they also fit.

+1 I reuse my caps I even bottle some of my beer in 1.25's as well never had an issue, With the clear 1.25's I have alittle dark home for them till they are ready to be drank never had an issue with lightstrike either.

just wash and sanitize as you would the bottles, re use no problems, with 750ml pet bottles as well as with the 1.25l PET.

do not use hot water on pet high temp will melt PET.

happy brewing .... MrBeer !!!

I reuse them ad nauseum...never had an issue.

I rinse my bottles in the way Bill described and then on bottling day I throw the caps in a bowl and splash a bit of iodphor solution or starsan on them.

Buying new caps all the time is like only wearing your undies once then chucking them in the bin...an unnecessary expense.

do not use hot water on pet high temp will melt PET.

Using hot water will not melt your PETs. I have always done it without any issues whatsoever. However, using boiling water will damage your bottles which is why I use hot water straight from the tap.

Archived