Coopers Community

Can to old. Bin?

HenrikF

The kit should be alright' date=' the yeast may not be. If you plan to use the kit yeast, just make sure you have a spare sachet lying around. Personally, I'd go out and get a different yeast anyway. [rightful']

+1

Beer.

When the kits get older the malt tends to darken and is not as fresh as intended should turn out no worries but I am with Phil the yeast most likely has had it so I would recommend using a newer yeast and using the kits yeast as nutrient. However if the yeast in the kit is all you got and you have no sign of activity for over 24 - 30 hours might be wise to pitch some fresh yeast in

would you cook a steak that was 3 months past its best by date?

Do you eat cake thats been left on the bench for a few days?

Do you drink cofee thats a day old and reheated in the microwave?

You 'could' add a kilo of grains to try and freshen it up but I honestly wouldnt bother.

If I didnt have a fresh Yeast I wouldnt be brewing.

I answered yes to all those questions except the steak one (I hate steak [sick])

I wouldn't buy a can that is close to it's best by date but I wouldn't definitely use one that is a few months old if I'd already bought it...with fresh yeast of course.

Now if I may be excused, I must go and get my coffee out of the microwave [cool]

would you cook a steak that was 3 months past its best by date?

When I was Butchering, years ago now, I used to hang steak in the cool room for about 2 months until is was green and hard on the outside. Then cut the crust off and slice the steak. mmmm, so tender!!....

Back OT, just use it for starters and hop boils and the yeast as a nutrient. Why chance making a shi+ beer for a few $$$?

I know that its not good, but let me tell you all a little story from the other side of earth[biggrin]

First of all, we do not have ANY local home brew stores.. Only way to get supplies are online shopping.. Wich also makes this and other forums precios[biggrin]

The price for one can of coopers are $19..

Still hoping it will turn out ok, used both grains and hops, so fingers crossed[happy]

$19... OMFG! a great reason why I love AG [innocent]

Edit: probably a lot cheaper to ship a few cans in from Aust.

+ shipping of course[crying]

I am also pondering the shift to extract as this can be gotten a bit cheaper[cool]

And you would think shipping a big load from Aus. would be perfect, but shipping across planet earth: quite expensive it turns out[pinched]

Maybe this needed a separate thread to be said, but this will do here.

1. Kit Base Brewing: Is for those brewers who like the flavours of the base kit tins to brew with. You can certainly enhance those base flavours with additional hops & malts. However, you are still somewhat restricted in the direction(s) you can head in terms of overall flavours using kit tins as a base.

2. Extract Base Brewing: By using pure malts as a base, you have the advantage of creating a hop environment uniquely your own with no interference, from a pre-hopped kit can. Sure you can add grains into the mix as well but the major influence (for me) is the hop influence you can sculpt into the flavour of your beer.

3. Full All Grain Brewing: Complete control & influence over ALL aspects of brewing. To create a truly unique brew that NO-ONE has EVER created, this is the only way it can happen.

Beer.

So I just open my kit and the use by date is 03/09/2012 ... so I was not happy. Now that I am thinking about it maybe not so bad I was thinking March, 9, 2012(US) but am I correct that this is Assie Septembet 3, 2012 and probably ok?

Thanks

So I just open my kit and the use by date is 03/09/2012 ... so I was not happy. Now that I am thinking about it maybe not so bad I was thinking March, 9, 2012(US) but am I correct that this is Assie Septembet 3, 2012 and probably ok?

Thanks

Also, are you sure it wasn't a packaged on date rather than a best before date? I haven't brewed with a can for a few months now so I can't remember which way they write it.

Archived