Coopers Community

How to make VB!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How VB is still in production is almost a total mystery to me. A defiance of both common sense & logic.

Sheer marketing bombardment volume is all that has kept that beer alive, combined with a large chunk of the Australian male population currently over the age of 50, who have most likely continued to chain smoke their taste buds to death, & don't know any better.

A good beer you want to allow to reach 5-7\xb0C to appreciate its aroma & flavour. Not so with VB. If you are actually game enough to drink one, get that thing bordering on iced up so you can't even taste it! [lol]

Very Bad, Vile Bile, Vomit Bucket & all the other connotations. VB.

I hope I'm still alive to see the day it's production is discontinued.

Beer.

I am pretty sure with Coopers anyhow they pre hop their kits with real pride of ringwood (PB2 could you please clarify this?) I know with their commercial coopers its naturally bittered however that ISOHOP is Hop extract but with added chemicals and its only purpose is for bittering. I only wrote this post because one of my megaswill mates is wanting me to make a VB clone for him I told him the recipe above if he wants to make it himself LOL

Hi Wayne,

this ISOHOP sounds like bad shite.

Is it added to the hops us home brewers buy or is a type of hop ?

Sounds like something commercial brewers use.

Brendan.

Forgot to mention a few breweries do use ISOHOP however the hop pellets or flowers you buy contain no ISOHOP, ISOHOP comes in a syringe and for the commercial brewers in big drums I gather.

I'm not that familiar with the recipe for making VB and I'm not at liberty to speculate (or comment) on process. [whistling

Yes, our brews are bittered with PoR hops but we also may dose some of our cans with ISOHOP to bring the level of bitterness up to within specification.

ISOHOP (Isomerised Hop Extract) certainly has a place in the commercial brewing world - many fine beer brands contain ISOHOP. [tongue] In my experience, it produces very clean flavours and - the great thing - you know exactly how much to add to get a certain amount of bitterness!

Several years ago, I ran 3 separate lager fermentations, with varying bitterness levels, for the purpose of using the brews as a base for Pure Hop Aroma additions, with the intent of matching aroma/flavour profiles of certain commercial beer brands. The brews were nothing more than 2.5kg of light dry malt made to 23litres, dosed with ISOHOP and fermented with lager yeast at 13C. The consultant, over from the UK, made the comment that the brews were too clean, making it extremely difficult to match profiles [roll]

Note: The process of boiling real hops is isomerisation. [biggrin]

Perhaps it would be worth your time reading material produced by hop experts...here's a good source: BARTH-HAAS

Hops act as a preservative.

Isohop suffers from light strike.

Redihop, Tetrahop and Hexahop are light stable. [sideways]

Thanks PB2,Love a good read if it concerns making great beer.[roll]

PB2 in the information you have given me I read it twice now but certain types of this extract have light protection -- Light protection for beer with all hydrogenated Iso-extracts --- So there is a kind of ISOHOP that protects beer from light strike?

I believe all beer is susceptible to Light Strike.

This explains even more why the headaches are worse.

I particularly love the bit in the data sheet that says

Product is not expected to bioaccumulate.

As in, we don't really know, but we'll say it won't so we get approval.

It's amazing the sh#t that gets put into stuff that we put in or on our bodies.

Wayne, Sodium Laureth (or Lauryl) Sulfate is an industrial cleaner similar to the glycol's and that is in even baby soap. That's why the instructions say to keep out of eyes - it'll burn them [devil]

Archived