Coopers Community

Rehydrating yeast

SamP3

Hi all,

Had my first go at rehydrating yeast, and am worried I've cocked it up completely. Used Saf-Ale 04 yeast, the stuff for use at colder temperature. But it in about 3/4 of a cup of water for 15 minutes at 15 degrees before putting it in the fermenter. It's only been in about 4 hours, but there seems to be no activity.

Did I need to give it a good stir? More water? And more importantly, if I have stuffed it up completely, is there any way to save this brew?

Never rehydrated yeast I will say however If you tipped the yeast into the wort it can take up to 24 or more hours for it to show signs of fermentation more likely in 12 hours on average and i just sprinkle yeast on top and then dab it with the spoon so its all rehydrated and within 12 hours usually got condensation and krausen forming so I would just wait things probably still fine [happy]

Yeah, 4 hours is way too early. Wait 1-2 days before getting concerned.

Usually you rehydrate at a warmer temp than 15 degrees, normally around late 20's. It won't harm it though.

And when you say S-04 is used at cooler temperatures, what temps do you mean? It is an ale yeast so it should be brewed at ale temps.

Hi all,

Had my first go at rehydrating yeast, and am worried I've cocked it up completely. Used Saf-Ale 04 yeast, the stuff for use at colder temperature. But it in about 3/4 of a cup of water for 15 minutes at 15 degrees before putting it in the fermenter. It's only been in about 4 hours, but there seems to be no activity.

Did I need to give it a good stir? More water? And more importantly, if I have stuffed it up completely, is there any way to save this brew?

You have been on the forum since 2010 and are asking this? Gee willikers [roll]

Mate... What does the manufacturers instructions say?

"Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry

yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C \xb1 3C. Once the expected

weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30

minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into

the fermentation vessel."

from HERE

[ninja] [bandit] [rightful]

... don't say you want the airlock to bubble ffs. [pinched]

Caught me!

I recently spent a year in Germany, and was too busy trying new beers to brew my own. This is my first serious-ish brew since I got back, and as mentioned, I've never tried rehydration before, so excuse the ignorance.

Sam, it's great to have you back on board! I bet you tasted some great beer while you were away [tongue]

Some key points:

Look to buy the freshest yeast.

Hopefully, the store has the yeast in a fridge.

Have a smell of the yeast when you open the pack - it should smell fruity or bready - sharp or off cheese smells indicate it's in poor condition (bin it).

Re-hydrating dry yeast may or may not produce foam in the first 15 to 30 mins but don't let this worry you. [smile]

Sam' date=' it's great to have you back on board! I bet you tasted some great beer while you were away [tongue']

Some key points:

Look to buy the freshest yeast.

Hopefully, the store has the yeast in a fridge.

Have a smell of the yeast when you open the pack - it should smell fruity or bready - sharp or off cheese smells indicate it's in poor condition (bin it).

Re-hydrating dry yeast may or may not produce foam in the first 15 to 30 mins but don't let this worry you. [smile]

+1 for smelling dry yeast to indicate if its off I always smell my yeast and also I like to smell the different strains

While on the subject. . .

I'm very close to being able to brew at low temperatures & was simply wondering if pitching a 'starter' (re-hydrated yeast), is wise if it's temperature is still around the low to mid 20 degree mark & your awaiting FV is around 12\xb0C?

Is there an advantage to doing this? I've read literature that advises it, & other material & myths that it can "shock the yeast" & is ill-advised.

What is the best way/temp to pitch yeast at lower temperature FV's?

P.S. I am already aware that you need to pitch more yeast than at higher temperature brews.

Beer.

Archived