Coopers Community

Delaminated PET Bottles

RichardR9

I have had a few (5 or 6) PET bottles delaminate over the last couple of weeks. The inside seems to have peeled away from the outside. Any ideas what causes this, they are about 1 year old and have probably seen 6 or 7 brews each? Quite annoying really as I have been pretty careful with them

I assume they are now unusable and I need to bin them??

Hi Muddy - I did think it was odd, as I couldn't find much on this happening on the Internet. Maybe as you say a dud batch, strange that all the bottles have been fine, and suddenly a few go at once.

Sounds like it's time to re-invest in some more

Well that depends how careless you are regarding ensuring the beer is fully fermented before bottling, and adding the right amount of priming sugar. Of course infections can cause explosions too... however, I brewed for 3 years a while back, and almost a year since I started again and always used glass, never had one explode yet.[biggrin]

The neighbour used to get some explosions back in the day though. [lol]

On the other hand' date=' it's much harder to make a PET bottle explode.[/quote']

Beer that has been propperly fermented in clean bottles will not explode.. if you get explody bottles then it's time to have a look at your processes and get it right, regardless of what package it's in.

[rightful] [ninja]

you know... you dont get that trouble with glass bottles [whistling

On the other hand, it's much harder to make a PET bottle explode.

And glass doesn't bounce anything like as well as plastic, (butter fingers?)

I too have experienced this delamination but I'm sure the instructions that come with the bottles state that this does happen and will make no difference to the efficiency of the bottles. I've used mine several times and not had a problem.

Archived