Coopers Community

How much US-05 Yeast to use?

Jarvo_325

Hi guys

First time I'm going to use US-05 yeast and I wondered if I could ask a question about it so that I get it right as I normally use 7g coopers yeast that comes with the kit.

I'm thinking of making this:

Coopers English Bitter

1kg LDM

250g Dex

250 Crystal Malt

+hop additions

made to 23L

How many grams of US-05 would I need? I will hydrate the yeast also.

Thanks

I've only seen the Safale US-05 in 11.5g packets. Craftbrewer make their own twin packs of 12g each though.

Is your packet Safale branded or something your brew shop put together?

I would use 2 x 7g packets. It is better to over pitch a couple of grams then to significantly under pitch.

Is it the Fermentis brand or repackaged? I was also sure the US-05 sachets were 11.5.

It's repackaged and 7g, that is assuming that Nick got it from Amanda at THBS in Bathurst Street. She must make all her purchases in bulk as everything I have purchased there is in a generic pack with a printed label.

Those U-Brew-It joints use bulk packed yeast to ferment their/your beer with. You never know how its been handled or stored or how mush exposure to other beasties it's had while being re-packaged? Go the genuine stuff rather than someone out to make a quick buck out of you.

It isn't a U-Brew-It store and Amanda has various university degrees and qualifications. Even though I don't agree with what she is doing, if this is the case, I am sure she is well aware of best handling and storing practices.

It is in fact a 7g Safale pack and I think it is $1.80.

It isn't a U-Brew-It store and Amanda has various university degrees and qualifications. Even though I don't agree with what she is doing, if this is the case, I am sure she is well aware of best handling and storing practices.

It is in fact a 7g Safale pack and I think it is $1.80.

+100% Bill

I also purchased US05 (early on), 11.5g in original packaging, from the other HBS in greater Hobart. This one was stored on the shelf, next to the hops, and the beer I made was not the best. I put it down to the yeast as everything else was identical.

I have now switched to liquid yeast (Wyeast) from Craft Brewer. Such a wide range and so far rinsing has went well. My current Amber brew is using the 1275 strain which is on its third brew. Value for money? yep I have made 4 brews with this yeast and am hoping to use it on a Porter before retiring it.

Hey Scott if you are now using liquid yeasts then follow this suggestion and you won't run out:

1. get yourself some test tubes and split the pack in 4. Store 3 in the fridge.

2. step up a starter with the 4th to pitch in your next brew.

3. harvest the yeast as you are now and keep doing so to get say 6 (or more) brews from it.

4. Repeat the above with the next 2 packs.

5. step up the last pack and split into 4 then repeat from step 1.

Doing the above you will have a never ending yeast supply just buying 1 pack of liquid [kissing]

Hey Scott if you are now using liquid yeasts then follow this suggestion and you won't run out:

1. get yourself some test tubes and split the pack in 4. Store 3 in the fridge.

2. step up a starter with the 4th to pitch in your next brew.

3. harvest the yeast as you are now and keep doing so to get say 6 (or more) brews from it.

4. Repeat the above with the next 2 packs.

5. step up the last pack and split into 4 then repeat from step 1.

Doing the above you will have a never ending yeast supply just buying 1 pack of liquid [kissing]

I was wondering about this, there is a swag of yeast in those packs. They are smack packs, I am assuming Bill that you don't smack them but also split the nutrient and keep for the starter. Is that right?

PS When I get some test tubes I will also have to get one of those white coats, I can see it now [lol]

I was wondering about this' date=' there is a swag of yeast in those packs. They are smack packs, I am assuming Bill that you don't smack them but also split the nutrient and keep for the starter. Is that right?[/quote']

smacking the pack prior to splitting is the best way to ensure that the yeast are at optimum health and viability.. Invest in some yeast nutrient for your starters also.

Yob

I was wondering about this' date=' there is a swag of yeast in those packs. They are smack packs, I am assuming Bill that you don't smack them but also split the nutrient and keep for the starter. Is that right?[/quote']

smacking the pack prior to splitting is the best way to ensure that the yeast are at optimum health and viability.. Invest in some yeast nutrient for your starters also.

Yob

+1

Yeah smack the bejesus out of it [cool]

Archived