Coopers Community

Hops

c47588

I concur with Real Life Otto.

Experimenting with different ingredients & additives is 90% of the fun of home brewing for me, though certain styles of beer certainly have certain hops which help create that style.

As Yob said, tell us what type of beer you are wanting to copy or emulate & many of the guys on this forum can certainly offer up suggestions for you.

Beer.

That's a tough one to nail down absolutely,since a lot is personal preference in regard to flavor/aroma. But Saaz & Haulertauer went good in my dark ale,even a pale ale. Many English hops are good with an OS can,like draught or lager & munton's plain light DME (3lb bag). Sterling hops are good too in pale ales. German Perle & sterling go good together. You have to read up on flavor/aroma/bittering descriptions to get an idea of what would go with what.

I would boil it in a few litres of water and LME at a gravity between 1030 & 1040. Adding 100g of LME per litre of water should get you in the ballpark. I don't actually measure the LME, I just guess. Say, third of a can for 5 litres.

Boiling in water will give you greater utilisation but it is reported to result in a harsher bitterness & flavour.

Archived