Coopers Community

Lost another batch!

Canadian Eh!L

It has nothing to do with how long you have been brewing or cleaning (how long does it take to clean a lid anyway [unsure]) or for that matter confusion about why it isn't bubbling.

It is for all the other reason touted ad nauseum...but if your happy that is all that matters really.

I think there is a tendency by some brewers to put the blinkers on and have an anti-Coopers stance therefore anything made by them is to be pooh-poohed. I think this is just a case of recto-cranial displacement and helps nobody.

This is precisely why I limit my online reading to a select few sources. A depressingly large number of people simply lack the mental capacity to grow out of that obsolete, Neanderthal "us vs. them" tribal mentality and personal vanity that insists that their way of doing things is the only acceptable one, others be damned. [annoyed]

As for airlocks, I like them and have no need to do away with them. I like to just sit there and listen to the bubbling, much like a grandfather might like to sit in a rocking chair and watch his grandchildren play. [lol]

Yeah' date=' just put two sheets of gladwrap over the top of the FV, and then keep it in place with the O ring from the lid. I think the gas just escapes under the O ring because it's not an airtight seal as such. [/quote']

How airtight does it really have to be anyway? Kinda sounds like you do it with the Coopers DIY FV if you were industrious enough!

I started with a DIY jigger, but as I'm looking at bar-sized fridges now I'm concerned about its height. I figure for volcanic brews I can just put the lid with clips on or wait until the krausen (sp?) collapses and I'll be fine. The volcanic ones are usually winter beers anyway, right? Won't need the fridge so much for those anyway.

Well yeah it doesn't have to be completely airtight, and most lids aren't anyway. It's just an alternative method of achieving exactly the same result i.e. closed fermentation and keeping nasties out of the brew.

As for volcanic brews, I'm not exactly sure what causes them to be volcanic, whether it's how big they are (OG) or the style, or the type of malts used. The most volcanic ones I've brewed to date are the SMOTY Ale (OG 1052) and the Toucan Stout (OG 1062), both dark beers and the biggest I've done regarding OG readings. But someone in the know should be able to help you there.[biggrin]

As for volcanic brews' date=' I'm not exactly sure what causes them to be volcanic, whether it's how big they are (OG) or the style, or the type of malts used.[/quote']

Both, I would say, plus the amount of yeast used. Do a Toucan brew with lots of dark malts and both packets of yeast and you'll end up with a nice re-enactment of the Krakatoa eruption.

I used to have the leaky tap issue but have long over come that. The only issue I have with the Coopers DIY FV is the little lip/ledge that accumulates trub and crap above the tap. When bottling/kegging then this does flow through the tap. However, it does not have a bad affect on the beer.

I used to have the leaky tap issue but have long over come that. The only issue I have with the Coopers DIY FV is the little lip/ledge that accumulates trub and crap above the tap. When bottling/kegging then this does flow through the tap. However' date=' it does not have a bad affect on the beer.[/quote']

Hey Bill I've been really lucky with my tap as it has never leaked, however the FV has only been empty longer than 6 hours on one occasion. As for the little ledge it has also been a problem for me but more so when I used S04, it really became noticeable for me then. The current batch of Wyeast 1275 is much better in that regard. I can't really recall how it was with kits yeasts or US05. Could it be to do with flocculation? 1275 is at the low end and does take a full 2 weeks to drop out of suspension.

The only issue I have with the Coopers DIY FV is the little lip/ledge that accumulates trub and crap above the tap. When bottling/kegging then this does flow through the tap. However' date=' it does not have a bad affect on the beer.[/quote']

A few taps with the handle of the plastic spoon (or similar) on the outer wall of the FV will usually mobilise the sediment, causing it to slowly drop to the base of the FV - try this around a couple of hrs to a day prior to bottling/kegging [wink]

The only issue I have with the Coopers DIY FV is the little lip/ledge that accumulates trub and crap above the tap. When bottling/kegging then this does flow through the tap. However' date=' it does not have a bad affect on the beer.[/quote']

A few taps with the handle of the plastic spoon (or similar) on the outer wall of the FV will usually mobilise the sediment, causing it to slowly drop to the base of the FV - try this around a couple of hrs to a day prior to bottling/kegging [wink]

Thanks Paul good tip[cool] [cool]

Yeah thanks Paul.... dur!!... something so simple can elude one at times.

Archived