Coopers Community

Tips for setting up for all grain brewing

DylanI

Hi all

Firstly, sorry if there's already a thread on this. I did look.

I'm wanting to step up and get into all grain brewing. I'm looking for any tips on good, or cheap (or preferably both) approaches to setting up all the gear required for all grain.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I need a mash tun, kettle and a chiller (got the rest from my kit/extract/spec grains brewing). I've listed my thinking below, if you've got any tips, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,

-Dylan

Mash Tun

I want to make one. I've been reading the bible (How to Brew, by John Palmer), and I think I've got the idea.

I think I'll go a 30L esky (perhaps this one). For the manifold, I was thinking I'll go with the design from How to Brew, with 1/2 inch copper tubing at fittings. I got a voucher for Beerbelly (best homebrew shop in Adelaide) for my birthday, which should sort out taps, bullkhead, thermometer, etc...

Chiller

I've got a friend who made one out of a 18m coil of annealed copper tubing from Bunnings. The copper is $119 + any fittings which need to go on it. I've seen it in action, it looks pretty good.

Kettle

This is where I'm totally out of my depth, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to set this stuff up as cheap as possible. I've heard that people make these out of kegs. Where would I get an old keg from (legally, I'm not flogging one)?

If they're no good, is a big stock pot the go? I've seen reasonably cheap ones on ebay. I've been told stainless steel is preferred over aluminium, as its hard to stuff it up when drilling the hole for the tap. True?

Mash Tun

I want to make one. I've been reading the bible (How to Brew, by John Palmer), and I think I've got the idea.

I think I'll go a 30L esky (perhaps this one). For the manifold, I was thinking I'll go with the design from How to Brew, with 1/2 inch copper tubing at fittings. I got a voucher for Beerbelly (best homebrew shop in Adelaide) for my birthday, which should sort out taps, bullkhead, thermometer, etc...

Chiller

I've got a friend who made one out of a 18m coil of annealed copper tubing from Bunnings. The copper is $119 + any fittings which need to go on it. I've seen it in action, it looks pretty good.

Kettle

This is where I'm totally out of my depth, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to set this stuff up as cheap as possible. I've heard that people make these out of kegs. Where would I get an old keg from (legally, I'm not flogging one)?

If they're no good, is a big stock pot the go? I've seen reasonably cheap ones on ebay. I've been told stainless steel is preferred over aluminium, as its hard to stuff it up when drilling the hole for the tap. True?

I use a mash tun in an esky like THIS ONE, can push out some big beers from it... Id say 45l is a minimum.. I keep eyeballing those TECHNI ICE BOX's.. not coz they are better.. just coz they are bigger.. but I also promised myself I wouldnt tinker with my system for a few months [innocent]

Manifold as copper tube is what I use also, exactly like the one pictured in the link (the one on the left).

Look into No Chill.. you can save a bunch of money there..

nochill.jpg

Kegs are awesome for single batches.. a little more difficult to get a double out of but not impossible.

If you are going to get a keggle, (I rekon they are tits) and drill it yourself, be sure to get a Carbide Tungstan Hole Saw, the step drill bits from Bunnings are shite and wont do the job.. well they might but didnt for me and I blew my drill up as well [pinched]

There are pro's and cons to both Keggle's and stock pots.. Im probably going to get my keggle modified at a later date to enlarge it. Try Ebay for the Keg, or ask beerbelly who may be able to help you out.

Yob

Cheers Yob

So bigger is better (within reason) for mash tuns. Ok, I'll look into a bigger esky. I was trying to get something on the lower end, so that I would get a thicker grainbed for more even drainage. It would be nice to have the possibility of double batches though...

I've got more thinking to do.

All good info. Cheers.

-Dylan

Really depends on your needs and space i guess.. Ive had the willow for over a year amd still dont feel the need to go bigger.. Smaller ones can always be sold on if you do want to go larger...

No harm in starting small and building up

If you have real intentions of doing double batches then you are better off getting the bigger gear now. You can still do singles in it. You just need to work out what you intend on doing.

Not sure what your budget is but Craftbrewer have 70 litre SS pots with the hole pre-drilled. They're not really cheap though.

They're not really cheap though.

And Im sure his standard delivery cost to SA wont apply for that item.

I got mine from Gumtree, a bakery was getting rid of 2x 50L Ali pots, Ive since bought 3 x 50L kegs from Gumtree for $60. Try ringing around your local tips, the guy at mine told me old kegs come in all the time when I was looking.

Factor in a good sized burner and stand into your sums.

Also the gas bottle if you dont have a second one, I originally tryed the small bbq one we had, it lasted 3 brews so I went out and bought the biggest one I could find.

I am in the process of doing the same, at the moment I am doing mini and maxi biab (boil in a bag, with and without post mash dilution) in a Big W 19l stock pot.

Mash Tun

Currently biab, but already have a 70 litre chest esky (for camping trips), that will get converted when I have time and upgrade kettle. I have an idea involving Bunnings $7 pails and swiss voile to replace the lautering arm, sort of a combination of false bottoms and boil in a bag, may not work but will be a cheap experiment.

Ultimate aim is to turn the current 19l kettle into a Heat Exchanger.

Chiller

Planning on doing the same, but was suprised at how expensive the copper pipping was. Would be really interested in knowing how much difference it makes, Jamil on his website thinks the difference is huge (although he has also added a whirlpool recirculator to keep the wort circulating over the surface). Will probably make one, do a side by side comparison and decide it wasn't worth the effort.

Kettle

I'm going to go the stock pot route, will probably pick up two. One to uses as a kettle and a Hot Liquor Tank for sparging, probably an 80l and 60l.

Need to get a burner as have been kicked out of the kitchen by SWMBO, so hoping to get to Anaconda over the weekend.

Hey Gang,

I just put down my first All-Grain brew today. It went well. My set up is a 40L? rectangle cooler (eskey) with a stainless mesh manifold as my mash tun. I used my bottling bucket as a lauter tun. For the kettle I used two 20L SS stock pot. This has pros and cons.

Pros. 1. Splitting the batch and using two burners on the stove to get the wort to boil a lot faster that one burner for the full volume. 2. easier to carry two kettles with half the weight of boiling wort than it is to carry one at full volume around the brewery.

Cons. 1. Have to have two pots. 2. more evaporation from two pots during the boil. 3. have to clean two pots instead of one at the end of the brew day. 4. have to chill two pots down instead of one( i.e. two laundry sinks[annoyed] )

Cheap way to get into AG is BIAB in an urn. Everything you need is virtually done and produces just as good a result. Another bonus is good if you haven't much room. Lots of pros with not many cons.

You should be able to pick up cheaper copper somewhere than that to make a chiller or can successfully no chill for cheaper.

I freakin love BIAB ! [love] [love] [love]

I started a few months ago with a 19L Big W pot on the stove doing Maxi BIAB and keep gradually changing bits of my system as I go. When I got a 35L stockpot from my local asian grocer I discovered that my gas stove could (just) bring nearly 30L to the boil!

This was great, but it's definitely time for a burner. You know what though? I'm so chuffed with the results I'm currently getting, and how simple BIAB is, that I doubt I'll switch to 3V, unless I feel the need to have all that gear around for tinkering. Each to their own, but for me, I like simplicity. Only ten or so AG batches in and already I'm making better beer than any of my kit brews.

Whatever you do you'll love it!!

Have fun!

BIAB? what half arsed AG??.. gimme a break [lol]

NO not really.. am only joking.

Any way you go about it and "dial in" will result in magnificent brews that you will be amazed with,

Do it all and raise your experience level with the procedures..

and then move onto 4V HERMS.. like real men [lol] [lol]

sorry... I dont really mean that [lol]

Hey all!

BIAB sounds like fun, I almost went BIAB. But I went ahead and built a cooler mash tun with these plans Cooler Mash Tun Built-Guide.

But I used this type of cooler instead

outer%2520smal.JPG

Kinda looks like this

img00027-20090607-1903-300x225.jpg

Ive only done 1 brew with it. But so far. Im lovin it. Had a tad low eff with this 1st AG batch, but it was my fault, grains were too cool and droped my mash temp a bit. Still came out great. Pretty easy to build and really really cheap. I did the SS braided hose, because I heard the PVC or copper tubbin might be trickier to clean.

The rest of my equipment was donated by my mom and aunt. Who used to do catering and have a numerous quantity of pots and also had the burner and all. I just grabbed me a 10GL Pot one of the new ones, and gave it a good use along with the burner.

For fermenter I still ave the DYI KIT fermenter from coopers, but just recently got me a second fermenter, a hard plastic carboy a friend got me from the factory. Here in Venezuela, some plastic carboys are really hard and seem durable, so I decided to try this.

Great iniciative on your part Dylan!. AG can be exhausting if you brew by urself. But takes your mind off for a while, you do some exercise. And results are amazing in my newbie opinion.

Happy brewing all! [happy]

Thanks for all of your tips everyone.

I've decided that I will go for a bigger esky... I will get one of the 48L 'Outermark' eskies ($94 from Bunnings).

I've managed to source a keg, so soon it's going to be keggle time.

The next question I have relates to my burner. I currently have a 2 ring burner with a standard regulator hose. Will this have enough guts to do boils for single batches? Do I need a better burner, or a medium pressure regulator, or should it be ok?

Cheers all.

-Dyl

I got my esky from the recycle centre for $5, just needed a clean.

In my opinion a 2 ring wont cut it, but when you get your kettle made, fill it with 30L of water and test it before trying with wort, I think you will be looking to upgrade it though.

Put a bit of thought into how it is to be cleaned.. Ive made mine to be CIP and it really takes alot of the work out of it.

To CIP, I change the hosees from the MT to the tap and return barb on the HEX, add some Sodium Perc to the HEX and recirc it through the lines, in essence, it becomes a self cleaning recirculated HEX unit, recirc for 20 mins, rinse, pack up and put the hoses away.

[bandit]

What clutter? [lol]

Archived