Coopers Community

Alternative to carbonation drops

BrewingBenny

ME AGAIN, I have been using the carb drops and found that i'm just not getting the carbonation I want. I like a fizzy beer and it's just not happening. My bottles are in a cupboard with a heat mate at about 20 degrees for 3-4 weeks and they just dont bubble for long. A mate uses sugar and has AWESOME results. Any ideas without bulk priming the way to go for the extra fizz without the explosion. Cheers.[crying]

I've never bulk primed so i cant make a comment on that. I've used one of these Sugar Scoop which work great.

May dad gave me this old school priming kit where you measure out maybe 2 cups of sugar and mix with a certain amount of hot water then & comes with a special scoop to put it into the bottles. its the best form of priming ive used.

Oh and heaps cheaper than carb drops.

Well I guess the only other method really is measuring out sugar/dextrose for each individual bottle. It'll be a pain in the arse but it might get you the carb levels you're after. It's also cheaper. Most times you'll buy a pack of carb drops for 3 or 4 bucks and it'll do one batch. I bulk prime myself because I can, it costs me 3 bucks for a kilo of dex that lasts about 6 or 7 batches, (it would be the same as measuring each bottle's amount) so you can see the difference.

I guess it depends on what you consider "better results". For me, I like a little less carbonation than what the drops produce. So I bulk prime with dex. It's faster, cheaper and you get a more even level across the batch, plus you can adjust the level to your liking. It's definitely the way to go, if you have the means to of course. You can't change anything with drops really except halving the rate. The other thing regarding the original post could be that if using PETs perhaps the lids aren't sealing as well as they should and some gas is escaping. Usually 2 drops in 750 mL is plenty.

Love your replies Muddy ...LOL[lol]

Should have said a heat mat, not mate

The beer that i'm tasting that is not quite carbonated to my liking was bottled mmmmaaahhhhooohhhhhhh3 1/2 weeksagommmmmaaaaaahhhhhhooohhhhh

Yeah I know PATIENCE seems to be the consensus doesn't it. [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent]

My first tip would be to never, ever put you beer on a heat mat. Same goes for your fermentor. To much stress for your yeast.

I would definitely say that your lack of fizz has nothing to do with the carbonation drops as you say you are using them at the prescribed rate. Maybe you are cooking your yeast to death with your heat mat [rightful]

How cold is it in Victoria at the moment? In Sydney it is warm enough just to keep my beer in the kitchen for a week or 2 to carb up.....and that is in a cold apartment that doesn't get any winter sun.

It's cold where I am in regional Vic, the heat mat is on its side in the cupboard the beer is not on top of it, I have a thermometer in the cupboard and I make sure I keep it between 18-22 at the warmest. Investing in a thermostat next week for this reason.

sorry, cant help it... carbing warm is of great detriment to long term flavour stability. for every 10'c from carbing onward and upward will half the time that flavour is optimum..

You may want to rush things and 'get it ready to go' but all you are really doing is robbing yourself of the potential of your beer.

It took a long time till I was able to get every beer to at least 3 months old, but hot damn it's a goal that every homebrewer should aim for IMO (bottles not kegs clearly)

[crying] patience is one of the best but hardest breing skill to master

The cold weather is the reason my batches of American pale ale haven't carbed properly yet, or at least hadn't the last time I tried one. They've probably been in the bottle for a month and a half to two months now. I put one in the fridge earlier to try tomorrow so will see how it's progressing.

But what do you do in summer? Not all of us have access to kickarse temp controlled brew fridges and stuff. Basically once it's in the bottles it's left wherever I have space and is at the mercy of the weather itself. Mind you I've never had one taste crappy because it carbed warm.

The cold weather is the reason my batches of American pale ale haven't carbed properly yet

dont you live in bloody Queensland? If I can get bottles in my cellar in Victoria to carb in one month (carbed not conditioned) then something is amis my friend.. [lol]

None of my bottles are temp controlled.. only my fermenters [cool]

Yob

Yeah, it sounds odd, but through winter the overnight temp is often in single figures and in the garage/laundry where they're stored even though it might get up to 20 odd outside during the day it doesn't warm up much inside where they are so they just kinda stay cold for 3 months [lol] It has started warming up a bit now, I think we've seen the last of those cooler nights. I do have temp control for my fermenter, I've got a heat belt thing and in summer I just use a wet towel and stick it in a saucer. But I like lagers and ales so I can just brew lagers in winter and I don't really need any temp control on them at all for the reasons above[joyful]

Yeah' date=' it sounds odd, but through winter the overnight temp is often in single figures and in the garage/laundry where they're stored[/quote']

This is why I prescribe keeping them in the living area for the first week or 2. If it is warm enough for living it is warm enough for carbonation to occur. You can squirrel them away in cupboards and every nook and cranny you can find. Then after a couple of weeks shift them somewhere else for long term storage.

but hot damn it's a goal that every homebrewer should aim for IMO

Special mention to Yob for using the term "Hot damn". I now have a mental image of you guarding your brewery in your overalls, holding a pitchfork and belting out a tune on your empty moonshine bottle. Yeeeeehah!!!!!!!!!!!

I would, but I'm still at home and I don't think my parents would like 4 or 5 cartons of beer sitting around in the living area [lol] However, I've learnt from my m\u0336i\u0336s\u0336t\u0336a\u0336k\u0336e experience, and decided next winter once it starts to get to those sorta temps to just brew lagers. I'm about to bottle my second lager now, then I'm putting on the toucan stout recipe, looking forward to that one! [biggrin]

EDIT: Regarding that toucan stout, how do you get an accurate OG if you only fill the fermenter to 15-18 litres before pitching the yeast and then topping up later on?

Regarding that toucan stout' date=' how do you get an accurate OG if you only fill the fermenter to 15-18 litres before pitching the yeast and then topping up later on? [/quote']

You don't - I guess it could be worked out by someone with a better mathematatical mind than myself. Personally I never take OG readings.

Regarding that toucan stout' date=' how do you get an accurate OG if you only fill the fermenter to 15-18 litres before pitching the yeast and then topping up later on? [/quote']

try Ianh's spreadsheet, that should get you close..

Muddy, can I have your Hydrometers then? [lol]

dont you live in bloody Queensland? If I can get bottles in my cellar in Victoria to carb in one month (carbed not conditioned) then something is amis my friend.. [lol]

None of my bottles are temp controlled.. only my fermenters [cool]

Yob

+1 again Yob

My bottles carb in a cupboard in my spare (read Brew) room. This is Tasmania and the temp in this cupboard varies between 14'C and 15'C during winter. I have not had any trouble carbing at these temperatures, it just takes a while longer but like Yob I am aiming at 3 months bottled before I make a habit of drinking a batch. I bottled my Hop Gobbler during the first week of June and when sampled a month later it had carbed up, and an Extra Special Bitter carbed with drops in the middle of May was over-carbed when sampled in July.

I do have my FV sitting on a heat mat (and my mini ferment last week), with temp controlled initially at 17'C, I am now slightly worried by Muddy's comment but alas if I didn't use it then I couldn't brew from May through to November. It does appear to be a gentle heat.

BTW Now I mostly carb with castor sugar as it offers more flexibility. It maybe a PITA but when I keg I am only bottling 4 x 750s or 8 x 375s.

Somehow I missed those replies yesterday[pinched]

Anyway yeah, I'm able to leave mine for about 3 months now that I've caught up with all my empty bottles, which is great, I actually tried one of those hardly carbed ones on the weekend and it was still hardly carbed, but it will have at least another month before I get to drinking it properly.

Regarding the stout, I put the ingredients into the spreadsheet, it came out with 1061 OG. When I mixed it up I just thought to hell with it and filled it up to 23L, I have a 30 odd litre fermenter. Checked the OG and it was somewhere between 1061 and 1062. Have also noted that even though it's a volcano, it's barely even touched the lid, so I don't think there's much risk of it escaping out of the FV[biggrin]

Archived