Coopers Community

chilli beer can you help ???

JUDDEYE

Gday Coopers Clan ,

I would very much like any input from people who have tried brewing with chillies.I have an abundent supply of fresh chillies but dont know how much to add to a 22lt brew.Also do you add them whole or chopped up and when do you add them ( at the start of fermentation or when bottling ).

Any recipees would also be appreciated ,

Justin ( c38842 )

The first advice I have is to not add an entire birdseye chilli to each stubby.

Adding to the bottle, the chilli flavour will get stronger and stronger over time. I think it's better off going in the fermenter. If you chop it up, don't chop it up too much otherwise it will also get too hot.

I don't know exactly how much to add, though. I expect it depends on hot how your chillies are. If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

I asked my friend who has done the chilli beer before.. and he said this.

"Get a small chilli and cut it into quarters. Cook it in the microwave for 15 seconds to kill any bacteria. Then put a quarter in each beer when you bottle your brew."

I asked..

"Does the chilli replace the priming sugar? or go in the bottle with the sugar?"

he said

"It goes in with the sugar. That's why you microwave it, so the bacteria doesn't have any effect on the fermenting."

I might try putting some chillis into a few bottles of my next brew. I think if you don't want it to be so hot you may want to remove the chilli seeds.

Mate made a great chilli beer a while back. Recall he whacked 8-10 chillis (not quite as hot as birds eyes) into the wort for the fermentation, sliced almost in half. but not de-seeded. Was a tad hot for most but hell, what a buzz! After tasting some chocolate chilli at the recent chilli festival in VIC, i was thinking about a chilli chocolate beer but i have always failed in my attempts at chocolate beer. Tried topping, milo, cocoa etc but cant seem to get it too taste right. Mite have to have one last try and make a chilli, chocolate, dark ale (which always tastes better with a few spoonfuls of golden syrup added to the wort). But i digress....

Good luck with the chilli beer!

• 2 months later...
Gday Coopers Clan ,

I would very much like any input from people who have tried brewing with chillies.I have an abundent supply of fresh chillies but dont know how much to add to a 22lt brew.Also do you add them whole or chopped up and when do you add them ( at the start of fermentation or when bottling ).

Any recipees would also be appreciated ,

Justin ( c38842 )

chilli beer very refreshing on a hot day. start with fairly light tasting kit say coopers lager or draught. aim for low alchohol say 500g sugar, toss min 2 or max 4 jalapenos into fermenter right at the start. chilli zing is a nice background sensation but easily overdone.

hope this helps

kip

Gday,

I tried a chilli beer years back, just whacked in about 10 diced chillies small common or garden variety. At the beginning, into a real ale, all else the same.

Interesting flavour. But wierd. Cold beer and hot taste. Sort of disturbing actually. Overall not an improvement :-)

Go for it, but keep the chilli numbers low. Id say try 5 or 6 small buggers.

Now, strawberry tea (extracted from commercial teabags) into a lager, THAT's supurb!

Mmmmmm....... Chilli, my second favourite food group behind beer! My plan of attack would be to start with a lightly hopped beer kit such as Australian or Bavarian Lager. The warmth from chilli really lends itself to both summer and winter beer styles, so load up on the malt for a cockle-warming winter brew, or lighten the body with dextrose for a refreshing summer beer. (Remember to use at least 250g of dextrose if brewing with our ale yeast \x96 Australian Lager.)

The number of chillies you use will depend on personal taste and more importantly how hot the chillies are. (The Scoville scale is used to rate chillies according to the amount of capsaicin they contain but it\x92s a little too involved to go into here). How you treat the chillies will also depend on taste and Scoville. If you want a mild chilli flavour, deseed them first then boil or steep your chillies in near boiling water for five minutes. Add the chillies and the water your steeped/boiled them in to the wort and make the wort up as usual. Taste the wort once it has been made up. This will give you an idea of what to expect in the final beer, although they will continue to impart heat as fermentation progresses. If you think it\x92s not going to be hot enough, add some more chillies.

The same goes at bottling time or at any stage during fermentation, always taste the gravity samples. The chillies that you fermented with probably won\x92t end up in the bottles but you can add chillies to the bottles if you want to. Cut back on the priming sugar by 1/3 because they do contain some fermentable sugar, unless they are really small, in which case just prime as usual. Once again, treat the chillies according to taste: seeded, deseeded etc. but remember to steep/ boil them first before adding them to the bottles.

Cheers, Frank.

• 3 weeks later...

:D

I found that by adding to the wort if you got it wrong and it was to hot for yourself it was a waste of a brew, except for the odd come in sucker drink.

So for several brews I put down until I was happy with the taste

I used to put a different size piece in a few bottles before capping and made a note and a mark on the lid and that way I was able to work out what heat/taste was ok to me. Then I make a full brew later.

Cheers Chilli lovers

• 5 years later...

Has any one out there made a chilli Beer that tasted ok?

I have been doing some research and there seams to be a few ways to go about it.

One of the ways I read was to put the chilli in when bottling, has any one done this? If so how much chilli, Whole or sliced?

Cheers in advance for any feed back.

I have only ever done kit beers with the Brew enhancers to date.

Chilli plays a major part in my diet but I am yet to put any in my beer. I have tasted commercial chilli beers and wasn't overly impressed and as much as I love chilli [love] I am a bit skeptical of putting it in beer. I am however considering adding a bit to my next ginger beer.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm actually quite keen to see what feedback you get. I might be convinced to try it at some time - at least it would help me get through my copious chilli crops

Has any one out there made a chilli Beer that tasted ok?

I have been doing some research and there seams to be a few ways to go about it.

One of the ways I read was to put the chilli in when bottling, has any one done this? If so how much chilli, Whole or sliced?

Cheers in advance for any feed back.

I have only ever done kit beers with the Brew enhancers to date.

Yep! Did it last summer with a Mexican Cerveza. Just steeped some whole birds eye chillis in a little boiling water for a few minutes, then popped 1 into each of 6 longies, just to test (didn't want to stuff the whole brew). Turned out great! Not popular with everyone, but good for a laugh if you don't tell them! [devil] Great for a BBQ. Will get hotter with age, so drink quickly. [biggrin]

Archived