Coopers Community

Where's the Bubbles

BrewingBenny

How long would one expect it to take before a bottled brew should show evidence that carbonation has occurred. I used Coopers carb drops, 1 in stubby, 2 in long necks. Checked a stubbie today which I know is early at day 4 in the bottle and there was not alot. I would assume though that this is completely normal so early. Just after an idea as i'm as green at brewing as my brew in the bottles. Cheers all. [happy].

Depending on the temps you store them at you will probably find:

1 week - some carbonation that dissipates quickly. Still fairly flat.

2 weeks - should be carbonated but you may find that the head goes away fairly quickly.

3-4 weeks - should be fully carbonated and good to go (provided you haven't drank them all by then).

If the bottles are kept in a cool place then it may take longer than usual to carbonate.

Agree with above. Its all about temperature and time. If you have it stored at 20C it will take 2 weeks and your beer will be carbonated (but would prefer longer in the bottle).

I find 2 weeks a good time to try my beers as it shows me how they are progressing in the bottle. Even beers that I age for a long time i try every now and then to see how they are going.

all mine get stored in the basement which is about 12'c at the moment(max)... and indeed probably doesnt go above 14 in summer..

as I dont generally get to them for a few months they are always well carbed up even after cold conditioning.

Remember that you (without filtering) will never remove all the yeast and they will get to the priming sugars no matter what you do (within reason). 12'c for US-05 (mostly what I use) is quite cold and shows that there is a variety of yeast in the bottles ranging from highly flocculent to very low flocculent types and are active at a range of temperatures well outside the manuf. specs, all be it working much more slowly.

One of the hardest things to learn is to Have Patience.

Yob

Yep, patience is the key. That's why I've got so many batches in various states of readiness. Lets me leave newer batches alone a bit longer (although it's still tempting to prematurely open one sometimes).

How can I achieve better head retention on my brews? I'm fairly new at the game but have managed to produce 1 ordinary brew and 2 fantastic tasting brews using the Coopers European Lager and following the instructions to the letter. After 12 weeks storage in the bottles my beer tastes great with a robust full flavour, great aroma and a smooth clean finish, it is fully carbonated and produces a nice head when poured however the head disappears very quickly. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

How can I achieve better head retention on my brews? I'm fairly new at the game but have managed to produce 1 ordinary brew and 2 fantastic tasting brews using the Coopers European Lager and following the instructions to the letter. After 12 weeks storage in the bottles my beer tastes great with a robust full flavour' date=' great aroma and a smooth clean finish, it is fully carbonated and produces a nice head when poured however the head disappears very quickly. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?[/quote']

What was the recipe for the European Lager?

You could always try adding some Carapils to the lager to help with head retention. It is a specialty grain that you will need to steep.

Carapils Grain

I find that brews with more malt than dextrose tend to maintain a better head. Adding some wheat malt and other specialty grains to ales can help too.

How can I achieve better head retention on my brews? I'm fairly new at the game but have managed to produce 1 ordinary brew and 2 fantastic tasting brews using the Coopers European Lager and following the instructions to the letter. After 12 weeks storage in the bottles my beer tastes great with a robust full flavour' date=' great aroma and a smooth clean finish, it is fully carbonated and produces a nice head when poured however the head disappears very quickly. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?[/quote']

What was the recipe for the European Lager?

You could always try adding some Carapils to the lager to help with head retention. It is a specialty grain that you will need to steep.

Carapils Grain

I find that brews with more malt than dextrose tend to maintain a better head. Adding some wheat malt and other specialty grains to ales can help too.

What Hairy said, (always adds to your beer regardless) plus - check your glass! Detergent will kill off head. Try a clear plastic cup, like what you get at the footy/cricket, straight out of the packet. This will tell you if it's your beer or your glass.

I clean my glasses with a quick spray of brewcleen. Let it soak on the glass for 2 minutes then rinse thoroughly under hot tap water. My beer bubbles and retains the perfect head this way and its all stuff that I have for my brewing process anyways. [happy]

It may not be the actual glass as a whole, but if the glass has been washed with detergent, then it's simply the glass as a major contributing factor. This is well documented that detergent builds up on glasses thus affecting the retention of a good head on the beer. Though if the beers a dud then that doesn't help of course

My beer glasses get done in the kitchen sink with very hot water and normal dish washing liquid, they are the first things washed, all glassware should be anyway (Yr7 Home Economics 1983 lol) they are scrubbed with our baby bottle washing brush. And rinsed well immediately and thoroughly while the water is still hot in the taplines, then air dried upside on a rack. Simple , easy , never had a problem. Soap (or equiv.) should be used to help get rid greasy mouth and finger prints especially if you like your munchies while drinking like I do. [happy]

There are a few things you can do,

1: reduce dextrose additions to 300g max

2: eliminate dex and go all malt (better flavour too)

3: additions of (as suggested) grains like carapils, my favorite method was dry wheat malt though.. 200g per brew (and carapils for me) does wonders for quality of the head amd retention..

I too struggled to get great head for ages... And now im married so all is sweet[lol]

Or simply bypass the glass altogether and swig from the bottle [lol]

Guaranteed, if you do this your Beer will taste different [rightful] . This is the preferred method for those who are not concerned with taste and appearance, the mega-swillers [bandit] . I can actually drink VB straight from a stubbie, pour it into a glass and try to savour the beer and [sick].

I realise ofcourse that Benny is only joking [biggrin]

+1 to Gav,

My beer glasses get done in the kitchen sink with very hot water and normal dish washing liquid, they are the first things washed, all glassware should be anyway (Yr7 Home Economics 1983 lol) they are scrubbed with our baby bottle washing brush. And rinsed well immediately and thoroughly while the water is still hot in the taplines, then air dried upside on a rack. Simple , easy , never had a problem. Soap (or equiv.) should be used to help get rid greasy mouth and finger prints especially if you like your munchies while drinking like I do.

and

and do it yourself, never trust the wife\\husband too...

Here's another method, did you all see this episode of Home Brew Wednesday? bit too much work for me!

Here's another method' date=' did you all see this episode of Home Brew Wednesday? bit too much work for me![/quote']

Christ! A 13 minute video on washing a glass - I really can't be bothered. Craig seems a nice enough fella but his videos have always annoyed me [pinched]

Archived