Coopers Community

Stout with Malt

Mainiac

Sorry Dennis, I'm a bit confused with what you actually bought.

Are you saying that you have the Coopers Stout can and a can of liquid dark malt?

If so, they will be fine together.

The kits normally come with one can stout and the bag of

"corn sugar" as the fermentable.

I am going to substitute thee corn sugar with the can of dark malt

I have not made stout before and I did not want to screw it up

frosty-the-snowtroll.gif

The toucan is always a winner too and is such a simple recipe if you like stout....

1 can Stout

1 Can Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose/Corn Sugar

It needs some time in the bottle but is a nice drop.

I am new to this so please ignore noobiness

When you say the dextrose

Are you just buying dextrose from a local store or do you buy

the coppers?

Correct me if I am wrong but, I don't believe Coopers sell straight Dextrose.

Just buy it from the store. I think in the US they call it Corn Sugar. BUT, where's the corn? [innocent]

Yes, Big W here does stock Dextrose, LDM and BE1 and 2, carbonation drops, PET bottles, and all the OS and IS cans. So for basic brews I can get by solely with a visit to Big W.

But LDM (cheaper than Big W because you can buy by the kg), the TC cans and hops, yeasts, grains etc I go to my LHBS.

But I imagine US brewers can order direct from the coopers site? Not sure what postage/freight would be though.

White table sugar is a replacement for dextrose (probably the same thing not sure). They both ferment out completely to add more alcohol to your brew without adding body (in reality you will loose some body with dextrose).

I normally use Light Dry Malt with the exception of the ESVA recipe (in the recipe section) and the two can stout which Bill posted above. I think the only time I would use dextrose is if the malt bill is already fairly high and I just want to add a little more alcohol.

IMO and most people here (if not all) using malt instead of dextrose will improve your beer kits. I have quite successfully brewed a brew with a can of goop and 1kg of malt. Not so much with a can of goop and 1kg of dextrose.

In saying that I do believe that dextrose does have its place as long as there is already a good malt base.

Malt will also add more residual sweetness then dextrose as dextrose is fully fermentable and malt isn't.

White table sugar is a replacement for dextrose (probably the same thing not sure). They both ferment out completely to add more alcohol to your brew without adding body (in reality you will loose some body with dextrose).

Dextrose is Glucose, a simple sugar or Monosaccharide, White Sugar is a Disaccharide, or complex sugar, formed from Glucose and Fuctose.

The reason Americans call dextrose corn sugar is that it's made from corn there, not sugar cane.

Common white sugar is sucrose, and is a disaccharide. It can be inverted into glucose and fructose (its constituent monosaccharides), and this is also the first step in how it is metabolised by animals, yeast and i think some bacteria.

Dextrose as stated is only glucose.

Apparently yeast first converts sucrose into glucose and fructose, before the oxygen is stripped from it leaving and CO2 and ethanol.

The down side is that more unwanted byproducts are produced (e.g. fusel oils) when yeast metabolises white sugar compared with dextrose.

Hmmm, I think that's right

• 2 months later...

Archived