Coopers Community

All Malt Brewing Question...

Chimps

Hi all,

I usually make my Pale Ales and Stouts with BE2 (which contains Dextrose), the commercially available beer that I like are all malt - will I get nicer results using LDM only? Say, 2 x 500gm boxes with an Australian Pale Ale can?

I do like what I brew with BE2 don't get me wrong, but I'm a malt junkie! [love]

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance!

+1 Muddy +1 Gavin I concur forget Brew Enhancers they don't really do the beers any justice I make my brews with malt and no more than 300g Dextrose I made a pale ale reciently and it tasted very close to little creatures pale ale was mighty impressed used cascade hops in it. But adding only malt and hops makes the kits 10 fold better

+2

I made a Real Ale with BE2, it's ok but nothing special, got a strange flavour too. I'm gonna make it again with just malt and see the difference. All my other brews I have only added malt/crystal to, and some hops too. They have all turned out quite nicely. [biggrin]

I find the BE's make an alright beer but adding malt instead of BE makes an outstanding beer the BE's are good for beginners IMO once they get the hang of the brewing process then they can start to branch out to malts and hops then they will never look back much like myself now days i have the confidence to throw things together and know I will make an ok to really nice beer

BE's are good for beginners

It is just as easy to add a box of dry malt to the FV as a box of BE.

They should introduce a Brew Enhancer 3 which is 1kg LDM. At least then it would be an enhancer.

They should introduce a Brew Enhancer 3 which is 1kg LDM. At least then it would be an enhancer.

You know that isn't going to happen, they already sell 500g LDM for $6.90. People wouldn't buy it at 1kg for $13.80, but then again, I guess they already are [pinched]

I'd opt for a BE3 consisting of 70% LDM & 30% Dextrose. That would get them a lot more buyers I reckon. Not only that but the potential of returning customers.

If I get stuck without crystal, which seems to be happening a lot lately.... I don't mind using a BE2 + 500g Malt , just to add that little bit of Maltodextrine to the brew..

Hopefully my long awaited visit to LHBS will happen tomorrow... Sick of using the 500g packs of Malt, 5kg LDME pack here I come....

+ grains... 1kg of Crystal, 1kg of Chocolate Malt and a few kg of Pale Malt. and some Amber [biggrin]

You know that isn't going to happen, they already sell 500g LDM for $6.90. People wouldn't buy it at 1kg for $13.80, but then again, I guess they already are [pinched]

I'd opt for a BE3 consisting of 70% LDM & 30% Dextrose. That would get them a lot more buyers I reckon. Not only that but the potential of returning customers.

Ouch. I picked up 4kg for $36 the other day.

Damien was 4kg not 5kg Gavin. Albeit, only 20 cents difference.

Here I was thinking that where I get mine is expensive...

I can get it for $7.50kg = $37.50 for 5kg or when I buy it I usually go halves with someone for 20kg @ $6.25kg.

BE's are good for beginners

It is just as easy to add a box of dry malt to the FV as a box of BE.

Just some newer brewers seem to be put off by straying away from the instructed recipe's once you start making your own mind up for ingredients and trying you soon learn how to make an outstanding beer that is for sure

My comment wasn't really directed at you Wayne; it was just a general observation.

I can't see any reason why the 'recommended recipe' couldn't be mainly malt and the DIY starter kit could include a box of Bill's Brew Enhancer 3.20.

Thanks heaps fellas,

I reckon I'll try Gavin's idea here:

If I get stuck without crystal, which seems to be happening a lot lately.... I don't mind using a BE2 + 500g Malt , just to add that little bit of Maltodextrine to the brew..

It'll be a more expensive brew than what I've been used to (I've been brewing since 1992 - part of the appeal is telling friends a whole batch cost me $15 bucks), maybe I should spend a little extra next time - I do love malt!

One last thing - Has anyone had any great success with the Euro lager can? I made 6 batches last winter with BE2(green neck recipe), fermenting at 15 deg in the cellar (real constant temp) but I enjoy the OS Lager so much more...?

Cheers

To be honest, I don't like the Euro but I like it better than the Lager. Both of which I won't be buying again. However, that is my personal choice.

$15 a brew (2 cartons)... it is well worth spending another $5-$6 or so for some hops and maybe some crystal imo. For the few extra dollars and very little time difference you will improve your beer 10 fold whilst remaining a cheap brew.

A friend of mine used to only brew kits with 500g Dex and 500g LDM and it took me a long time to convince him just to dry hop a bit. Once I did he does it with all his brews now. However, I am yet to convince him to try hops other than Cascade. He loves Cascade and reckons he is on a winning wicket. I told him I'd give him some grain to steep to give another dimension but he is yet to take that step. Conservative stubborn buggar he is!!... if only he will take that next step he would realise how great it would be for such minimal effort.

where in Melb Damien? pretty sure 5kg is $46 where i go' date=' gone up :([/quote']

Greensborough Homebrew. You can also get 20 kg for $150 if you have room for it. As a student I can't really afford to spend all that at once though, even though it saves money in the long run.

Agreed, but maybe 80/20. That'd be the same ratio as 1kg LDM and 260g Dex.

It would probably be best to have 1kg LDM and a bag of dex in the starter kit though, as it would also get people used to using LDM from the beginning, removing any fear of moving away from brew enhancers and getting better results from the very first brew (instant education and brand loyalty).

I'd even go so far as to include one of those hop teabags things or a 'hop-sampler' (30g or so of pellets) to get people into it from the beginning.

Once you take out the price of the brew enhancer supplied, the LDM would not make much of a difference in the price.

I'm sure hop suppliers would jump at the chance to get samples out to newbies with an advertising flyer.

But that's just me rambling on...

I just think that if an awesome brew is made day-one it would pay off in spades through reviews and word of mouth from lots of happy new brewers.

(The brewing instructions would need a total revamp, but I think that's needed anyway)

Archived