Coopers Community

Mexican cerveza

Hey Wayne....I put down a Mexican Cerveza a while back and just used BE2...cant really comment on using any other sugars as I've only put down this one cerveza brew....I must say its not too bad though.

Not really helping with your question really eh?

Hey Wayne....I put down a Mexican Cerveza a while back and just used BE2...cant really comment on using any other sugars as I've only put down this one cerveza brew....I must say its not too bad though.

Nah it is helping with my question adding some hops to it might be a good idea just bought the second to last can at k-mart seems they aren't selling the coopers range anymore :( however i ordered a f$$kload of hops online heaps cheaper than my local home brew store so i will experiment amarillo is one that is coming cheers for the feedback

Hob' date=' I did my last cerveza with some ldme and be1. Add some amaarllo hops.. SWMBO loves it! Search recipe resource for my rcipe[/quote']

I will see if i can find it :)

I just bottled my Cerveza with the kit and 1kg of dextrose. It smells very nice and can't wait to have a go at one.

Nah it is helping with my question adding some hops to it might be a good idea just bought the second to last can at k-mart seems they aren't selling the coopers range anymore :( however i ordered a f$$kload of hops online heaps cheaper than my local home brew store so i will experiment amarillo is one that is coming cheers for the feedback

I get the feeling Kmart adjust their coopers products seasonally.

I have noticed a very limited range during winter/autumn and then in Summer they seem to bump it up quite a bit. I have noticed this 2 years straight now.

I too have done the basic Cerveza kit plus BE2. Its in the fermenter now and I will bottle Wednesday.

Pitched at about 26C. OG read only 1.038 which I thought was a bit low. Fermenting at 18 C and has settled at 1.012 and doesnt want to go any lower.

Strong rotten egg smell in first few days and still a bit whiffy now but doesnt taste off. I presume this is due to the Ale/Lager hybrid yeast used in the kit ?

Reasonably clear, quite sweet and pretty thin/bland.

I think it will be ok after a few weeks and will go well with the old lemon or lime wedge accompanied by some Mexican or Sth American food.

I know a lot of people knock the "carona" style, but its OK by me, its just another style, and as long as it brews clean, then all good.

Must admit I'm planning a nice IPA next as a contrast though.

The MC is only my third brew after a Munich lager and a Coopers Aussie Pale ale.

All good so far but going to start adding malts instead of enhancers from now on, and will try the better yeasts and maybe some hop additions after another couple of brews.

Yep I know, but all a matter of the trade off between time/cost/risk etc i.e the supermarket is 10 minutes away, my local HBS about 45 minutes and way dearer and I figure I'm unlikely to screw up a kit and kilo recipe.

Once I have the requisite "stock on hand" then I can go nuts and risk a fail !!

PS sorry if I have hijacked the thread. will report on my Mexican Cerveza in due course.

I made a batch with just 1kg BE2

Its very nice.

Light, fizzy,good head, a bit sweet.

Drinking one now as a matter of fact.

Anyone who's tried a bottle of it likes it [happy]

Lordeoin, what temperature did you ferment at? Starting a batch tomorrow.

I made a batch with just 1kg BE2

Its very nice.

Light, fizzy,good head, a bit sweet.

Drinking one now as a matter of fact.

Anyone who's tried a bottle of it likes it [happy]

I'll second this notion. I've made a batch with the exact same ingredients, and it turned out nicer than I'd thought. An ideal summer beer, that one. [cool] I fermented mine at around 20 degrees.

OK bottled my Cerveza today.

That smell hasnt gone away, kind of off. However the taste does not reflect the aroma at all. fairly thin, bland and a bit sweet but cetainly not offensive and I still reckon she'll drink OK on a hot day with a slice of citrus. Clearest (On bottling day) of the three batches I have done so far. Very pale colour as you'd expect for Cerveza style.

On an even brighter note, I tested a bottle of my APA last night after "nearly" 2 weeks (couldnt wait to do a test !)

Wow... Oh wow ... I was wondering whether I would stick at this lark or would it be a passing fad, but to see the insane head on this beer, and the clarity !!!

drank OK too, maybe a tad sweet which may well mature out but certianly up to any standard pub draft. Mightily impressed and cant wait to start tweaking the kits.

Hopefully the MC turns out just as well. Will keep you informed.

Steve D

0G1.038 - 1kg BE2

packet yeast pitched at 24C

Fermented a bit high at 22C(ish)

day SG temp

1 1038 24 - very sweet

2 1032 22

3 1020 21 - beery

4 1014 22

5 1011 22

6 1010 23

7 1010 24 - raised temp to see if anything more will ferment out

8 1010 24

Tasted very sweet and caramely on bottling.

drinkable at 2 weeks

awesome at 4 weeks

she'll drink OK on a hot day with a slice of citrus

It is fantastic with a thin wedge of lime

As promised, here is a folow up for those interested in the Coopers Cerveza with BE2 brew.

Opened a tester today after just 1 week in bottle.

Bloody terrific.

Still a bit whiffy but the smell has eased considerably since bottling and will no doubt be gone soon. (In fact its pretty much gone after pouring into the glass).

Very clear, colour identical to carona, well carbonated with resonable but short lived head.

Taste, maybe my imagination but I swear it tastes mildly of citrus (I didnt add anything to the brew). Very enjoyable drop and not at all far removed from Carona, maybe a tad sweeter.

Then I added a lime slice to the glass and of course this just made it better. Her indoors will definately like this.

Ok so its not a bitter or a pale ale but it doesnt pretend to be.

Bottom line is this could be served at any summer BBQ and 9 out of 10 wouldnt pick it as anything but a Carona or Sol I am sure.

Will be keen to see how it develops (If it gets that far !)

[pouty] my gravity on day nine is .997' date=' anyone know why this may be the case?[/quote']

Two possible explanations spring to mind: a faulty hydrometer or a gusher infection. According to John Palmer: "Sustained bubbling is often due to "gusher type" infection. These infections can occur at any time and are due to wild yeasts or bacteria that eat the higher order sugars, like dextrins. The result in the fermentor is a beer that keeps bubbling until all of the carbohydrates are fermented, leaving a beer that has no body and very little taste." I hope this is not the case with your brew. [unsure] Do you use an airlock and was it still bubbling?

Archived