Coopers Community

Just got a kit for my birthday...

PatF1

Hey guys! Just got a kit for my birthday...

When I opened the box I saw that yeast was spread around the lid. Should i try to get a pack of yeast at my local store or is the yeast still good to use?

Thanks for the help! Im going to try to start tomorrow after reading posts for a while... Any tips would help

Oh ya I have the lager with brew enhancer 1!

Welcome to the forums mate!

If your yeast packet was split, I personally wouldnt attempt to use it and would source some more.

If your going to a local home brew store for your yeast do yourself a favour and buy 1kg of Dry Malt Extract (DME) and add that and only half of the BE1 it will make a world of difference.

Good luck mate

I am pretty sure Graham meant to add 1kg Light Dry Malt and 500g BE1. BE1 is 60% Dextrose and 40% Maltodextrin, so your recipe will be:

Coopers Lager

1kg LDM

300g Dextrose

200g Maltodextrin

If you are going to the LHBS then you may as well pick up some hops to steep (ie. hop tea) and to dry hop.

Maybe some Cascade pellets as an intro. It will make a world of difference to your beer.

All depends on how malty you like your beer if your not sure then only trial and error will help you discover how u like it. To start with maby add half the LDM and the whole BE1 that will give you just over 5% Alcohol and if not malty enough next time go the whole thing. Good luck and welcome

If you are going to the LHBS then you may as well pick up some hops to steep (ie. hop tea) and to dry hop.

Maybe some Cascade pellets as an intro. It will make a world of difference to your beer.

I was trying to break him in gently, but yeh Hairy is spot on [cool]

Hmmm... Im not too into super bitter beer. how biter would the beer be with 1kg of LDM?

I think I might start out with half LDM and the whole BE1. That seems like a good enough start for me!

What temperature should I be aiming at keeping??? Also how long should i keep the brew in the FV after stage 1???

Bitterness in beer is derived from boiling hops for a period of time.

Adding more LDM will have the opposite effect on bitterness. LDM isn't fully fermentable and leaves some residual sweetness. This would counter the bitterness and give the 'perception' of a less bitter beer.

Personally I would go with more LDM than BE1. BE1 contains dextrose and adding too much dextrose leads to a cidery beer with little body. But the only way to determine what you prefer is to try it.

Try to keep the temps between 18-20 degrees. The very low 20's is OK if that is all you can manage. Just try to avoid the high 20's.

Leave the brew in the FV for two weeks before bottling. This will allow it to ferment out, clear up and clean up. But remember to check the FG with your hydrometer.

Good luck with it!

Hmmm... Im not too into super bitter beer. how biter would the beer be with 1kg of LDM?

I think I might start out with half LDM and the whole BE1. That seems like a good enough start for me!

What temperature should I be aiming at keeping??? Also how long should i keep the brew in the FV after stage 1???

The LDM won't affect the bitterness at all, as it contains no bittering hops. If anything, the added maltiness will slightly counteract the bitterness of the kit.

As for the temperature, 18-20 degrees would be ideal. Not that it would ruin the beer to go a little higher, but you'd do well to try to make sure the temperature doesn't get too much above 20. I usually keep my brew in the FV for approximately two weeks and bottle it when it looks like it's starting to fall clear.

Edit: Dammit, Hairy beat me to it!

If you've not used LDM before (correct me if I've assumed wrongly) it can be a bit tricky. After trying a few different ways, I still reckon the Coopers suggestion works best for me. Pour it into the FV before anything else, dump a couple litres of hot water in and swirl until it dissolves - no spoons till it's dissolved or it'll clump like hell.

Others may have a different/better way, but that's how I do it unless I'm doing a boil of some kind.

Good luck, and happy B'day [biggrin]

Ahhh ok!!! So maybe I would want to do the whole 1kg of LDM.

One last newby question...

On what day should I start to check for final gravity? Do I leave the brew in the FV for two weeks and then check the FG or get the FG first and then leave it for 2 weeks? Thanks

Pat - I'd leave it 5-7 days and then check it and then leave it a couple of days and test it again. Make sure to taste your samples to get a feel for how the taste develops.

2 weeks total time is a good rule of thumb - it starts from when you pitch your yeast.

Welcome to the wonderful world of brewing [biggrin]

good on ya Pat' date=' what was the final recipe?[/quote']

I ended up doing:

1kg DME

300g Dextrose

200g Maltodextrin

lager mix

Current temperature is 18... it has settled off between 18-20 so im feeling good about that! My OG was 1039... I hope that is in the right spot!

sounds perfect, now wait [biggrin]

or don't wait, and harass it daily with the barometer/hydrometer/parkingmeter like I do.

it gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside, knowing that your beloved yeast is having a picnic, and tasting how it changes from day to day, frommalty warm water to bEEEEr. [biggrin]

Firstly Happy Birthday, secondly Kudos to whomever gave you that birthday present. Best present ever!.

I got an second fermenter for my birthday last year, and then I was given a third by a friend 2 months ago I have retired my first fermenter which was 2nd hand will only use it for making Ginger beer and cider.

Stay with this forum as it's member will give you the advice to make great beer, I've been brewing for just over a year (54 weeks this Friday), and will be pitching my 51st batch this Saturday

Archived