Coopers Community

English Bitter

Otto Von Blotto

Hi everyone.

First time using the English Bitter kit, it's only been in bottles 8 days, I usually try my brews after a week, figure if they taste reasonable then, they should be excellent after conditioning for longer. I used the kit with 500g of LDM, also boiled 15g Goldings for 20 mins.

Despite it only being 8 days, it's tasting pretty good. Pretty much as the description of the brew can says. Noticed a bit of a toffee aftertaste which I don't mind either. I reckon it'll be a cracker after it's been stored for a while longer! Will definitely be using this kit a fair bit as a base for future brews[biggrin]

Hope this photo works..

425588_3513992537103_1490622616_33252915_2081617157_n.jpg

Cheers,

Kelsey

Your bitter looks great. That was my first brew. I'm going to have to make another one and add some hops like you did. I've kind of gotten hung up making IPA's. Just keep adding malt and hops and getting them better and better.[biggrin]

Thanks Cliff! Yeah, I had some hops left over from a previous brew so I thought what the hell, might as well add some. [lol] I've got a few recipes saved based on the EB kit which I'm gonna try as my next few brews. One includes steeping crystal malt which I haven't tried yet so looking forward to that one. After those I might give an IPA a whirl, it's certainly on the to do list!

I'm also planning a couple of European Lagers to brew over winter which is coming up, as it'll be easier to keep the temp down to where it should be for a lager during winter. The past 3 brews I've done are ales, I've managed to keep the temp to around 22/23C by wrapping a towel around the FV and tipping cold water over it. It sits in a saucer to hold the water which the towel also sits in. Ideally I'd like it lower but you've gotta make do with what you've got! Still turns out nice beer though. [love]

Cheers,

Kelsey

Nice one, Kels.[cool]

I think the E. Bitter kit is a great base Bitters, Porters even Stouts and although I haven't tried one yet an English IPA would go down nice with some Crystal and some more hops!

Edit: Go with the OS Real Ale kit if you are looking to make an American IPA[smile]

I LOVE this kit. Every one I've done has been consistently awesome, but most people I know have never tried brewing it. I Make one every second brew and try something a little paler every other.

The molases makes the house smell freakin beautiful! My wife hates beer, but she always seems to find herslef in the kitchen inhaling deeply when I'm putting on a bitter. Suspicious huh?

English bitter drew me in from the first taste, I thought I had heaps of it sitting around but I was upset to find when I drank my last bottle, that it was my last bottle of it. I plan on making more as it is one of my favorites, I'll be bottling my second batch of Extra Smooth Bitter, on Friday. I try your recipe next[biggrin]

Hey guys,

This is also my favourite brew of all the batches I've done so far!

Will definately be making another one soon. Its been 2 months in the bottle and its fantastic, and that was just following the SEB recipe on this site.

I will definitely have to try that one Yob, sounds like a good one!

Let us know how it goes Trent! I doubt mine will last 2 months, at the moment I'm just trying to fill these 200 odd empties with brews, it's just taking a while because I keep drinking the already bottled ones [lol] Once I catch up to them they will have longer to condition though.

Archived