Coopers Community

Beer & Gas Lines

Hey guys and gals - just a quick question. There are two different internal dimension (ID) Plassie tubing sold at Kegland, the 4mm and the 5mm ID options for beer and gas lines.

Both have the OD of 8mm.

The 5mm option according to the pitch from kegland is said to be best suited for gas lines. Which tubing is better suited to the beer lines? TIA Tricky.

Of course it would be simpler if I could use 5 mm for both.

Edited by Tricky Micky

29 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Hey guys and gals - just a quick question. There are two different internal dimension (ID) Plassie tubing sold at Kegland, the 4mm and the 5mm ID options for beer and gas lines.

Both have the OD of 8mm.

The 5mm option according to the pitch from kegland is said to be best suited for gas lines. Which tubing is better suited to the beer lines? TIA Tricky.

there really isnt  any beer lines better then others

what you need to think of   is how much beer line will you need  for pouring beer

5mm id you will need longer beer lines
4mm id you wont need as much beer line

what i did when i set up my beerlines  was to start at 3meters of 4mm id   and then work back to shorter lines  if i wasnt happy with the pouring rate.

the gas lines  the id doesnt matter as the regulator will only push the  gas at what you have set at the regulator    and the length of gas line doesnt matter either 

just remember start long  and cut back to desired pour   

its about finding the right balance   ,  its never going to be 100%  as certain beer styles will pour differently to others  

So set up  to your core beers   and you will be happily drinking beer again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

there really isnt  any beer lines better then others

what you need to think of   is how much beer line will you need  for pouring beer

5mm id you will need longer beer lines
4mm id you wont need as much beer line

what i did when i set up my beerlines  was to start at 3meters of 4mm id   and then work back to shorter lines  if i wasnt happy with the pouring rate.

the gas lines  the id doesnt matter as the regulator will only push the  gas at what you have set at the regulator    and the length of gas line doesnt matter either 

just remember start long  and cut back to desired pour   

its about finding the right balance   ,  its never going to be 100%  as certain beer styles will pour differently to others  

So set up  to your core beers   and you will be happily drinking beer again

Thanks Ozzie mate, much appreciated.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Both have the OD of 8mm.

I think, as @ozdevil has already pointed out, that using 4mm EVABarrier will allow you to use shorter length beer lines and get a good pour and that is due to the increased resistance in the smaller diameter tubing. If the length of the lines is no problem then you could use 5mm EVABarrier for both gas and beer lines but it means you will need much longer beer lines. The OD of the EVABarrier of both the 4mm and 5mm is the same and so uses the same Duotight fittings. If you decide to use barbed fittings, which are much better at sealing and more robust than Duotight fittings, then the 4mm EVABarrier is a little more difficult to get the barbed hose tails to fit due to the smaller internal diameter. I use a heat gun to soften the 4mm EVABarrier so that it will fit in the barbed hose tails.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I think, as @ozdevil has already pointed out, that using 4mm EVABarrier will allow you to use shorter length beer lines and get a good pour and that is due to the increased resistance in the smaller diameter tubing. If the length of the lines is no problem then you could use 5mm EVABarrier for both gas and beer lines but it means you will need much longer beer lines. The OD of the EVABarrier of both the 4mm and 5mm is the same and so uses the same Duotight fittings. If you decide to use barbed fittings, which are much better at sealing and more robust than Duotight fittings, then the 4mm EVABarrier is a little more difficult to get the barbed hose tails to fit due to the smaller internal diameter. I use a heat gun to soften the 4mm EVABarrier so that it will fit in the barbed hose tails.

Yep agreed - I used 4mm diameter tubing for both my beer and gas lines. 3 meters in length works well for me for my beer and as @kmar92 has pointed out, fitting barbed fittings to 4mm diameter takes a little more care, persistence and hot water (I also cut my gas lines that were being connected to a barbed fitting on a slight angle - I found that made it easier to get a start with the tube onto the fitting). 
A fair warning though @Tricky Micky you will need strong hands and fingers coz they will definitely get a work out 😉

• Like 4