Coopers Community

US-05

Hi Brewers

Is it normal for US-05 to still be sitting on top of the wort after 18 days? It usually starts to clear from the top and drop down into the wort after 12-14 days.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

Is it normal for US-05 to still be sitting on top of the wort after 18 days? It usually starts to clear from the top and drop down into the wort after 12-14 days.

Yes mate it happens with US05 as Greeny said a cold crash and gentle bump/tap (don’t make it splash) on the side of the fermenter and it should drop. It seems almost like a paste sometimes. But it will be fine 🍻 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

Yes it is. I usually give it a gentle swirl or rock to break it up, then it usually sinks to the bottom. And as it has been said, a cold crash should fox it too. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes it is. I usually give it a gentle swirl or rock to break it up, then it usually sinks to the bottom. And as it has been said, a cold crash should fox it too. 

I noticed that myself but haven't used that yeast for ages, I much prefer Nottingham/MJ M44 West Coast Ale Yeast or similar.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

Mate wait until you use Verdant yeast it just stays as a thick white blanket on top of the yeast once you do a cold crash it then disappears 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1