Coopers Community

Attack of the midgies

I woke up this morning to find midgies everywhere around my Kegerator taps.

Now I have insect glue traps, apple cider vinegar with detergent in a tray all in place.

It has helped and have caught quite a few but it seems like they are arriving in squadrons.

Any other solutions you guys have would be most appreciated.

I have been brewing for over 5 yrs now & never had a problem.

And to make it even more frustrating I just had the whole house sprayed for its yearly birthday 2 weeks ago as I have a Queenslander on stumps, so always have a yearly check & spray for spiders and termites etc (all clear for termites thank goodness). 

‘This is driving me nuts. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

IMG_5130.jpeg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Now I have insect glue traps, apple cider vinegar with detergent in a tray all in place.

It has helped and have caught quite a few but it seems like they are arriving in squadrons.

And to make it even more frustrating I just had the whole house sprayed for its yearly birthday 2 weeks ago as I have a Queenslander on stumps, so always have a yearly check & spray for spiders and termites etc (all clear for termites thank goodness). 

IMG_5130.jpeg

Hey RD, apart from being a Croweater I have not heard of them, I suppose who have seen this.

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/clean-and-green/natural-environment-and-water/biodiversity-in-brisbane/wildlife-in-brisbane/pest-animals-and-invasive-species/biting-midges-in-brisbane

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co, maybe I’ll move down your way and be your neighbour. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Ok, maybe just do a Taproom instead, less hassle. 🤔 But then we would still need beer.

It’s a real worry how a lot of these Craft Breweries are in trouble.

I have said before the guy that owns the LHBS in my town has bought the pub across the road, it’s nothing flash by any stretch, but is charging you anywhere between $14-$16 a schooner of Craft Beer.

I have lived here all my life and the working class folk around my parts can’t afford that (remember the good old days I used to have a session on $50), now you would need $300-$400 on Craft Beer. 
‘Not when you can head 5 mins away and go to my local footy club and have a few schooners for $6-$7 a go. 
‘Guess that’s why I’m a home brewer these days. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I have said before the guy that owns the LHBS in my town has bought the pub across the road, it’s nothing flash by any stretch, but is charging you anywhere between $14-$16 a schooner of Craft Beer.

I have lived here all my life and the working class folk around my parts can’t afford that (remember the good old days I used to have a session on $50), now you would need $300-$400 on Craft Beer. 
‘Not when you can head 5 mins away and go to my local footy club and have a few schooners for $6-$7 a go. 

Absolutely, I agree, I go to the local maybe once a week & only ever have 2-3 schooners, they have a monthly special, $6.50 which is pretty good especially if it is Coopers Pale Ale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yup. It's the price point. In the good times it's all OK to splurge on a $15 craft beer. High inflation and interest rates and punters are either foregoing the beer or buying something cheaper. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

IMG_5130.jpeg

Yeah reading the thread reminds me of the time I was camping in the NT. Never heard of midges before being a southerner and mozzies pretty much left me alone so I thought I was safe by not putting on repellent. I didn't realise they were biting me. It felt like itchiness rather than a biting like a mozzie. Woke the next morning and my mate said it looks like I got chicken pox. Literally bit the 💩  out of me.

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2024 at 3:43 PM, Red devil 44 said:

IMG_5130.jpeg

Those glue traps are pointless. I have one hanging in my brewery to keep the flies at bay, especially those tiny little buggers. The trap has been hanging there for 4 weeks and caught a grand total of 2 insects, one not even being a fly. Liquid traps work well but you have to empty and refill them once or twice a week or they will smell the place out big time. I once thought the brew dog left a landmine in the brewery and tried to find it when I realised the stink came from the fly trap. 

I don't think the fly issue was as bad last year, so I hope it was just related to the hot and wet summer, creating ideal breeding conditions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Those glue traps are pointless. I have one hanging in my brewery to keep the flies at bay, especially those tiny little buggers. The trap has been hanging there for 4 weeks and caught a grand total of 2 insects, one not even being a fly. Liquid traps work well but you have to empty and refill them once or twice a week or they will smell the place out big time. I once thought the brew dog left a landmine in the brewery and tried to find it when I realised the stink came from the fly trap. 

I don't think the fly issue was as bad last year, so I hope it was just related to the hot and wet summer, creating ideal breeding conditions. 

Have you tried leaving some beer in a bowl nearby, it works in the garden so why not a brewery.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Have you tried leaving some beer in a bowl nearby, it works in the garden so why not a brewery.

They don't even care if there is a malt pipe full of wet grain sitting there. They still try to gun for my tea or beer. Ok, I wouldn't want the grain either, if I could have beer 🙂 

• Haha 4