Coopers Community

90 minute boil when using Pilsner malt?

I've come across several articles, where they say that when using predominantly Pilsner malt in a brew, it should be boiled for 90 minutes to allow for DMS to boil off.  Then again, there are those who say with modern Pilsner malts, this is not required and a rolling or vigorous boil is sufficient to boil off DMS. Now here's the bit that got me a little. With the heat exchanger plate attached to the bottom screen of the BZ4, a vigorous boil is not happening, even a rolling boil is a rarity. Which makes me think that maybe I should start boiling longer.

I use a fair bit of Pilsner malt and can't say I have noticed any sulphur smell or taste in my beers but in my quest to improve my brews, I may employ longer boils if necessary. It adds 30 minutes and two litres of water to the brew day but I can live with that. 

Are you boiling for 90 minutes when using Pilsner malt? Have you noticed any sulphur flavours or aromas in your predominantly Pilsner malt brews? 

There is so much conflicting information out there, where people say 45-minute boils are sufficient, some say to keep the lid on until 15 minutes before the end of the boil, and others say to never boil with the lid on because it doesn't allow the pre-cursors to diacetyl to boil off. I've always employed a 60-minute boil with the lid off and can't complain about the results. Occasionally, I boiled for longer but only when a recipe asked for it. 

So, what are your practices and why?

• Like 1

I only boil for 60 except for my asian lagers which go for 90 as that seems to help with clarity. I did boil a duvel clone a while back which went for over 2 hours as i got sidetracked. That recipe is just straight pilsener malt. Can't recall any difference it made. I always boil lid off for the reasons you stated. 

Give it a try mate and see if you can notice any difference.

• Like 1

I also have read the arguments about 90-minute boils or not with Pilsner malts but always elected to do 90-minutes with lid off.  I have not made a Pilsner with a 60-minute boil so cannot comment if any different.  I did however do some Simple Summer Pilsner recipes with a 70-minute boil and did not notice any difference in those. 

Like Greeny I also do 90-minute boils on brews with rice or corn additions, my 1911 Carlsberg Pilsner and my Budweiser clones come to mind.  

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I've come across several articles, where they say that when using predominantly Pilsner malt in a brew, it should be boiled for 90 minutes to allow for DMS to boil off.  Then again, there are those who say with modern Pilsner malts, this is not required and a rolling or vigorous boil is sufficient to boil off DMS. Now here's the bit that got me a little. With the heat exchanger plate attached to the bottom screen of the BZ4, a vigorous boil is not happening, even a rolling boil is a rarity. Which makes me think that maybe I should start boiling longer.

I use a fair bit of Pilsner malt and can't say I have noticed any sulphur smell or taste in my beers but in my quest to improve my brews, I may employ longer boils if necessary. It adds 30 minutes and two litres of water to the brew day but I can live with that. 

Are you boiling for 90 minutes when using Pilsner malt? Have you noticed any sulphur flavours or aromas in your predominantly Pilsner malt brews? 

There is so much conflicting information out there, where people say 45-minute boils are sufficient, some say to keep the lid on until 15 minutes before the end of the boil, and others say to never boil with the lid on because it doesn't allow the pre-cursors to diacetyl to boil off. I've always employed a 60-minute boil with the lid off and can't complain about the results. Occasionally, I boiled for longer but only when a recipe asked for it. 

I’ve always done 60minute boils with Pilsners/Lagers haven’t had a bad one yet???? (Touch wood 🪵

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:25 AM, Aussiekraut said:

When using Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt, which is an under-modified malt, I mostly do 90 minute boils.  I do that because others recommend it for that type of Pilsner.  But I have used it in Czech Pilsners, with only a 60 minute boil.  I did not notice any negative/off flavours.

Other Pilsners, like Gladfield, Joe White, etc, I mostly do 60 minute boils.  Others say modern Pilsner malt does not need a longer boil.  I find 60 minutes is fine.

Oh, and I always boil with the lid off.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

When using Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt, which is an under-modified malt, I mostly do 90 minute boils.  I do that because others recommend it for that type of Pilsner.  But I have used it in Czech Pilsners, with only a 60 minute boil.  I did not notice any negative/off flavours.

Other Pilsners, like Gladfield, Joe White, etc, I mostly do 60 minute boils.  Others say modern Pilsner malt does not need a longer boil.  I find 60 minutes is fine.

Oh, and I always boil with the lid off.

I've only ever done 90-minute boils with Pilsner malt. I usually use Weyermann Premium Pilsner Malt. I just came across this article and it got me thinking. Not that I ever noticed any sulphur flavour or smell. I usually associate sulphur with lager yeast. Well, I made a double batch of Helles yesterday and boiled it for 90 minutes, just for S&Gs. If nothing else, it will help make the beer clearer from the start 🙂 

And yes, always with the lid off. The lid is only on during heating up and mashing and at the end, during the whirlpool, just to keep the curious flies out.

• Like 1