Coopers Community

Suggestions please

Got myself a few hops I never tried before and need some inspiration. Got some Wai-Iti and some Taiheke which could go well in a Kiwi inspired brew. The Strata and Superdelic I have no idea what to use for. I also have a s**t tonne of other hops I can use to combine them with. 

any suggestions are welcome. I’ll be brewing AG but even kit recipes may help come up with something. 

IMG_9938.thumb.jpeg.0844ab3c66dec71007b61313163112f9.jpegIMG_9941.thumb.jpeg.25fbc749e53584ce0d100f0dac70a4f6.jpeg

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind having a crack at a nice crisp fruity Pilsner using those Wai-iti hops.  For the others (Taiheke & Superdelic) paired with either/or Nelson Sauvin, Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe, Chinook to produce something along the lines of a nice hoppy summertime IPA.  Don't know about Strata hops.

• Like 2

The ROTM "Cali Coast IPA" used Strata in connection with Chinook, it was a very nice beer. When I was in Brazil two years ago Strata was the latest craze in their IPA's and NEIPA's. I also used Wai-Iti in an Copa k&k and from memory was quiet nice.

• Like 2

Thanks, guys

I'm going to use the Strata in a red ale kinda beer. Single hop, a goodly amount of Red X, some Pale malt, a little wheat, a little rye and a bit of Caramunich II for extra colour. Should make for a malty, fruity, moderately hoppy brew. Not sure about the yeast. I'll probably opt for trusty old US-05 or maybe Nottingham. I'll use a medium body mash profile, so I can keep some sweetness without going bonkers. That should make a decent beer.

I like the idea of the Wai-Iti in a fruity pilsner style beer. I need to figure out how to do that. The hops only have 1.5%AA, so I probably need to employ a bittering hop too. Possibly some SAAZ to suite the style. 

I might try the others as is in a single hop ale to get a better feel of the hop. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I like the idea of the Wai-Iti in a fruity pilsner style beer. I need to figure out how to do that. The hops only have 1.5%AA, so I probably need to employ a bittering hop too. Possibly some SAAZ to suite the style. 

The Pilsner I was thinking of would be bittered with Motueka which was formally known as Saaz-B or B-Saaz then the 100 g of Wai-iti used as a dry hop.  The Wai-iti has a low Alpha-Beta ratio which means it tends to "hop fade" quicker so you would need to drink early to get the fruity aromas I would think.  The Motueka has an average 1:1 to 2:1 Alpha-Beta ration so would hang around much longer and may bully the Wai-iti out of the way later on.

Pilsner Hop Combo.PNG

Edited by iBooz2